Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2012, 06:47 PM

19 posts, read 37,374 times

Advertisements

So last year I submitted an application to the County of LA for a "Decline In Value" for my property. The valuation date was January 2011.

In August 2012, I had a hearing with the appeals board. They reduced the value of my property somewhat, not as much as I had estimated, but by more than the assessor had given (the assessor was not happy).

In October 2012, I received a letter informing me that my decline in value was officially approved.

So my question is: now what? I received my 2012-2013 tax bill, and it still has the old (higher) property value. Do I automatically receive a refund for taxes that I paid last year? Or do I have to file something else to get that refund?

And I understand that decline-in-values are good only for that one year. How do I make this permanent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 07:06 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,723,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by powermargin View Post
So last year I submitted an application to the County of LA for a "Decline In Value" for my property. The valuation date was January 2011.

In August 2012, I had a hearing with the appeals board. They reduced the value of my property somewhat, not as much as I had estimated, but by more than the assessor had given (the assessor was not happy).

In October 2012, I received a letter informing me that my decline in value was officially approved.

So my question is: now what? I received my 2012-2013 tax bill, and it still has the old (higher) property value. Do I automatically receive a refund for taxes that I paid last year? Or do I have to file something else to get that refund?

And I understand that decline-in-values are good only for that one year. How do I make this permanent?
Why don't you simply call the tax assessor?

Old 11-01-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Why don't you simply call the tax assessor?
Did that a few weeks ago, was on hold FOREVER and gave up.

Sent them an email, they responded a week later, but the response wasn't that helpful.

Hoping someone else here has done this and can let me know how to get a refund.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:28 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,723,939 times
I went through this in Ventura County in the early 1990s??? I sort of forgot but I don't recall it being much of a hassle nor do I remember much about the tax bill issue you mentioned. I didn't have an impound account either.....Do you have one? Maybe your mortgage lender will work it for you????

Old 11-02-2012, 05:21 PM

Update: Tried two other email requests in addition to the original one (assessor.lacounty.gov, auditor.lacounty.gov, bos.lacounty.gov)

Finally got a response from the assessor stating that the refund process is automatic and I should receive it within 3 months. Though that was a good idea to check with my mortgage lender to see if they refunded it to them (since I have an escrow account)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles