Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 02:01 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
You can't seriously give this poll any credit when LA is so negative viewed, while Phoenix and Atlanta are viewed more favourably. I mean, Phoenix?

At least the poll should be restricted to those who actually lived in LA before. Otherwise, their response is based on largely misinformed second hand information.
Los Angeles is the big city underdog. People seem to hate L.A a lot more than NYC or SF . If you tell someone "I'm from SF or NYC" they'll probably light up. But if you tell them "I'm from L.A" you'll usually get an "Oh" or they'll say something negative or just kind of a lukewarm response if they are polite.

I think because L.A is complicated and hard to 'get'. People by nature aren't comfortable with things they don't understand.

Also most people want the 'easy way'

I was born in L.A so never experienced it as a visitor. But, I could see how it would be frustrating.
The entire city is nowhere near walkable unlike SF and Manhattan.

You can't jump on a subway or streetcar and get to exactly where you want to in like 30 mins or less.

Despite what they might say , people don't really want to discover things on their own . Also many just don't have the time. As americans , we notoriously don't take much vacation time and generally take short trips compared to europeans.

SF and NYC are both cool cities and there are other nice cities in the country but I think i'd like them more if they weren't always bragging about how great their cities are (especially NYC!) .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 10:05 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,568,977 times
LA isn't cheap compared to SF except for housing expenses.

The politicians who've made things worse for 40+ years thanks to their asinine 'no growth' policies and being led around by the 'walkable communities' fanatics and environmental zealots who've made things much worse, and other policies which have led to a below replacement birthrate, in migration which is essentially dead, and a rapidly aging populace which will be disastrous for the state's finances when social welfare costs start to explode.

Chasing super successful companies such as Toyota out of the state for no remotely intelligent reason is downright stupid, and in a state where over 70% of the new cars sold every year are imports the fact that NONE of them are manufactured in this state is equally asinine, and lots of those well paying jobs wind up going elsewhere.

Anti SFR building policies don't help either; the fixation wng is so anti-family it's disgusting, not to mention the stupid fixation with the moderate speed train project between LA & SF, and Sacramento's abject belief that Silicon Valley workers will commute to FRESNO via this HSR boondoggle in search of affordable housing as a preposterous front page LA Times story insisted recently makes no sense whatsoever.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:23 AM

It doesn't make any sense to advocate for walkable communities, but then to be anti growth.
That seems to be a big contradiction.

It would be nice if there were more cars made in CA ,that's true. I can only think of Tesla.

If you click on the links on this page below it's pretty sad...as it says "was a auto manufacturing plant in CA"

Category:Motor vehicle assembly plants in California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is interesting about the Tesla plant
"The Tesla Factory is an automobile manufacturing plant in Fremont, California, US, and the principal production facility of Tesla Motors. The facility was formerly known as New United Motor Manufacturing, Inc. (NUMMI), a joint venture between General Motors and Toyota.[1]"

Of course Tesla isn't a foreign car company...although the founder /CEO was born in South Africa.

Very smart guy and I like that's he seems like a regular guy versus so many of the phoney CEOs out there.

Old 04-29-2015, 05:02 PM

317 posts, read 403,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
It doesn't make any sense to advocate for walkable communities, but then to be anti growth.
That seems to be a big contradiction.

It would be nice if there were more cars made in CA ,that's true. I can only think of Tesla.

If you click on the links on this page below it's pretty sad...as it says "was a auto manufacturing plant in CA"

Category:Motor vehicle assembly plants in California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is interesting about the Tesla plant
"The Tesla Factory is an automobile manufacturing plant in Fremont, California, US, and the principal production facility of Tesla Motors. The facility was formerly known as New United Motor Manufacturing, Inc. (NUMMI), a joint venture between General Motors and Toyota.[1]"

Of course Tesla isn't a foreign car company...although the founder /CEO was born in South Africa.

Very smart guy and I like that's he seems like a regular guy versus so many of the phoney CEOs out there.
As much as I dont really care for electric cars too much, I applaud Tesla for finally having an innovative car company from the USA. The big 3 are just long in the tooth if you ask me. Nothing really innovative compared to the germans. I also applaud him for saying a big F you to dealerships and fighting to be able to sell his cars in his own dealerships.

Anyway on topic. Im going to LA on vacation in 4 days and alot of the times I tell people I'm going to LA they say "why LA?" or something along those lines. Some even have this slight disgust look. Whatever, I dont get it. All I know is I'll be loving it down there.

Old 04-29-2015, 06:24 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,836,776 times
seems to me a totally stupid question. my impression here in Chicago (from mine and their perceptions) is people think LA is a great city and a great place to visit. people who look down on LA are idiots.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_marts View Post
As much as I dont really care for electric cars too much, I applaud Tesla for finally having an innovative car company from the USA. The big 3 are just long in the tooth if you ask me. Nothing really innovative compared to the germans. I also applaud him for saying a big F you to dealerships and fighting to be able to sell his cars in his own dealerships.

Anyway on topic. Im going to LA on vacation in 4 days and alot of the times I tell people I'm going to LA they say "why LA?" or something along those lines. Some even have this slight disgust look. Whatever, I dont get it. All I know is I'll be loving it down there.
Yeah I agree about Tesla. It's kind of cool too that he started as the underdog and i'm sure tons of people thought he was crazy and was going to fail , but the company has been a great success.

Yeah that's crazy. Let me guess...all those people have either never been to L.A or they maybe went briefly once? I'd like to know.

I think that's kind of the cool thing about L.A though..it's not a city that everyone really brags about loving like , New York, San Francisco, Paris . and some others.

Even if someone hasn't been to those places , it seems like their eyes light up. "Wow you're going to New york!!! How cool" .

On the other hand... we don't really need more people in this city right? But we could use their money!

If someone tells you L.A has no culture and is just strip malls or some nonsense.

You should show them this and ask if they knew L.A had those types of musuems and other cultural institutions and if they have been to any of them. You should also ask if their hometown has just as many things to do.

Culture | Discover Los Angeles

Old 04-29-2015, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
seems to me a totally stupid question. my impression here in Chicago (from mine and their perceptions) is people think LA is a great city and a great place to visit. people who look down on LA are idiots.
That's cool that Chicago people don't hate L.A . Tell them to come vist , and bring lot's of $$$!

Old 04-29-2015, 07:19 PM

You should tell them you're going for the 3 W's . Women, weed and weather.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:24 AM

496 posts, read 574,580 times
Quote:
You should tell them you're going for the 3 W's . Women, weed and weather.
Lololol

Old 04-30-2015, 04:56 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,836,776 times
Quote:
That's cool that Chicago people don't hate L.A . Tell them to come vist , and bring lot's of $$$!
they already do. and you also have all those rabid Big Ten fans who salivate about their school making that trip to Pasadena….with them along for the ride (mouse ears required).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles