Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2012, 12:20 AM

1,566 posts, read 2,441,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
She would not have those good tortas and burritos otherwise.

Besides that, old white folks are always complaining that it was never as good as before. Watch, we are all gonna go the same route.
My grandma is Hispanic, not white. The reason LA sucks is because too many people live there now due to immigration, particularly illegal immigration. People are so quick to turn everything into a race issue these days. Too many people also includes all the white folks from the eastern block that live in LA too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 07:12 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,354,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
My grandma is Hispanic, not white. The reason LA sucks is because too many people live there now due to immigration, particularly illegal immigration. People are so quick to turn everything into a race issue these days. Too many people also includes all the white folks from the eastern block that live in LA too.
Legal immigration of ethnic groups is bad, illegal immigration is worse.

Interesting outlookkk.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:52 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,983,014 times
Too many BMW drivers that don't use their blinkers.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:36 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,627,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
The suburban lifestyle is too strongly embedded into the Californian lifestyle. And DTLA will never become what DT NYC is. Which agian is a good thing!
I hardly consider LA suburban. In fact most people in LA hate the OC lifestyle. I think I know what you're getting at though, the residential homey feel and yeah some people in some parts (Culver City, Manhattan Beach and the like) but there's parts of LA that are so not suburban, (venice, hollywood, silverlake and that whole area and etc.,).

Old 10-30-2012, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trancedout View Post
Totally agree about the FlyAway...it is convienient and more cities should do something similar...even those cities with "amazing public transit".

Back to topic...

An interesting way of looking at this...if Hurricane Sandy was to hit LA (or if whatever version of Hurricane that can theoretically hit LA actually did), people would start topics making jokes about it. A large percentage of posters here on CD would in fact probably be happy.

The unrestrained hate for LA from status-quo society can really be that bad. They know it's a "cooler" place than where they are from, and generally can't stand this. It really takes a certain kind of person to understand and appreciate LA, and I think that's a big part of what makes LA what it is. Sort of like telling everywhere else off without having to actually do it.
Agreed. I also think people overstate the traffic. Like most places, I find that if you stay off during crazy times then you're fine. I rarely experience more than a 20 minute drive to the airport or to anywhere because I don't go during really high traffic times or I know to go against traffic. But I guess I could be extremely fortunate because I've never HAD to do things during high traffic times.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafferty Daniel View Post
Too many BMW drivers that don't use their blinkers.
Totally agree with this!

Old 10-31-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
And this is why the world is such a cold place. This type of mentality is sickening and evil at the core.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:00 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,380,869 times
I believe that I'm a bit more familiar with LA then the average tourist. I've never lived in LA, but my earliest family member arrived there in 1911. While my parents moved away in 1979, I still have family in the area and a job that takes me there fairly often. Early memories include waking up at Grandma's house and being able to see the Disney Castle from the bedroom just beyond the avocado tree, and my dad taking me down to the marina in Long Beach where one of his high school friends always had "just a bit more work to do," before he could get his 50 foot sailboat back into the water.

From my perspective, LA seems like it is looked down upon because it's portrayed as one huge suburb filled with multimillion dollar homes, out of control Movie Stars on every corner, drug dealers and gangs on every other street with bullets flying. It's hard to tell where LA starts and ends. To most of you, LA is a specific city and you can tell Anaheim from Inglewood from Encino from Burbank, from Watts, from LA all in a glance. Most tourists think that Hollywood, The Queen Mary, Santa Monica Pier, Disney, Universal Studios, Seaworld and Knott's Berry Farm are all in LA and you can walk from one to the next, and San Diego Zoo is a short cab ride at most. To them, LA is pretty much the entire bottom 1/4 of the State, that Anaheim and Hollywood are neighborhoods not cities in their own right. You know the politics of the city and the local news. Visitors only know what shows up in the gossip rags and what Hollywood portray in movies and on TV.

It's the unwilling icon for everything that is bad about the US. NYC is about the greed of America, which is somehow acceptable because Capitalism is 'A-OK!" LA is the social problems, the pollution, prostitutes, murder, illegal immigrants, strip clubs, over priced food and drinks, and family friendly entertainment commercialized for every buck possible.

This is why Los Angeles is looked down upon, most people simply don't know better. They can only go on what they've been told.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:32 AM

10,399 posts, read 15,483,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
The suburban lifestyle is too strongly embedded into the Californian lifestyle. And DTLA will never become what DT NYC is. Which agian is a good thing!
If LA has the same city proper population as NYC it will be pretty much like downtown NYC , just imagine if you will LA at 8.5 Million people and see what I mean.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:48 AM

2,720 posts, read 5,599,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
I believe that I'm a bit more familiar with LA then the average tourist. I've never lived in LA, but my earliest family member arrived there in 1911. While my parents moved away in 1979, I still have family in the area and a job that takes me there fairly often. Early memories include waking up at Grandma's house and being able to see the Disney Castle from the bedroom just beyond the avocado tree, and my dad taking me down to the marina in Long Beach where one of his high school friends always had "just a bit more work to do," before he could get his 50 foot sailboat back into the water.

From my perspective, LA seems like it is looked down upon because it's portrayed as one huge suburb filled with multimillion dollar homes, out of control Movie Stars on every corner, drug dealers and gangs on every other street with bullets flying. It's hard to tell where LA starts and ends. To most of you, LA is a specific city and you can tell Anaheim from Inglewood from Encino from Burbank, from Watts, from LA all in a glance. Most tourists think that Hollywood, The Queen Mary, Santa Monica Pier, Disney, Universal Studios, Seaworld and Knott's Berry Farm are all in LA and you can walk from one to the next, and San Diego Zoo is a short cab ride at most. To them, LA is pretty much the entire bottom 1/4 of the State, that Anaheim and Hollywood are neighborhoods not cities in their own right. You know the politics of the city and the local news. Visitors only know what shows up in the gossip rags and what Hollywood portray in movies and on TV.

It's the unwilling icon for everything that is bad about the US. NYC is about the greed of America, which is somehow acceptable because Capitalism is 'A-OK!" LA is the social problems, the pollution, prostitutes, murder, illegal immigrants, strip clubs, over priced food and drinks, and family friendly entertainment commercialized for every buck possible.

This is why Los Angeles is looked down upon, most people simply don't know better. They can only go on what they've been told.

LA needs a good PR campaign. Instead we get a lot of northeastern transplant writers from NYC or Boston come live here and write about how much they hate LA. They're just here for the movie industry and wish LA could be more like NYC.

Los Angeles is a rich city that is extremely noir in certain areas (more so than NYC) and suburban All american happy land. It's a huge metropolis and a family oriented suburb all rolled into one.

NYC has a huge propaganda campaign behind it pumping you full of NYC is the best promotional material. I mean my god how many times are we going to have watch a movie about directors getting off to NYC? They worship NYC. Yet, to me it's a great city for anyone who wants to be a pompous competitive jerk.

LA is the epitome of cool. It really doesn't care who knows it's America's best city. It doesn't brag about itself and knows that it's image is skewed but would rather relax than fight it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles