Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 02:43 AM

153 posts, read 287,982 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I currently live in Miami Beach and I absolutely love it. I am a student and my major is Computer Science.

Let me first say this. Before moving to Miami (from Europe), I went to Miami forum and they all said "WTF is wrong with you, do yourself a favour and don't come here, etc." The biggest favour I did to myself was not listening to those (looking for a non-offensive way to describe them - couldn't find it) people.

But I never intended to live in Miami forever. I ALWAYS loved Los Angeles, mainly because of Hollywood and the life style of it you see on movies and TV. But I am deciding for my life here. Not right now, because I'm not planning on moving for another year, but still.

Let me describe myself little first. I am 20 years old, like I said, I am getting my Bachelor's in computer science and at the same time I'm an aspiring writer. I am finishing my last chapter on my novel and I've written more than 100 poems - so besides being a computer engineer, I love writing too. As for relationships, I love women, flings and serious relationships but what I am most interested in, is my career. Still though, is dating as easy as it is in Miami? I mean, are women uptight?

So, with my aspiring career of computer engineering, where would you recommend me to continue my life, pursue my American dream?

And I've noticed this forum has A LOT LESS depressed people, so that's really refreshing.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, I love how people are polite here in Miami, even though everyone keep saying how rude they are... maybe I find them polite because I'm comparing them to Europeans (they are the most impolite people in the world), so, are people in general less, more or as polite as in Miami?

And thank you in advance for all the answers, I love reading this forum, already spend 2 hours now here.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:44 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,151,520 times
They are all over CD, unfortunately.

Have you actually considered living in San Francisco? I've been a couple times and it seems a perfect blend of the two, plus almost all of the jobs up there are high-tech or computer-related.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:12 AM

1,018 posts, read 1,850,028 times
A lot of social media companies, like Twitter, have set up in San Francisco. You should take a look at least.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:48 AM

153 posts, read 287,982 times
I never considered San Francisco but I looked it up and apparently San Francisco and San Jose are good cities.

I am finishing my associates in Miami and I'm now searching for a city where to finish my Bachelor's so right now, I'm actually city-shopping and any help, info or guidance will help, as to career opportunities etc.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter94941 View Post
I never considered San Francisco but I looked it up and apparently San Francisco and San Jose are good cities.

I am finishing my associates in Miami and I'm now searching for a city where to finish my Bachelor's so right now, I'm actually city-shopping and any help, info or guidance will help, as to career opportunities etc.
I will send you a direct message later.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:09 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,553,925 times
Go to SF/Silicon Valley for a few years, make a lot of money in Tech. Then move to L.A. or NY and purse your writing. Your young enough to do that.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
Go to SF/Silicon Valley for a few years, make a lot of money in Tech. Then move to L.A. or NY and purse your writing. Your young enough to do that.
Unfortunately there aren't going to be many options for him. He pretty much has to finish up a degree in FL, because as I wrote to him in a long direct message, most credits won't transfer to CA schools unless you would like to spend longer on a degree. I'm not sure how he could get by seriously in tech without a degree, unless it involves business.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:58 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,850,028 times
The San Francisco Bay Area is a good place to be a writer, there are strong communities of writers here and many interested readers. There are even a few bookstores left (e.g., Kepler's just reopened). What we don't have is the writing business--publishing is primarily in New York, and filmmaking is primarily in Los Angeles

Old 10-21-2012, 09:32 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Can't you do novels and other kinds of writing from anywhere? You don't have to be in LA for that? I'm moving to LA for screenwriting, but that is a writing field where you really need to be in LA.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:01 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,625,585 times
Writing, engineering, computers? SF >>>>>>LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles