U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 04:20 PM

15 posts, read 66,494 times

Advertisements

The other day I was headed west on Santa Monica and needed to turn left at La Brea. As people in LA know, you often end up having to make lefts on red because of traffic. I've been driving here for 3 years and have never had a problem at all. Well, the guy in front of me was kind of passive and not pulled up as far as he should've been. I was right behind him, and he finally began turning as the yellow turned to red. Obviously I'm too far in the intersection to back up at that point, so i have to follow him through the light. Of course, a dimwit going straight decides to run the red light and we both have to brake. As I'm finally getting to turn, still right behind the guy, I swear I saw a flash (seeming to come from the light on our side) go off. It very well could have been my imagination, as it was a bright, sunny day.... but I'm really worried now.

I started searching online later and read something that said if you were in the intersection when the light turned red, you're fine. However, i don't know if I was ALL the way out, just that I was too far to back up and wait for the next light. I was comforted reading that LA unambigiously ended their red light ticket program in March... and then I realized that's for the city of LA and I was in West Hollywood! D: So confused! Please help! I can't have anything going on my driving record/insurance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 04:56 PM

3,475 posts, read 9,455,873 times
A few things.

Often, traffic control cameras flash/image capture at a tolerance within the law, often capturing vehicles in a 'gray area'. These 'gray area' photos are reviewed, and discarded, or cited, depending on the evidence. Just because you see a flash, doens't mean you'll see a ticket in the mail.

You'll really need to recall where exactly your vehicle was, when the light turned from Y to R, at the most simple red light law in CA says:
21453. (a) A driver facing a steady circular red signal alone shall stop at a marked limit line, but if none, before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection or, if none, then before entering the intersection, and shall remain stopped until an indication to proceed is shown, except as provided in subdivision (b).

Old 10-29-2012, 05:08 PM

Thanks for your help! I'm straining trying to remember if I was past the crosswalk at Y-R. My front tires had to have over the crosswalk because I was only the second in a line of cars waiting to turn left. However the guy in front of me seemed to be an incredibly passive driver or someone who hasn't driven in LA much

One thing I remember: I was far into the intersection when the camera flashed. Hopefully that's good! :/

Last edited by trojangrlof12; 10-29-2012 at 05:15 PM.. Reason: details

Old 10-29-2012, 08:18 PM

Moderator cut: link removed

From the video: "The red light camera system is not used to photograph vehicles turning right or turning left"

It was put on youtube in August 2012!! And the intersection is squarely in WeHo and listed on this same red light camera page. Someone correct me if they know this to be inaccurate. Ahh, too bad I didn't see this 6 hours earlier. I've been obsessively searching this since then. So relieved.

Last edited by Count David; 11-05-2012 at 07:49 AM.. Reason: new members are not allowed to post links

Old 10-29-2012, 08:56 PM

810 posts, read 1,232,033 times
The threshold for them to cite you is intentionally set abysmally low.

You could have been in a position where you had to make the turn or block traffic. This happens when someone has a green light (not green arrow) and it turns red, but the person is already in a position to turn while waiting. They don't care.

A green arrow could be yellow, if you lose the yellow even a split-second before completing the turn...they can cite you. It's just how it is.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:25 PM

3,475 posts, read 9,455,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trancedout View Post
The threshold for them to cite you is intentionally set abysmally low.

You could have been in a position where you had to make the turn or block traffic. This happens when someone has a green light (not green arrow) and it turns red, but the person is already in a position to turn while waiting. They don't care.

A green arrow could be yellow, if you lose the yellow even a split-second before completing the turn...they can cite you. It's just how it is.
Can you elaborate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10-30-2012, 12:27 AM

810 posts, read 1,232,033 times
I know a lot about traffic tickets in general. Maybe too much for a civilian. Long story and I'd rather not discuss the particulars, but there is a new laser-based device out there (not even new - but it's billed as new) that is used in some states to write tickets as you enter a lower speed zone from a higher speed zone. They aim the device into the higher speed zone while they wait in the lower speed zone, and write you for speeding in the lower speed zone when you were going the speed limit in the higher speed zone. At least one state does this a lot.

The automated tickets in so many states, have actually made people forget about conventional speeding tickets in my opinion.

Basically, any time a friend of mine gets a ticket, they text me and ask what to do. I have reviewed at least 5 "red-light" tickets from 3 states. They were all sort of an "either/or" situation. None were clear red-light runs. Always yellow light, including one turn where the light was green but turned yellow.

In CA, you have the option (at least for officer-issued tickets) to send in the fine amount and fight it via the mail. If the midwest allowed this, it would simply be seen as a free pass for speeders, simply because it levels the playing field. The prosecutor knows the law better than you unless you're an attorney yourself.

The judge, cop, and prosecutor all seem to work together in traffic court. If you lose the trial by written declaration, you are given a trial de novo in CA.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:54 PM

10,778 posts, read 14,947,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trojangrlof12 View Post
The other day I was headed west on Santa Monica and needed to turn left at La Brea. As people in LA know, you often end up having to make lefts on red because of traffic. I've been driving here for 3 years and have never had a problem at all. Well, the guy in front of me was kind of passive and not pulled up as far as he should've been. I was right behind him, and he finally began turning as the yellow turned to red. Obviously I'm too far in the intersection to back up at that point, so i have to follow him through the light. Of course, a dimwit going straight decides to run the red light and we both have to brake. As I'm finally getting to turn, still right behind the guy, I swear I saw a flash (seeming to come from the light on our side) go off. It very well could have been my imagination, as it was a bright, sunny day.... but I'm really worried now.

I started searching online later and read something that said if you were in the intersection when the light turned red, you're fine. However, i don't know if I was ALL the way out, just that I was too far to back up and wait for the next light. I was comforted reading that LA unambigiously ended their red light ticket program in March... and then I realized that's for the city of LA and I was in West Hollywood! D: So confused! Please help! I can't have anything going on my driving record/insurance.
I had a friend who ended up slamming on his brakes doing a left turn because a group of people ran into the intersection at the last second to catch a bus, and he got flashed. When the ticket came, it showed all the pictures from different angles as well as of him, and you could clearly see the people in the crosswalk. He chose trial by declaration and the ticket was thrown out because for him to have gone through the light, he would have had to run over the pedestrians who actually broke the law.

The cameras record a video that the goon who works for the company in Arizona reviews and determines whether or not they have a case to fine you. You do have the right to review the video. I'm going to tell you right now, they're probably going to tell you that it doesn't matter how slow the driver in front of you was going: you shouldn't have placed your car in such a way that you either obstructed traffic or ran a red light.

Now, all this said, this is why I never let myself be the guy that squeaks through to make a left as the light turns red:

1) there may be a camera at the intersection. I try to look for the "PHOTO ENFORCED" signs that they're supposed to put before intersections, but it's easy to forget. Also, some cities don't put them up, or put them behind a tree or pole (this is the case with the one at Wilshire and Beverly Drive, where I got a ticket going northbound); this is illegal and you can get your ticket thrown out, but they do it banking on most people just paying regardless.
2) I ride a bicycle and there have been times where I've been going down a hill, had the light, and nearly gotten creamed by one of these cretins who totally misjudged my speed and just reeeeeeeally needed to make that light to save an extra minute and a half.
3) I've seen cops light people up for it; not often, but I have seen it happen.
4) Just like how people blow through the red light at the last second, people also have a tendency to floor it the second that the light turns green here in LA. Early jumping off the line + late flying through a light = smash!!

It boils down to one of those situations where you have to ask yourself what's more frustrating: $500+ dollars; dealing with the cops; dealing with insurance; or 2-3 minutes.

Last edited by 415_s2k; 10-30-2012 at 06:11 PM..

Old 10-30-2012, 07:38 PM

36 posts, read 104,782 times
I love technology. noPhoto Shoots a Flash Back at Traffic Cameras to Shield License Plate and Prevent Tickets | Video | TheBlaze.com

Old 11-08-2013, 09:57 PM

1 posts, read 9,407 times
Hey Trojangrlof12 I just want to know what happened with your ticket. I just got flashed heading eastbound on Santa Monica/La Brea because some idiot was driving through the intersection and started slowing down out of nowhere leaving me going through a red! However I definitely didn't enter the intersection on red - that's for sure.

Anyway I've been trying to see if this camera is still considered Los Angeles as some data is conflicting. I just want to know where I'm at while I wait and anticipate a dreaded $446 ticket that I can't afford as I just got laid off from my job yesterday.

This article shows the camera and says the program has finished. Is this true? http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/L...as-2353004.php

Any help much appreciated!!! Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles