Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 06:32 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,554,196 times

Advertisements

What kind of jobs are generally available in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 09:52 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,763,289 times
All kinds, literally, since LB is one of the biggest cities in the state and is an urban area on its own. It's also one of the few cities in the US with its own major airport and seaport.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:53 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,151,776 times
They have a Boeing plant at the Long Beach Airport, plus some cargo. Even Toyota!

Old 10-16-2012, 10:28 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,554,196 times
This is good news. I was born in Long Beach, and lived in the area when I was very young. My family moved, so I was raised in Northern CA. I've been wanting to move back Southern CA for awhile. It is good that there are more opportunities there. What are the other ways that Long Beach is different from Sacramento, besides the ocean of course.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:45 AM

671 posts, read 1,190,469 times
Sea Launch has Long Beach as their home port. Petroleum is still a major industry there, as well. There is still quite a bit of oil in Long Beach. Also, Long Beach is the nation's 2nd largest port just after the adjacent Port of Los Angeles. Considering the significant oil over the decades and the huge business of the port, I have always wondered where all the money went as Long Beach is only a bit smaller than Seattle, but Long Beach still has its problems and doesn't seem to have the oodles of money one would expect.

Also, Long Beach has its own symphony and opera.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:30 AM

8,318 posts, read 13,447,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryKerryJr View Post
Considering the significant oil over the decades and the huge business of the port, I have always wondered where all the money went as Long Beach is only a bit smaller than Seattle, but Long Beach still has its problems and doesn't seem to have the oodles of money one would expect.
Really, with the usual hordes of corrupt, greedy and all around useless officials and politicians coming and going, is it really a big mystery?
How are the city officials stupid and useless? Well, look at all the existing big companies they scared off and caused them to relocate their business, including Boeing.
Many big players considered Long Beach for various reasons to open a shop at then silently(?) shied away.

Joy, there are all kinds of opportunities but the question is, what can you do well? What field is your niche?
That said, finding the better jobs, with mad skills or connections, is harder than it has ever due to you know what...

Good luck.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:47 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle Oh Elle View Post
They have a Boeing plant at the Long Beach Airport,
Much of which just sold:

Boeing sells 717 site in final Douglas Park land deal - ContraCostaTimes.com

Old 10-17-2012, 09:47 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,151,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Oh, I didn't know. My dad worked there years ago. Well, another one bites the dust. The aircraft manufacturing industry is weaker and weaker since outsourcing.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:09 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,077,874 times
Fast food, I guess. Also there's quite a lot of restaurants and bars in downtown and in Belmont Shores.

Honestly there's not that many jobs in Long Beach. A lot of people who live in LB work in other towns, like in Orange County, in downtown LA, in nearby towns like Lakewood and Norwalk and so on, etc.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:49 PM

8,318 posts, read 13,447,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle Oh Elle View Post
Oh, I didn't know. My dad worked there years ago. Well, another one bites the dust. The aircraft manufacturing industry is weaker and weaker since outsourcing.
I think after your dad left, Boeing probably figured what is the point of keeping this location going without OEO's dad and closed shop.

OK, that was a joke. Outsourcing might have something to do with it, heck it effected almost every career/company but with Boeing and other major companies, it was the overall cost of business in LB which was increasing frequently so they decided to move most of their operation some place much cheaper. Can you blame them?
When the big companies like that move, they typically either take their employees or lay them off which means loss of well-paying jobs or higher unemployment/worse job market, not to forget the financial burden additional unemployment creates for the State.

Many small businesses (retail/food) around suffer too because of this loss. It is like a chain reaction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles