Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 12:38 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,626,604 times

Advertisements

I found it kind of odd that getting a low paying job was so hard in LA, especially if you have a BA.

My brother is here right now trying to get a low paying part time job because he needs to go back to school. His plan is to live off the part time job and some financial aid loans until he is done with his masters in public administration. The problem is that he is having too hard of a time finding a low paying $8-10 an hour job in the NoHo/Burbank area.

Is it because he is overqualified? He has a BA in Economics from Rice University, so how the heck did he not get the job at the local paint store he applied for?

Where should he look? If he doesn't find a job out here soon I am going to ship his butt back to Houston.

He's had some success with some high paying office jobs but they're all on the Westside and he doesn't have a car, so he is stuck riding a bike around the Valley or taking the bus.

1.) Should he take the BA off his resume?

2.) Where would be the place to look for part time low wage jobs?

3.) Does he have a chance when most of his experience has been in legal office work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 12:45 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
1. Yes. It's a low-wage crappy job at a paint store, not a stepping stone in life. LIE LIKE A MOFO.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:55 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Hilight things that make him important to the $8 to $10 dollar employers. I doubt that they care about the degree.

My thoughts would be:

1. Availability. Paint stores are more often open during the day time hours, same as when schools are having classes. That is unless he is going to school at night or online. What other places or kinds of places has he applied to? If his plan is to go to school will his schedule allow him to work when they need him?

2. Experience. Sadly plenty of people are looking for a job and many have lots of experience in the paint field. Does he have experience in working at a paint store? I know that might not seem like much, but would he have the knowledge to plus sell items that the consumer would need when they walk in looking for a nice wood stain.

3. Attitude. That seems to go a long way in getting hired as well. The last three people we hired had the right attitude. Every field is differant but you know what you are looking for when you are hiring someone. I am not talking about those that are rude or anything, just how someone comes off. Can they get the job done in a profesional manner.

4. Why hire me? Can he answer that question? I understand that it can look like a small little do nothing job, but to the hiring manager or owner this is his life. The world to them may just revolve around that little paint store.

I get that the paint store may be just an example and all. Still, I think that the questions need to be asked. If I were hiring him I would want to know these things.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
1. Yes. It's a low-wage crappy job at a paint store, not a stepping stone in life. LIE LIKE A MOFO.
So you think that the reason he is having such a hard time is because he is over qualified?

I was wondering because it seemed to be easier for him to get call backs from the jobs that wanted him to work full time office work for relatively higher pay. But the low wage ones which will give him more flexibility seem to not call.

I was thinking maybe telemarketing at some rickety business might be a good bet. They offered him a job right away that day. They liked his professional sounding voice and considered him intelligent enough to handle it but my brother was worrying about the shelf life of such a job. Would they fire him if he excels one week but sucks the next? The job is super flexible, pays great and would work with his school schedule.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Hilight things that make him important to the $8 to $10 dollar employers. I doubt that they care about the degree.

My thoughts would be:

1. Availability. Paint stores are more often open during the day time hours, same as when schools are having classes. That is unless he is going to school at night or online. What other places or kinds of places has he applied to? If his plan is to go to school will his schedule allow him to work when they need him?

2. Experience. Sadly plenty of people are looking for a job and many have lots of experience in the paint field. Does he have experience in working at a paint store? I know that might not seem like much, but would he have the knowledge to plus sell items that the consumer would need when they walk in looking for a nice wood stain.

3. Attitude. That seems to go a long way in getting hired as well. The last three people we hired had the right attitude. Every field is differant but you know what you are looking for when you are hiring someone. I am not talking about those that are rude or anything, just how someone comes off. Can they get the job done in a profesional manner.

4. Why hire me? Can he answer that question? I understand that it can look like a small little do nothing job, but to the hiring manager or owner this is his life. The world to them may just revolve around that little paint store.

I get that the paint store may be just an example and all. Still, I think that the questions need to be asked. If I were hiring him I would want to know these things.

He comes dressed to the nines at every interview. He lets the employer know that he will be taking night courses and he lets them know that he has all the intention to be professional on the job.

He's never had to interview so many times, usually when they call him for an interview he gets the job. I am surprised that he's interviewed three times already and all three rejected him. Not only that, he cannot even get a call back from the rest of the five jobs he's applied for.

I mean we're talking small office receptionist jobs, a gluten free market, a video store, and even Goodwill Donation Center!

I mean I can handle him staying as long as he needs, but he's gotta bring something to the table.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:08 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,599,484 times
Sounds like to me, that your brother may be under-qualified for a job at a paint store, unless it was an admin type role, using his degree. Maybe they hired someone with a background in paint?

Seriously though, his best chance is finding a job where he can relate past experience to the role. If legal is his best bet - look there. Maybe starbucks?

Old 10-29-2012, 01:44 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
since you're over in the east valley, has your brother put in an application at universal studios? i worked at a theme park in college and they offer decent pay and great flexibility for students.

Old 10-29-2012, 02:24 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,170,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
So you think that the reason he is having such a hard time is because he is over qualified?

I was wondering because it seemed to be easier for him to get call backs from the jobs that wanted him to work full time office work for relatively higher pay. But the low wage ones which will give him more flexibility seem to not call.

I was thinking maybe telemarketing at some rickety business might be a good bet. They offered him a job right away that day. They liked his professional sounding voice and considered him intelligent enough to handle it but my brother was worrying about the shelf life of such a job. Would they fire him if he excels one week but sucks the next? The job is super flexible, pays great and would work with his school schedule.
I think the BA probably makes him overqualified. Could be some of the people making those hiring decisions do not have BAs and might see him as a threat. Could also be they think he'll leave at a drop of the hat once a better full-time opportunity comes along.

I used to do customer service at a call center back in college. Paid between $10-12 an hour and there were several people with Bachelors degrees working there. That might be something worth looking into.

Old 10-29-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
I used to do customer service at a call center back in college. Paid between $10-12 an hour and there were several people with Bachelors degrees working there. That might be something worth looking into.
Call center where? Are these jobs relatively easy to find and get hired at?

Is it telemarketing? At this point I wouldn't even mind he did that as long as it brought in something.

How long did you stay there? The point is to have some sort of longevity.

Old 10-29-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
since you're over in the east valley, has your brother put in an application at universal studios? i worked at a theme park in college and they offer decent pay and great flexibility for students.

Universal Studios, eh? That sounds like it would be up his alley. Are they usually always hiring? I hope they didn't fill up all their seasonal work or hope that most positions are just seasonal.

I will tell him to try that out. Good choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles