Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 12:03 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,011,181 times

Advertisements

Why would you WANT a crappy job anyways?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 04:04 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,835,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Can't get a good job, but still have to work.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:46 AM

26,712 posts, read 26,770,596 times
What about a job like this? She works at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery as a tour guide.
PERSPECTIVE: Cemetery tour guide loves her dead-end job - latimes.com

Old 11-29-2012, 08:35 AM

5,975 posts, read 13,111,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post
why is it that the entry-level service jobs, customer-service jobs, in retail, fast-food, restaurant-type jobs, jobs that pay minimum-wage, why do they have the highest, most intense amount of competition in order to get hired?
Because there are a lot of people that little to no skills. Therefore you are going to have the whole range of unskilled people applying for those jobs. The higher qualified positions generally require specific skills/education/experience that few people have.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:39 AM

5,975 posts, read 13,111,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Few can afford to go to college anymore. So most have to scrap over what pays the bills now.
Not really. There are ways to get it paid for. If you're poor/low income there are opportunities for financial aid, there are loans, there are the local community colleges.

Theres probably more people who dropped out of college applying for those crappy jobs, then those who couldn't find any way to pay for it. Or maybe they just need something NOW, because they have school loans to pay back.

Many people applying for crappy jobs are looking for something temporary immediately, while they continue their search for something in their field.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:55 AM

98 posts, read 341,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
These days there really are no crappy jobs... any job is respectable in my book. would i do some of the jobs no but it what it is.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:00 AM

98 posts, read 341,423 times
I would advise people to get a skill thats in demand like say truck driving (cdl A license) that has job growth and pays a liveable wage or at least make sure they major in a field that is growing with a liveable yearly income before just up and go to college and take out all those loans. If i had a dollar for every history major ive met bartending in fridays or bar backing i could retire early. Guys and gals with masters underemployed everywhere here in LA.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:40 AM

2,720 posts, read 5,623,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headed2northdakota View Post
These days there really are no crappy jobs... any job is respectable in my book. would i do some of the jobs no but it what it is.
This is true. I never meant to deman workers as all jobs require skill and workers are the really compontent that brings value in society.

What makes the jobs less dignified is not their actual requirements but the low wage. As a ratio of worker to owner pay rises, so do the social relations shift between people outside of the workplace. What happens in the workforce also affects relations between people outside the workplace. I just don't know know why this concept is seperated from the real world in America? It's like people want to believe that what someone earns doesn't effect them socially? Since we're all equal under the law that anyone can rise to anyone, so then we're a "class less" society? But why accept democracy in the law/politics but not in economics/business which for the most part is still a rigid institution with a strict hierarchy?

There goes the rant again. Basically what I am trying to say is that with the loss of union power and the crushing of the labor movement in this country, workers lost a lot of dignity and have made the class relations in this country seem more apparent.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:42 AM

2,720 posts, read 5,623,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headed2northdakota View Post
I would advise people to get a skill thats in demand like say truck driving (cdl A license) that has job growth and pays a liveable wage or at least make sure they major in a field that is growing with a liveable yearly income before just up and go to college and take out all those loans. If i had a dollar for every history major ive met bartending in fridays or bar backing i could retire early. Guys and gals with masters underemployed everywhere here in LA.
This is so true. A lot of my friends are giving up looking for clerical office or entry level stuff in the corporate world with their liberal arts degrees and instead are looking for high paying manual jobs; truck driving, welding, drafting, construction foreman, etc.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:58 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,296,453 times
Heres some advice about the L.A job market. Its not about what you know, its about who you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles