Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 07:05 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times

Advertisements

I was just reading a thread about someone moving to Long Beach, but another poster mentioning that it's often a far commute to the 'job centers'.

Which made me think...if someone were to list 4-5 areas where most jobs are usually located, what 4-5 areas would those be?

The entire L.A. metro included...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 07:19 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
Century City, downtown LA, parts of Irvine and Anaheim and the city of Orange. But generally jobs can be really spaced out.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:30 PM

23,535 posts, read 24,029,400 times
Downtown LA, Pasadena, El Segundo, Century City, Woodland Hills/SF Valley and Long Beach. But, I don't believe there is really one "job center" in LA. Lucky people live close to their jobs. The less fortunate ones live on one side of town and commute in. It accounts for the hectic traffic conditions seen on the freeways and roads during commute hours.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:31 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,540,341 times
You just have to look at sigalert.com in the morning to see where the job centers are:

Santa Monica
Century City
Downtown L.A.
Irvine
Burbank/Glendale/Pasadena

I think those are my top 5, but I'm sure there are more...

Old 09-26-2012, 07:32 PM

215 posts, read 490,993 times
^^^I would say this is a definitive list right here.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:47 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
In a region as huge as SoCal, there's jobs everywhere, not just in a half dozen spots.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:23 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,307,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
You just have to look at sigalert.com in the morning to see where the job centers are:

Santa Monica
Century City
Downtown L.A.
Irvine
Burbank/Glendale/Pasadena

I think those are my top 5, but I'm sure there are more...
Pretty accurate. Santa Monica didn't become a hotspot for offices until recently, but now it's comparable to Downtown LA (which has always been the case, in the 90s traffic was bad going eastbound on the 10 in the AM because of all the westsiders who worked there) and Century City.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:40 AM

671 posts, read 1,190,621 times
Uh, Long Beach is a job center itself. Frankly, there are countless "job centers" in the Metro LA area. However, certain industries or professions are often located in certain "job centers." For example, Downtown and Century City/Beverly Hills is attorney and financial services HEAVEN. There is a never ending number of law firms one can skip around to in downtown LA alone. To a much smaller scale, there is a concentration of attorneys in Newport Beach, but not on the scale of DTLA, but it is still a "job center" with other corporate offices and some financial services opportunities.

Pasadena has Parsons and Jacobs for a fair number of Engineering related jobs. The South Bay is also good for engineers and other designers and anyone in the petroleum industry. For the most part, a fair number of engineers still live in the Mid-Cites/Gateway area of LA County because it is close enough to their "job center."

All the other places mentioned in the previous posts are the best know "job centers" but depending upon your

Old 09-27-2012, 10:26 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,546,640 times
There is a term for job centers in large metropolitan areas, they call them "boomburbs", which is basically used to describe a suburban city or area of a metropolitan area with a hub of economic activity that helps to support the economies of the areas immediately adjacent to it. A "boomburb" is more or less a job center for a specific area in the Metropolitan region.

In Orange County, Irvine is definitely a "boomburb" as it is full of corporate offices that employ people from all over Orange County and even the Inland Empire. Anaheim is another "boomburb" to a lesser extent.

In L.A. County, it would be places like the Westwood-Century City corridor in West LA, Long Beach along the water front, Woodland Hills and the Warner Center out in the Valley, Burbank-Glendale-Universal City with all of the media and related production there. Santa Clarita is sort of emerging as a boomburb in the tech, aerospace and TV production industries. Lancaster is a boomburb in the health care and aerospace industries.

In Ventura County, Simi Valley and Thousand Oaks are the "boomburbs" where most of the better paying jobs are.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:21 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
Downtown Long Beach is very small and doesn't have that many jobs available and they often don't pay that well. A lot of people in LB work in downtown LA or the OC and live in LB because of the cheap rents and proximity to the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles