Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 04:38 PM

11 posts, read 14,962 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I just found out I am being relocated due to work. Right now, I work in midtown Manhattan, and I'll be transferred to downtown LA in early 2013. I'll be working right near S Flower + Wilshire.

I'm a female in my mid twenties who currently lives in a small one bedroom in Manhattan in the east 60s. I pay 2k on rent for my small 1br here here but would like to pay significantly less (1k?) and give the car thing a shot, which I know will run me a hefty monthly payment plus insurance and gas. Because I'm coming from Manhattan, I'm very concerned about my ability to navigate the freeways and handle the traffic. It's not that I'm not going to give it a chance, and I'm sure I'll warm up to the ways of California, I just don't necessarily want to be required to drive everywhere at first, especially since I commute 10 blocks to my office right now.

My question is similar to many in this forum - given the office location - what are some neighborhoods (and even more specific - streets, intersections, good buildings) to look for apartments in or near? I'm really looking for a place that has grocery stores, restaurants, bars, and some shopping within walking distance. For commuting, I prefer rail/subway to busses always.

The metro near my office is 7th street, which means the red and purple line + blue and expo light rail. Assuming those are fine and safe to take and that I will be among many other commuters.

Here is where I have gotten in my search so far on other links. It looks most people recommend:

-Downtown (but it seems many married couples are posting about living here. is there a young single scene? Better areas than others? How do I know which are the bad blocks?)
-West Hollywood (but no metro there so sounds like I would need to drive. Would that commute downtown be terrible?)
-Santa Monica (but no public transportation either and far in terms of commute and traffic and high rent so I think I will rule it out)
-Culver City / Studio City (this seems hopeful with the expo line going directly there)
-Silver Lake (but no metro)

Since I'll be coming alone, I'm hoping to find a place filled with people my age so I can make friends and get a nice fresh start on the west coast.

Thanks in advance for all of your advice and your replies!

R
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 04:56 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,852,365 times
Rule out W. Hollywood and Santa Monica if you don't like driving. That side of town is very congested.

Silver Lake is OK even without Metro Rail because it's easy enough to get to DTLA via the local routes at Dodger Stadium and Elysian Park.

Culver City Station to DTLA's 7th/Metro Station takes about 35-40 mins on the Expo Line (I've ridden this route--a bit leisurely slow, but it's effective enough).

Old 10-14-2012, 05:03 PM

Thanks for the info genjy.

I forgot to mention Hollywood as an option, too. Seems like a lot of people are recommending in various other threads.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:11 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,307,390 times
I agree that traffic from Santa Monica and West Hollywood to dtla is awful. Even though West Hollywood is approximately 8 miles east of santa monica, the surface streets to get to dtla are some of the most congested. Santa monica at least you have access to the 10 freeway, but it's a good 15 miles and the 10 can get really bad.

Silver Lake is a good option, Los Feliz, and the nice part of Hollywood.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:49 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,170,652 times
A buddy of mine lived in Culver City for a while. Mid-late 20s, single. He loved living there. Good singles scene and nightlife. I'd also recommend Silver Lake. The 1K a month plan is probably not going to work out in any reasonably nice/safe place in LA unless you want a roommate.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:45 PM

193 posts, read 465,476 times
just to let you know, Santa Monica has a bus (the Santa Monica 10) that takes you to DTLA from SM via the 10. Public transportation in LA of course isnt NYC level but its not as terrible as youre making it up to be and its actually pretty good depending on what part of LA you live and where you work

edit: but 1k for a 1 bedroom would NEVER happen

Old 10-14-2012, 11:16 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,307,390 times
^well, 1k for a bedroom can happen in the ghetto.

For the nicer parts of LA you're looking on average at 1500 for a one bedroom.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:38 AM

27 posts, read 64,404 times
The traffic from West Hollywood is NOT awful. I live in West Hollywood, near the corner of Melrose and Fairfax, and commute to DTLA every day. It has never taken me more than 25 minutes to get to work and 35 to get home. The key is to stay off the freeway and take surface streets. That may sound like a long time, but I have the shortest commute of anyone in the office. I also took public transportation for a couple of months...hopped on a bus a block from my apartment and took it all the way downtown. That took longer, maybe 40 minutes. The great thing about Weho is it will feel the closest (in my opinion) to living in NYC other than living in DTLA. I am able to walk everywhere or bike and only get in the car to go to work and the beach. Would definitely recommend this area.

Although, my studio is around $1,000. You won't find a one bedroom for less than $1300. DTLA is a little cheaper.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:34 AM

Thanks all.

$1500 is fine, although, I'm not opposed to living with roommates since I won't know many people. I'm also not opposed to a studio (less to furnish!)

fkinteh - that's very helpful. Can you suggest any specific buildings? I'm going to look in the WeHo area, I'll start with those streets - it seems like it will best fit for my needs and my personality. I don't mind a 20-30min commute as long as I am avoiding the big highways on the way in and out (haven't driven on one of those in a long time). I just think a one hour commute would be terrible. I also may not be commuting during typical work hours (maybe 10-6 or 7) so that might help the traffic situation.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:47 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
My wife works very close to where you'll be - Wilshire and Figueroa. We live in Central Hollywood near Cahuenga and Hollywood Blvd. My wife drives to work about half of the time and takes the subway the other half - she prefers the subway to driving but for work-related reasons has to have her car some days (large files). We pay around 1300 for a 1-bedroom in a very recently renovated building from the 30s. I honestly think Central Hollywood is more like NYC living than West Hollywood, but they are both good options.

Central Hollywood vs. West Hollywood is a toss-up, it really depends on what you prefer... WeHo is more bougie and upscale and it's more trendy while Central Hollywood is grittier while still having a similar trendy element, just to a lesser degree. Lots of college-age kids because of the Musicians Institute and LA Film School plus a lot of other entertainment-related trade schools. Personally I prefer Central Hollywood to West Hollywood but many, many people see it the other way.

Franklin Village is a great little mini-neighborhood in Hollywood that is perfect for your commute because not only is it very close to the Hollywood / Vine station, it is also right next to the 101 freeway for car-commuting if you decide to go that route. It is close to a Gelson's (upscale supermarket) and Ralph's (regular supermarket) an Upright Citizen's Brigade theater, a couple of nice restaurants, bookstore/record store and a few bars. It's a really nice area just a little bit pricey (though 1500 should be plenty for a 1 bedroom).

Also the area near the Sunset / Vermont station in East Hollywood is nice and very close to Sunset Junction / Silverlake area. I am less familiar with this area but it is sort of up-and-coming and has great proximity to Central Hollywood, Silverlake / Echo Park and Downtown LA.

Downtown is also a pretty good option and definitely gives you the most NYC-like experience. Target just opened up there and there is a very popular Ralph's close to your office. The blocks are really hit and miss and there is not a lot of rhyme or reason to which blocks are nice and which are sketchy. The good news is Downtown is exploding in a good way, and in a few years those really sketchy blocks that are mostly empty shops will be filled in. I just think Downtown is a little over-priced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles