Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 04:46 PM

34 posts, read 63,470 times

Advertisements

I'm moving from Dallas, TX to LA at the end of January. My plan was to drive my '03 Subaru Forester with a small(5x8, maybe?), enclosed trailer towing behind. As you can imagine, I have a lot of questions a few being:

- What kind of terrain/weather can I expect on the drive? Driving through West TX & NM during the winter has me a little worried.

- Will an '03 Forester safely tow(and stop..) a full trailer that size(I'm really only bringing clothes, books, kitchen stuff, & a coffee table)?

- Has anyone tried a U-Haul truck that distance with 2 people, 2 dogs, and a cat? (This is Plan B.)

Any insight and tips are greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 06:18 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,001,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achenn View Post
(I'm really only bringing clothes, books, kitchen stuff, & a coffee table)?
My suggestion is ditch the coffee table and ship whatever doesn't fit in your car. I doubt it will cost much more than the U-Haul trailer rental + trailer hitch install fee (if you don't already have one installed.) If you really think about it, spending lots of money and energy to bring along inexpensive belongings doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Have the second person fly out with the pets.

To answer your towing question though look up the two rating of your car. I believe U-Haul lists the weight of their trailers online. To be conservative figure a few hundred pounds for your belongings. The only catch is getting the tongue weight right.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:24 PM

Ah, the coffee table was handmade by my grandfather- it's got to come with! It doesn't weigh much thought, and I planned to flip it upside down and stack boxes in the space between the legs.

Thanks for your input!

Old 09-30-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by achenn View Post
Ah, the coffee table was handmade by my grandfather- it's got to come with!
Or you can ship it if it's that important to you. My brother just moved from Chicago to LA and hired movers. He said if he could do it all over again he'd toss the old stuff, save the $2700 movers fee, and put that money towards new furniture. You seem to be in the fortunate situation of not having lots of pricey furniture to bring along.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:30 PM

Yea, that's precisely why we're getting rid of everything else- bed, sofa & chair, dining table & chairs, etc.
I'll look into shipping the table, thanks.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:53 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,163,725 times
You already have some great tips on everything else, so I'll speak to the terrain question. In my younger days, I toured with bands and made that TX-to-LA trip probably about 4-5 times. Once or twice in the Winter, once in a full sized van with trailer. I'm assuming you're taking the 20 to the 10, and then the 10 the rest of the way... It can get cold in NM and AZ. Generally it's not too wet, but there can definitely be some black ice on the road, so proceed with caution at night. The drive is mostly flat, but I do remember driving over some mountainy areas somewhere around the NM/AZ border. It's really not that bad of a drive at all. Though it does get cold going through the desert in winter. We literally had 1/4" thick ice build up on the inside windows of the van.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:59 PM

Yea, 20-10 seemed to be the best route.
I planned to time the drive so that we could drive through NM & AZ (mostly) during daylight hours to give us a bit of an edge on the ice. Hopefully this winter won't be too bad! Do you think making it all in one shot is doable? There will be two drivers.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:38 PM

Straight through would be about 24 hours. I'd split it up into two days. When I used to do Chicago to FL I'd drive as far as I could stand the first day.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:30 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,163,725 times
Yeah, one shot is going to be rough. I once did Seattle to LA in one shot (20hrs, 3 drivers), and it was brutal.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:37 AM

103 posts, read 167,144 times
I will be doing the same move from Houston to LA at the end of February. I've decided to use Moving Companies | U-Pack: The Money Saving Alternative to Traditional Moving and just drive my car rather than a moving truck. It's a bit more expensive, I calculate less than $500 difference over a truck/gas & car trailer. That's a full apartment in 2 pods. When I was younger I moved a similar distance in a moving truck and it was not comfortable at all, and that was just by myself. With 2 of us and a cat, I plan to split the drive to 2 days in Tuscon but I live on i10 already so it's a straight shot. 20+ hours is a long drive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles