Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 04:11 AM

403 posts, read 363,557 times

Advertisements

Hi All, Ill be flying into LAX with United, and have an hour 15 minutes to get through Virgin America for my flight to Hawaii. Wht would be the best way to get to Terminal 3 (not sure what terminal United is..) and will I have to go through security again? Cutting it close, praying I will make it.
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 10:12 AM

126 posts, read 117,152 times
Google is a powerful tool . . .

Quote:
Most inter-terminal connections require passengers to exit security, then walk or use a shuttle bus to get to the other terminal, then re-clear security. A few LAX terminals provide airside connections, which allow connecting passengers to access other terminals without having to re-clear through security.
United is in terminal 6. You get to experience the joys of the NSA in LAX, which IMO is among the worst in the country.

A Basic Guide to Los Angeles International Airport | Discover Los Angeles

Old 08-17-2016, 10:21 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,797,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oasiscakes View Post
Hi All, Ill be flying into LAX with United, and have an hour 15 minutes to get through Virgin America for my flight to Hawaii. Wht would be the best way to get to Terminal 3 (not sure what terminal United is..) and will I have to go through security again? Cutting it close, praying I will make it.
Thanks in advance!
If you are able to walk without large bags, I'd exit the terminal go left until you can cross the street into the parking lot, then walk across the parking lot and exit out the other side, walk left until you get to terminal three. Departures are on the upper floor. I've never taken the shuttles.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:40 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,205,038 times
Quote:
Thanks in advance!
I'd never exit the terminals if I had that short of connection time if I had any other option.

Suggestions: Call Virgin and ask. Ask at your home flight....or Ask when you exit the plane in LAX.

It's been years since I had to switch terminals at LAX, and they had a shuttle waiting which took us to the terminal.

Personally, I always go for the ticket with at least a 2 hour layover.....there can be too much stress deplaning imo

I have literally run across MSP airport in the past.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:44 AM

672 posts, read 2,174,684 times
Yeah, transferring between terminals is a nightmare at LAX.

The official way is to exit baggage claim, cross to the island between the roads under the blue sign, and wait for shuttle "A".

If I don't have big bags, I usually walk, but, it is easy to get lost trying to cross the maze of parking lots in the middle of the terminal.

Old 08-17-2016, 03:06 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,970,556 times
Quote:
Thanks in advance!
I'd bet it's about 50/50 that you miss your connection. The Tom Bradley International Terminal and Terminals 4-8 are connected behind security, so you'd be in OK shape if you were flying out of one of those. Terminals 1, 2, and 3 are not connected behind security. If you walk at a decent clip, it'll probably take 10-15 minutes to walk from Terminal 7 to Terminal 3. TSA can be anywhere from 15 to 45 minutes, TSA pre-check may help. The A shuttle might be faster if traffic isn't crazy AND you happen to catch one right when you get to the curb. You still will have to go through TSA. The closer you are the front of the plane on the Unitef flight (The less time you have to wait to get off once you're at the gate), the better your chances of making it. If you're trying to claim and re-check a bag or if your flight is delayed more than 15 minutes, I'm going to downgrade your odds to just above 0%.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:14 AM

403 posts, read 363,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike121 View Post
Yeah, transferring between terminals is a nightmare at LAX.

The official way is to exit baggage claim, cross to the island between the roads under the blue sign, and wait for shuttle "A".

If I don't have big bags, I usually walk, but, it is easy to get lost trying to cross the maze of parking lots in the middle of the terminal.
Yes, this is actually what I did! Surprisingly did not miss my flight and it was rather very easy, and QUICK. I got in with United, had to baggage claim because there wasn't enough overhead space, took the shuttle "A" and switched over to Virgin America, which had NO lines whatsoever. I was literally out and in under 45 minutes.. but I may the lucky few.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:44 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,205,038 times
Good deal! Hope you enjoyed Hawaii!

Old 09-13-2016, 04:22 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,925,995 times
The best way is to allow plenty of time.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:21 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,650,994 times
The best thing to do is have your bags checked through to your final destination - that way you don't have to worry about getting your bags and rechecking them. Save a lot of time but may not always be possible if using different airlines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: