Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 01:03 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,159,652 times

Advertisements

Austin has a lot more than just 6th Street. You've got South Congress Avenue, the Warehouse District, the up-and-coming East Side, great BBQ, things going on at UT, the Hill Country nearby, Barton Springs, and San Antonio and all of its tourist attractions (Riverwalk, missions, the Alamo, etc.) 90 minutes or so down the road. Still, it's a metro of under 2 million people compared to Dallas or Houston's 6-7 million and LA's 12 million. So, by comparison, it does seem small.

Back to the OP, I hope she finds what she's looking for in the LA area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 06:47 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,413,310 times
As I recall, a big concern for the OP had to do with where a young single woman would feel (and be) safe. I still think the south bay area would be a good place to consider. To be honest, it might even be a little dull for lots of people, despite the great climate. (I mean, how many times can you walk around Del Amo Mall or go to the Pier at Redondo?) But, easy access to the beach is still great.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:20 PM

1,864 posts, read 3,093,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrone2k View Post
As I recall, a big concern for the OP had to do with where a young single woman would feel (and be) safe. I still think the south bay area would be a good place to consider. To be honest, it might even be a little dull for lots of people, despite the great climate. (I mean, how many times can you walk around Del Amo Mall or go to the Pier at Redondo?) But, easy access to the beach is still great.
I suggested the south bay for the social scene in Hermosa and Manhattan. Probably the easiest places in all of L.A. to meet cool people, which is valuable for someone moving here from out of state. There are a lot of people in their 20s and 30s who are single and having fun, which is what OP said she wanted.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:05 AM

29 posts, read 53,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
Aw, Texas ain't so bad! I like it here though I agree LA has a unique culture that can't be duplicated.

To the OP, how many times a week will you need to go to the westside? If it's only once, or at most twice, a week, someone upthread suggested coastal Orange County. Seems like it would be exactly what you're looking for: close to the beach, safe, and upscale with lots of shopping and restaurants. I would suggest somewhere between Seal Beach and Newport Beach. It's Calabasas with cooler weather. Though, unless things have changed dramatically, nightlife has always been more of an LA thing than an OC thing.

I know West Hollywood is on the OP's list but if crime is a concern, isn't the rate pretty high in WeHo? At least for property crime?

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Personally, I've lived in various parts of LA and not been overly concerned about crime and, except for a car break in, have never been victimized. So I don't quite get the fear. But if that is an issue, I'm not sure WeHo is the best choice.
I haven't really researched Orange County that much. I always thought Orange County was more of a sleepy beach area. How far is it from West LA? What the commute and cost of apartment, etc?

Last edited by Yac; 11-21-2012 at 06:26 AM..

Old 10-29-2012, 01:34 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,792,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcnbccbs View Post
Quick summary: Seeking best area for Single Female in early 30's for LA.

Single female, early 30's, active, successful, beautiful, fun, whose lived in Dallas all her of life. Tired of Dallas! Very boring, flat, there's nothing to do but eat, Nobody decent to date, same old life day in and out. Dallas sucks if you're single, great for families. Looking to move to a nice, clean, fun part of LA. I currently live in North Dallas. Seeking a single friendly area of LA, that's safe, I'm terrified of crime, gangs, run down areas, and sketchy people. Here's a list of places that I've researched that seem decent. Safety is #1 on my list, with rent no more than $2,000 a month or do I need to go higher to live a decent area in LA. I don't like areas that if you make a wrong turn down a street you end up in a gang area or you have to worry about wearing the wrong color.

Brentwood
Beverly Hills
West Hollywood
Calabasas
Malibu
Los Feliz
Encino
Woodland Hills
Thousand Oaks
Studio City

Please tell me the real deal on where to live, that's affordable, fun, dining, singles, shopping, but classy, beach nearby, fitness, etc. Also what's the singles scene like for women in their 30's. Thanks!!

Gonna go out on a limb here... from the looks of the username... you work in television...Correct?

Old 10-29-2012, 02:53 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,614,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
How can a city of over half a million within city limits be a "really small city"?

Do you mean that there is nothing else besides 6th Street there to do? Having never been there, I am asking because it seems that, in general, when someone says that a place is really "small", and there is "only so much to do", that says more about where they are in their lives than about the place itself.

People, in my experience, tend to say that about any place that doesn't have an area that approaches (or is) a Disneyland resort area with all its sideshows and in-your-face advertising drawing the crowds, or that doesn't have "nooks and crannies" with interesting things there. I KNOW L.A. has all that and more, and I'm sure that Austin, given its size and population, is like the autocreated proverbial Thomas English Muffin (nooks and crannies included); just that someone hasn't spread the butter hard to hit those nooks and crannies and enjoy those things upon eating.

I hope LA works out for you.
I've been to Austin at least six times in one year, each time staying there a week. Combined that's a months worth of time in Austin. I've been to several places around Austin too; Marble Falls, Georgetown, Roundrock, San Marcos, San Antonio, etc. Been to the lakes so much I don't even want to see one here in LA. Sixth St. Congress, the drag, UT Austin frat parties, done it all.

After a while, and growing out of my college years, I feel it's a place for burn outs. All the people that decide to do something with their lives move on to Houston or Dallas. And I am not trying to judge, to each his own and I am glad Austin is there whenever I need to choose give up the grind and live a relatively affordable laid back boheme life.

For that Austin is amazing, but.......it's still not LA.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:14 PM

810 posts, read 1,339,596 times
I never understood the appeal of Austin....it's Texas trying to be liberal, meaning it's intentionally exaggerated. Texas for the "anti-Texan". Sort of like planted liberalism that just comes across fake. Then you get people from elsewhere, who go there, and try to live up to this liberal-standard they've imposed on themselves and it's not even real. Outside of campus, there's nothing liberal about it. it's only seen that way because it's in Texas. It's not like they can ignore the right-wing preferences of Texas (it might be liberal compared to Texarkana but too many people still hold onto their guns for dear life)...they happen to be in a state that's so far right, anything even slightly liberal is seen as some amazing SF/LA level liberal utopia, when it's not. A visible population of hipsters automatically means liberal in these places. It's just ignorance.

Also, after a certain age, "college" towns don't have much appeal unless you're an alum. Austin is really just an overgrown Madison, Iowa City, Ann Arbor, except in a very red state.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:18 PM

29 posts, read 53,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Gonna go out on a limb here... from the looks of the username... you work in television...Correct?

LOL, yes, kinda sorta, something like that. I'll need to travel to the studios, etc for business that's why I would like to stay in the West part of LA as well. I think the OC might be getting away from that area. But then again I don't know.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:51 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,614,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trancedout View Post
I never understood the appeal of Austin....it's Texas trying to be liberal, meaning it's intentionally exaggerated. Texas for the "anti-Texan". Sort of like planted liberalism that just comes across fake. Then you get people from elsewhere, who go there, and try to live up to this liberal-standard they've imposed on themselves and it's not even real. Outside of campus, there's nothing liberal about it. it's only seen that way because it's in Texas. It's not like they can ignore the right-wing preferences of Texas (it might be liberal compared to Texarkana but too many people still hold onto their guns for dear life)...they happen to be in a state that's so far right, anything even slightly liberal is seen as some amazing SF/LA level liberal utopia, when it's not. A visible population of hipsters automatically means liberal in these places. It's just ignorance.

Also, after a certain age, "college" towns don't have much appeal unless you're an alum. Austin is really just an overgrown Madison, Iowa City, Ann Arbor, except in a very red state.
Being liberal in Texas, even Austin, is like being moderate in CA or right wing in Oregon and Vermont.

Austin is more libertarian than it is liberal, in my opinion. Lots of Ron Paul disciples, the home of conspiracy nut Alex Jones and the founder of Whole Foods John Mackey, a rabid anti-union libertarian nutjob.

A lot of crunchy-cons too; republicans who love eating organic foods and living a hippie life.

The surrounding towns in the Austin limits are just as reactionary as the rest of Texas (except Georgetown).

Old 10-29-2012, 11:04 PM

810 posts, read 1,339,596 times
Sounds like the place where good ol' Texas boys goto become collegiate rebels. Iowa City sort of has a similar perception in Iowa, to a lesser extent. I've gotten the impression having visited Houston & Dallas several times that Austin is seen as the most liberal place on Earth to Texans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles