Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 01:20 PM

37,035 posts, read 41,961,954 times

Advertisements

All places will never be all things to all people all the time. This is why folks retire to Florida or move to the 'burbs when they have kids. People tend to want different things at different points in their lives, or different things on a temporary basis. That's ok. People will always be moving in and out for a variety of reasons. Staying in one place forever and never expecting it to change and always expecting it to suit you seems kind of silly. What happens is people want something different for personal reasons but instead of just admitting that they have to complain about wherever they left, as if THE PLACE was the cause of something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 03:26 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,627,713 times
Plenty move out and plenty move here. I meet people all the time that have just moved here. Financially, a lot of people see other places as better for their future and that's understandable--although to me, LA is just a place you have to be financially savvy in to really enjoy it--in the long run. Unlike my midwestern friends who buy homes before 30, I probably won't be buying for a few years--35 at the earliest and that's fine with me. I have better weather than my friends. I have access to a wealth of different cultures and opportunities to advance my knowledge. And I always have something to do...always. All my friends are always talking about being bored and they have to take trips and etc., to have fun. Not me...LA is a destination for a lot of people, that's why you see so many tourist here. So, it's a trade off. Either be patient (and wise with your time and money) and get your THINGS later or get it now but not have much else to get.

DISCLAIMER: I'm fully aware and respect that people in other places in the U.S. might enjoy the simpler things in life or have other things that LA doesn't offer and that's fine. I'm just stating MY opinion based on what I know from growing up in the midwest and a lot of those people are always telling me they envy me. Doesn't mean their lives suck or mine is better though.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:59 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,286,436 times
Yeah that's true there is a lot to do...but also how much time does the average person have to even do a small fraction of all the things that they would like to do when you factor in working,traffic ,errands,etc?

It seems a lot of people would be better suited in smaller more affordable cities for their lifestyles. Lot's of people don't take advantage of the cultural opportunities ,etc or care.

Of course people are free to make up their own minds.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:58 PM

810 posts, read 1,336,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taydigga View Post
Plenty move out and plenty move here. I meet people all the time that have just moved here. Financially, a lot of people see other places as better for their future and that's understandable--although to me, LA is just a place you have to be financially savvy in to really enjoy it--in the long run. Unlike my midwestern friends who buy homes before 30, I probably won't be buying for a few years--35 at the earliest and that's fine with me. I have better weather than my friends. I have access to a wealth of different cultures and opportunities to advance my knowledge. And I always have something to do...always. All my friends are always talking about being bored and they have to take trips and etc., to have fun. Not me...LA is a destination for a lot of people, that's why you see so many tourist here. So, it's a trade off. Either be patient (and wise with your time and money) and get your THINGS later or get it now but not have much else to get.

DISCLAIMER: I'm fully aware and respect that people in other places in the U.S. might enjoy the simpler things in life or have other things that LA doesn't offer and that's fine. I'm just stating MY opinion based on what I know from growing up in the midwest and a lot of those people are always telling me they envy me. Doesn't mean their lives suck or mine is better though.
You've said before you're from a town close to Chicago/Milwaukee. It could be argued you grew up basically in a major metro, since Chicago/Milwaukee are so close together, and you probably weren't too far from Chicago's northern suburbs which border Wisconsin.

Did your friends ever find it odd you didn't choose an urban Chicago neighborhood (like Lincoln park or Lakeview)? I don't think Chicago offers anything close to what LA does, although on paper, it should. It always felt like something was missing...in this big city, but still in the midwest. Last place I wanna be.

I used to goto Milwaukee some weekends to visit a cousin of mine when I lived in Chicago. I remember Milwaukee only attracted people from Wisconsin. Chicago, only attracted people from nearby states, recent arrival immigrants being the exception.

I could easily go back to Chicago, have a place to stay if I wanted, but it really annoyed me when I was there, wanting to be in LA the entire time.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:46 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,768,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trancedout View Post
I don't think Chicago offers anything close to what LA does, although on paper, it should. It always felt like something was missing...
Good weather, year-round.

If Chicago had L.A.'s weather, it would likely be a much more popular place for people in the midwest to move to. But it doesn't, so many opt for SoCal.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:19 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,599,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah that's true there is a lot to do...but also how much time does the average person have to even do a small fraction of all the things that they would like to do when you factor in working,traffic ,errands,etc?

It seems a lot of people would be better suited in smaller more affordable cities for their lifestyles. Lot's of people don't take advantage of the cultural opportunities ,etc or care.

Of course people are free to make up their own minds.
That simple life leads some to boredom, a keeping up with the Joneses habit, gossip, getting a house earlier, getting in debt faster, and having kids at like 22. This all happens even in major metro area like Houston, where people marry at 18 and have their last kid at 25! This is fine if that's what you want out of life, but I cannot tell you how many people always tell me that they wish they could've done things differently. Many of these suburban moms are on painkillers, divorced twice, married twice, affairs, etc.

This is generalizing of course but the stereotypes are there and I just did not want to end up like that. If they think that living in big city is the pits well then the life they lead is the pits to me.

Houston is a major city with a small town mindset in the outer loop area. It affords people the chance to really build a life so I am glad its there anytime I want to "give up" and settle down. You can have a couple of two with no kids both making 30-40k and afford a really really decent life. That's unheard of in LA.

But there is nothing to do in the grander scheme of things. You have to really look. Beyond eating out, shopping, and drinking there is nothing too grand to do in Houston. You just live, exist and enjoy a few things on the weekends.

In LA, you really live. There is always something happening at all times. The natural beauty and activities surrounding them are breathtaking. The opportunities, endless.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:03 PM

810 posts, read 1,336,381 times
They also always argue "better to live in Houston, visit LA".

I'm sure people from Houston or Dallas do get excited about visiting LA, I doubt the reverse happens much.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:33 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,599,512 times
Quote:

I'm sure people from Houston or Dallas do get excited about visiting LA, I doubt the reverse happens much.
I know I'll be jaded when I visit Houston and my friends will get all ticked off because I will not get all too excited about the new stuff that opened up in Houston. Stuff they'll find so wildly fancy and posh and high end.

I also just hate how when night falls Houstonians turn into these arrogant douchey drunkards that think they're just partying in some extremely posh place. I mean I have to just agree because if I sound jaded then they will just think that I think I am all that and pretending like I am not impressed.

I love Houston as a hometown but I take in pieces.

Every place I visit though, I usually cannot wait to get back to LA.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:04 AM

10 posts, read 11,343 times
The reason to move from la is simple. You will never be a homeowner here unless you make lots of money. In capalism the greedy and most cut throat are the ones to get rewarded. This has moved in the a-holes and rich kids and the posh. Basically la is a bunch of a/holes now and expensive. So unless your an a-hole and like drivers cutting you off and living with a lot of self centered people your better off living in a place with people that are human . And not always in the hustle

Old 12-04-2012, 10:18 AM

62 posts, read 129,379 times
Quote:

Well, isn't that why they say it's better to VISIT LA?

I don't disagree with them.

Living in a city with a sky high cost of living isn't very practical for most people.

Sure, Houston and Dallas aren't LA, but I've found that for many people, most of this stuff comes down to mere bragging rights.

So many people brag about the things their city offer, but never take advantage of those amenities.

I know humans too well to believe otherwise. LA, NYC, SF... is no different than driving a luxury automobile. You COULD drive the other brand, and it cost less, but it's just not cool to do so.

I know many NY transplants -inbound and outbound - who stick their chests out when they tell you they live in NYC, or are from NYC.

Of course people will deny this, because it's also not cool to admit you did something just because of how others will perceive you, but it's abundantly clear that many people move to certain cities because they believe it makes them better than those they left behind in Smalltown, USA or Not As Glamorous City, USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles