Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2012, 02:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,572 times

Advertisements

I'm in the military and being stationed at LA Air Force Base in February. Where I live will be 100% based on my girls (age 9 and 11) . They need a place near All Star Cheerleading, good schools, and plenty of friends. I'll have about $2500/month for rent, need a 3-4 bedroom house, and I have 2 dogs that need a yard to run around in.

I hear that Camarillo has the best cheer gym around (California All Stars), so I was hoping to live anywhere between LA Air Force Base and Camarillo. Which areas would you recommend with good schools where I can afford the rent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 03:04 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,545,011 times
Thousand Oaks is closer to Camarillo and very safe. Camarillo itself is also nice, but Thousand Oaks puts you 15 minutes closer to LA. The southbound commute from the 101 to the 405 is going to be a nightmare, however. You could also opt for Westlake Village, Calabassas, Agoura Hills or Woodland Hills which would put you closer to work. Those are great areas too!

Old 10-22-2012, 03:18 PM

672 posts, read 2,175,080 times
What hours will you be working at LAAFB? If your commute puts you at a normal rush hour commute, the drive from out of Camarillo or Thousand Oaks would be a really bad idea. At rush hour, it would usually be over an hour from LAAFB to Thousand Oaks.

I don't know anything about cheer facilities in LA County, but, Torrance and Culver City are usually seen as an acceptbly family friendly cities with acceptable schools with rent that is not crazy.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:29 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,595,322 times
El Segundo.

Forget about Camarillo. Not even remotely close to LAAFB.

TO, as mentioned above, is also nice, but long commute.

LA is very much about where you live - and i don't mean in the sense most people think - the closer to you job the better, your quality of life depends on it.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:29 AM

671 posts, read 1,190,319 times
In LA you live 100% according to your commute to work. DON'T UNDERESTIMATE THIS! If you do a 100% about the girls while can't find a place that provides good commute, you will be ready to jump off a cliff and HATE every day of your life. Please don't make the mistake so many make when choosing a place to live here. It's all about the drive (or train ride)--to work and back. Yeah, you can suck up a bad commute for the girls--UNTIL YOU HATE far sooner than you think (less than a year). It will kill you. Please, you have NO IDEA.

If it really is 100% about the girls, then you are best to stay where you are. I know two people who are DESPERATELY trying to get Metrolink into their lives because they thought they could handle the commute, but are now ready to put an end to their life and greatly regret their choice.

The Green Line runs near the LA Airforce base. Ask if they provide shuttles for the Green Line or if other who work there take Green Line. It could be an additional option to finding a cheer place acceptable to your girls.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:46 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautyhackr View Post
I'm in the military and being stationed at LA Air Force Base in February. Where I live will be 100% based on my girls (age 9 and 11) . They need a place near All Star Cheerleading, good schools, and plenty of friends. I'll have about $2500/month for rent, need a 3-4 bedroom house, and I have 2 dogs that need a yard to run around in.

I hear that Camarillo has the best cheer gym around (California All Stars), so I was hoping to live anywhere between LA Air Force Base and Camarillo. Which areas would you recommend with good schools where I can afford the rent?

I worked a block away from LAAFB for the past two years ending in April. I also have two kids in competitive cheer.

As mentioned above, commuting is a huge concern especially to/from the LAX, LAAFB area. The 405 freeway can be crowded 16 hours a day.

Monitor it for your commute times using

Sigalert.com Irving Traffic Map

If I were you (and I sort of am) You might look at Palos Verdes, Torrance, or any of the beach communities from Redondo Beach to El Segundo. I just don't know about rent budget. Near the beach will be very expensive and very crowded. Identify a "sweet spot" between affordability and good schools/safe neighborhood/acceptable commute. (One thing that would help is to get rid of the dogs.)

Higher performing schools can be found using this tool:

California School Performance Maps

Here's a great tool for getting a broad idea on rent:

https://www.padmapper.com/?lat=33.90...ng=0&maxTime=0

Forget about Camarillo unless you are working 9PM to 5AM or something really odd like that. Even Thousand Oaks will be a brutal drive during normal hours. I vanpooled from Orange County but you're going to be spending two hours minimum in a van every day, low stress and cheap but those are two valuable hours.

I am extremely familiar with commuting patterns to/from LAAFB so if you come up with more candidate communities, post them and the forum can provide feedback.

Also, you might be able to make the Green Line work. If you catch it in Norwalk it is exactly 30 minutes to LAAFB station at Nash. You could live in Fullerton, Yorba Linda, Cypress, and other communities which are maybe 15-20 minutes away from the Norwalk station (the parking lot of which is huge but fills up really early in the morning) but that's still an hour of commuting. It might be a good Plan B if you can't find anything in the South Bay.

Last edited by Charles; 10-24-2012 at 08:57 AM..

Old 07-20-2013, 09:44 PM

16 posts, read 32,622 times
Charles,

For both myself and the OP, can you identify the commute times to LA AFB during normal hours from Marina del Rey, Redondo Beach, and Torrance? I am also military moving to the area soon (have posted for info in another thread as well) and am trying to get as much info as I can. I don't want to hijack the thread, but I do believe this info will be helpful to the OP as well. Thanks!

Old 07-21-2013, 05:39 PM

66 posts, read 142,049 times
Charles,

What schools did your kids go to and were you happy with them. My husband (retired AF) is currently working at NG there in Redondo and we are considering moving the family out if the job seem secure. It won't be till next summer though. I've been trying to narrow down and area to live that is close to work and has good schools. I've been interested in El Segundo but would love any additional input from someone that has been living there in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles