Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2012, 12:52 PM

3 posts, read 7,197 times

Advertisements

I need help looking for good places to live in LA. I have lived in midwest for most of my life, the people and places here are all very nice and friendly but I feel like I need a change. And so I'm thinking of moving to LA when I graduate this year. The people I met here, that came from California, all love it there so I want to see for myself what they mean. I'm also excited for the weather

A little about myself: I'm a 26 year old single female. I would like to live in an area that's mostly importantly safe, affordable, friendly, fun, lots of things to do/places to eat, and good for young professionals. I'm planning to rent ($1000-$2000) and I'll have a car with me.

Some of the areas I'm considering are:
Pasadena
San Fernando Valley
San Gabriel Valley
LA Metro
LA North
LA South

These areas are all over the place because they are based on job availabilities that my company is offering me. I have no idea how to narrow the options so it would be great if someone could help me out. Also what does LA Metro, LA North, and LA south actually mean?

I heard that people from California are very superficial and fake, as compared to the midwest, is that true?

Thanks much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 09:22 PM

12 posts, read 23,661 times
I have also lived in the midwest (Wisconsin) and am planning to relocate to the LA early next year from Houston. I am pretty familiar with the LA area though because of frequent visits since the brief time I lived there. The one thing I would recommend is that you visit before you make the move if you haven't. Some people expect LA to be completely different than the glamorized version they have seen on tv. It is beautiful and grungy all at the same time. Where in the midwest are you from? If you are from a large city like Chicago it won't be as much of a culture shock, but if you are from a small town it could be a difficult change and a bit overwhelming. When I lived in the midwest it was in a small town where people rarely left the state. They were generally nice people and friendly, but it was a different lifestyle. LA people are very different and the pace of life is much faster. There are always things to do and going on. LA people are also very much into themselves. Not in a bad way, but in a every man for himself type way. Kind of like a rat race, where everyone is trying to get ahead. Also, you say your friends are from California and they love it. Are they from LA? California is huge and Norcal and Socal are very different. I'm sure you've done enough homework to know that LA is very expensive so hopefully you will have some money saved up. If your looking to spend up to $2k on rent for a 1 bedroom, you will be fine. As far as where to live, it really does depend on where you work. Are you graduating with a Bachelor's or Master's? I'm just trying to understand how your job is transferring you to the LA area and you are making enough money to afford $2k on rent if you haven't received a BA or BS yet? If this is true then you are way ahead of everyone else moving to LA unemployed, great job. The areas you listed are really all over LA, you might as well just said the LA area lol. I would personally choose the LA metro area and find a place in koreatown/hollywood to be near all the "fun" that you are asking for. Just keep in mind that these area's have good and bad parts. Is LA superficial? Yes. Fake? No. People in LA do generally do care about their appearance, especially with it being the entertainment capital. It also depends on what part of town you are in. West LA will generally have more people into how they look and flaunting their car/accessories. I don't think LA is fake though, there are many hard working people in the area who just live paycheck to paycheck. The only people I could see that may seem "fake" are the transplants who try to live the LA "lifestyle" and live above their means or try to show off everything they have.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:40 PM

Hi. Thanks for responding newtothegame.
I've lived in Cleveland, OH and Chicago, IL. I really like Chicago but the job market is too saturated. I like the busy city life and always having stuff to do/see. I will be graduating from grad school and planning to work in the pharmaceutical industry. I haven't been given a job yet..the campus recruiter is just asking me where I would be interested, given the availability. It would be great if I could visit the areas before making a decision but I'm supposed to give them a specific area then they will interview me based on that.
I don't intend, or at least hope not, to spend $2000 for a 1 bedroom but I want to keep my options open. I just want to be in a safe neighborhood but also be in an area that has stuff to do. I will look more into koreatown. What have you heard about the other areas? What do you think of Pasadena? This was one of the areas a friend said I should consider. Thanks!

Old 10-25-2012, 12:59 AM

12 posts, read 23,661 times
You say the job market is too saturated in Chicago, but the job market in LA is one of the worst. Again, if you have a job before moving there then you will have a big advantage. Pasadena is very family oriented. There are younger professionals near Old Town, where most of the nightlife in Pasadena happens. It's a generally safe area, but it all depends on what you're looking to get out of LA. If you want to be in the middle of all the action then look at something near downtown LA or west of it. Pasadena has a small town feel which you may or may not be looking for since you are coming from the mid-west. It's hard to say what type of area would be best for you without knowing what you are looking for. Some of my friends moved to LA from out of state and live in Santa Monica/Weho. These areas are more expensive, but you are near all of the nightclubs and get about as close to the "LA lifestyle" that most transplants are looking for. Again, it depends on what your main priorities are and why you want to live in LA. First I would recommend getting the job!

Old 10-25-2012, 11:22 AM

Yes, I would definitely not move there if I don't have a job set out there yet. Right now my recruiter wants me to give her a place that I want to work so that she can interview me based on that area.

I'm not much of a party-er so nightclubs aren't that important. I would like to live in an area that offers things to do that may not involve drinking alcohol, like shows/concerts/festivals, museums, different kinds of restaurants/dining, farmer's market, outdoor activities, etc.

I heard that LA has a LOT of traffic, if I were to live in LA metro area, will traffic be too congested? How reliable is the public transportation? Thanks!

Old 10-25-2012, 01:03 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,623,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brio56 View Post
Yes, I would definitely not move there if I don't have a job set out there yet. Right now my recruiter wants me to give her a place that I want to work so that she can interview me based on that area.

I'm not much of a party-er so nightclubs aren't that important. I would like to live in an area that offers things to do that may not involve drinking alcohol, like shows/concerts/festivals, museums, different kinds of restaurants/dining, farmer's market, outdoor activities, etc.

I heard that LA has a LOT of traffic, if I were to live in LA metro area, will traffic be too congested? How reliable is the public transportation? Thanks!
If you've got a strict 9 to 5 job and don't have other commitments requiring side-trips after work or during lunch, you can take the rail/subway lines provided your office is close by. However our rail/subway system is quite limited and doesn't service popular areas like the entire swath of the Westside, nor central locales like La Brea/Fairfax or Eaglerock. Nearly everyone who's planning to stay here for the long term has a car even if they commute by rail to their jobs.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:19 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,170,652 times
I would recommend Pasadena. It's a pretty great area for younger couples and singles. There are a lot of shops, restaurants, and things to do/see. The LA metro gold line also runs through Pasadena. It takes a while to get into Downtown on the metro, but it's nicer than sitting in traffic. Pasadena is still close enough to LA if you want to catch a concert or go to a museum. It's also close to the Angeles National Forest if you like hiking and outdoor activities.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:52 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,152,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brio56 View Post

The public transportation is most reliable in DT and KT. That's also where they have the most. I think you should also check those places out. Studio City is another good one, but the prices are quite steep. They mostly have Farmer's Markets in Hollywood, Santa Monica, and DT a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles