Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2012, 09:04 PM

1 posts, read 5,024 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I'm giving this a shot because I am absolutely desperate for some advice.

I just moved to LA from Virginia and am currently debating between an apartment in West Hollywood and Studio City. Both seem to be about the same distance to my job at Children's Hospital (on Sunset, near Los Feliz/Silverlake area).

I'm a 24 y.o. female, single, educated, good job. Really enjoy nightlife and walkability to restaurants, coffee shops, grocery stores, etc. I came from a relatively urban East coast city, so I'm used to having easy access to those sorts of things.

I originally thought WeHo seemed like the place for me (generally safe, walkability, nightlife, fun, lots of young folks), so I concentrated on that. But then people at work seemed to try to steer me in a different direction, saying WeHo is too busy, lots of uppity people, too crazy & loud at night.

So, per their advice, I started looking into Studio City and found a place there I like. The area is definitely cute (especially Ventura), seems very safe, and is cheaper than WeHo, but I couldn't help but feel that it was a tad "suburb-y" with lots of families, and I didn't spot much nightlife. I know it's close-ish to Hollywood and WeHo, but I don't like the idea of having to DRIVE somewhere for a night out all the time (because then I can't really drink). Am I right or wrong here?!

I would really appreciate any advice that would help me go in one direction or the other. I am VERY crunched for time.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 09:11 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,849,335 times
There are lots of quiet residential streets--mostly of apartment buildings and courtyard apartments (some of them gorgeous)--in West Hollywood. I probably wouldn't get a place right on Santa Monica or Sunset Blvd., but that's not where most of the apartments are anyway. West Hollywood gives you more options for getting home from work, several streets, and the ability to take the bus if you want. I think your own assessments of the two places are reasonable. Studio City is fine, but it really sounds like WeHo is more like what you want.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:44 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
i'm surprised you don't have los feliz on your list, which is closer to children's hospital than both studio city and weho (you could even walk to work if you chose the right part of los feliz). night life isn't abundant in los feliz, but hollywood is nearby and the neighborhood is pretty active during the rest of the day. for a glimpse into the lifestyle in los feliz watch the movie "swingers".

Old 10-30-2012, 11:02 AM

2,720 posts, read 5,624,283 times
Yeah why not Silverlake, Echo Park or Loz Feliz? Those are great happening areas with tons of nightlife and pedestrian streets.

Studio City is my favorite place in LA though. It is a bit suburban but the great thing about LA is that there isn't this huge disconnect between the burbs and the city like there is in other cities.

Live on Ventura and drive down the Canyons on Laurel. It's a gorgeous ride and it will take you straight to WeHo and Hollywood!

Old 10-30-2012, 06:37 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,624,896 times
Downtown LA. Take the Redline to work. Takes 15-20 min.

People are going to say its not safe but thats not true.You'll thank me later.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:35 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,849,335 times
Yes, Silver Lake would also fit your criteria.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:46 PM

164 posts, read 606,687 times
If you're looking for nightlife for straight singles, more and more of that is clustered in Hollywood, Silverlake, Los Feliz, Echo Park, downtown LA.

West Hollywood is very nice, although aside from the predominantly gay clubs on Santa Monica Blvd, there's not as much going on as you may think. The Sunset Strip is becoming more of a tourist trap than a place where locals hang out. Melrose Ave isn't quite as punk/alternative as it used to be in the 90s. And there's some great restaurants on 3rd. All that said, there's still a lot going on, but not as much as you may be led to believe.

Full disclosure: I live in WeHo and love it, but tend to end up in the aforementioned neighborhoods for dining and going out.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:11 PM

671 posts, read 1,189,851 times
North Hollywood can be 10+ degrees HOTTER than WeHo in the summer. North Hollywood truly does have cruel summers. This is not only an issue of comfort, but of economics as you will need to run your A/C a LOT more.

As for commute I vote for WeHo. Easier by drive or by public transit that probably require only a single bus to get to work and back. That will NOT be the case from North Hollywood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles