Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 03:13 PM

19 posts, read 30,119 times

Advertisements

Why is there so many people wearing scrubs on the street, in stores, restaurants, shopping mall....everywhere? Don't they change between commute and work and during breaks?

Often time, I get asked if LA is a mega medical city and I never knew why they asked. Now and more and more I have noticed this scrubs wearing thing is really making me shocked. Is it....right?

I see people wearing them smoking during breaks, walking across the street between car smog, eating in food court, restrooms, shopping..... That really makes me wonder what's going on? A trend or fashion?

To me, it represents the professionalism no matter what jobs it is in the organization or facility, which the staff should be cleaned in and cleaned out. What's going on?

Have you all noticed? And is it OK for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 03:19 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,582,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanhan View Post
Often time, I get asked if LA is a mega medical city
I have lived in the LA area for 47 years. No one has ever asked me that question.

You actually expect people who work in the medical field to change out of the medical garb? Has anyone ever done that anywhere?

Old 10-05-2012, 03:26 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,803,586 times
Quote:
the staff should be cleaned in and cleaned out.
Ouch. By whom and with what methods should this be accomplished? Not sure many would want their employer to clean them in and out.

As for the scrubs thing, health care employees, doctors, nurses, etc. have always done this, at least in the L.A. area. My dad's an Ob/Gyn in the South Bay area, and having grown up in the hospital environment, I've seen that they all cruise around in their scrubs. Kind of a status thing, actually. We used to have to remind pops to check and make sure there's not too much blood on 'em if he's going out to lunch or shopping, cuz it's going to gross out somebody, somewhere.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:50 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,841,722 times
Definitely a status thing.

Sort of like how city and county employees keep their badges on when they are allowed to go outside their buildings.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:54 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,379,761 times
I notice doctors office workers wearing scrubs when their interaction with the patient is limited to answering the phone and handing you a clipboard. What's the point of that?

Old 10-05-2012, 04:07 PM

4,484 posts, read 9,266,217 times
Are scrubs fulfilling their purpose if they're worn around town? Isn't the purpose of scrubs to help maintain a clean, sterile environment? Coming back to work wearing the same scrubs is like not washing your hands.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
Are scrubs fulfilling their purpose if they're worn around town? Isn't the purpose of scrubs to help maintain a clean, sterile environment? Coming back to work wearing the same scrubs is like not washing your hands.
If it's a status thing, then the purpose is to declare "I'm a doctor/nurse."

It's also a classic CA "I don't give a ___ what anybody thinks - they're comfortable, and I like them." Doctors can be socially awkward types, like computer geeks, who may be brilliant at one thing but not so much in the social arena, including stuff like fashion or appearance, of which they may essentially not care about.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:09 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,607,848 times
On the Westside it's usually surgeons who're dressed in scrubs (ugly aqua green) when going about doing chores or shopping. And it's not because they're on their way to & from work either. My friend's brother who does cardio-thoracic admitted that it's definitely a status thing, not really for the general public but to signal to other doctors & nurses that they're SURGEONS and top of the pecking order. In the medical field there's a huge status hierarchy with surgeons feeling that they're the 1%ers who're smarter, more skilled & God's gift to mankind.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:36 PM

19 posts, read 30,119 times
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I have lived in the LA area for 47 years. No one has ever asked me that question.
Of course, medical garb is certainly not want to see in the future, haha. The problem is the people who asked me don't live in LA, that's the point!

I never really noticed and realized either until recently considering myself living in LA lesser time than you all.

Thinking about the longest stays I have been in Canada and Asia, I really don't see it there. People in Asia even change to uniform when arriving at work and back to casual when going home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Ouch. By whom and with what methods should this be accomplished? Not sure many would want their employer to clean them in and out
Ohh, I am not talking about places around hospitals. That I could understand. What I am saying is on the street, on bus, stores, restaurants.....etc.

Talking about cleaned in and out......I am not saying to receive a sanitizer bath or something. At least nothing stuck on the scrubs get brought close to patient and nothing bad get brought out to public next to you. Even what they do are office work and handling clipboard, I think.

For status, I really don't mind. In fact, we would not see a doctor wearing scrubs commute on the street because they all drive good cars, haha. But seriously, they just don't wear scrubs, because that's not the way they show their status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
Coming back to work wearing the same scrubs is like not washing your hands.
It does give me such feeling, I agree!

Badges do look good so I wouldn't feel weird about seeming them. Flowery scrubs? Hmm....hehe. Must be comfy though. Well, if nothing is bad then it's good, right? I am just wondering the increase of seeing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
In the medical field there's a huge status hierarchy with surgeons feeling that they're the 1%ers who're smarter, more skilled & God's gift to mankind.
Gee, this just makes me so want to wear them too now, haha. I might go with blue one though, hehe.

Cheers,

Old 10-05-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:

Gee, this just makes me so want to wear them too now, haha. I might go with blue one though, hehe.

Cheers,
Well now you have an idea for an easy, convenient Halloween getup. Looks good with blood and surgical instruments, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles