Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 05:12 PM

15 posts, read 81,576 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,

Can a few of you please provide me with some input on living in or around Burbank? I'm looking for a 1 bedroom apartment ($800 - $1100) that is in a safe, clean area (I'm a caucasian/white, 22 year old male). Are there a lot of apartments in Burbank that seem to be safe? I've read in some places that Burbank & Toluca Lake seem to be nice?

I will be working in Burbank but I'm unsure the furthest out I can actually live when considering traffic in the mornings. Can somebody please enlighten me on the traffic in & around Burbank as well, please?

Thank you guys so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 05:47 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,353,738 times
Burbank itself on the south, east, and SE side. you should also consider pasadena, especially south pasadena. traffic from those places should be no problem

Old 10-10-2007, 06:05 PM

Thanks! I mapquested Pasadena and I see that is a good spot - I also see West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, & University City as closeby (10 miles). Are these safe areas that aren't as trafficky (is there such thing as that?)

Old 10-10-2007, 06:18 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,353,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motleygus View Post
Thanks! I mapquested Pasadena and I see that is a good spot - I also see West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, & University City as closeby (10 miles). Are these safe areas that aren't as trafficky (is there such thing as that?)
if you can find an apt in WeHo for your price go for it! You won't though, unless you look very carefully and maybe go down to a studio. WeHo is very expensive. I'm guessing you're single. If so, BH is no good. I would stick with Pasadena b/c there is some night life there, it's safe, it's close to Burbank, i'ts not outrageously expensive, and there is a little bit of night life. If you want night life, WeHo isn't too far away (WeHo is the party central of LA). Universal City doesn't have any residnecy, but the area nearby is good. Make sure to stay south of the 134 Ventura Freeway, or else it gets a little sketchy and unsafe.

Definitely go with Pasadena though, hands down. Even if you have to splurge a little, it will be worth it b/c you will love living there. Be cautious before renting an apt. there though b/c in the summer temps reach over 100* so you need to make sure that there is a working A/C. Most places will have a heater, but I suggest having one of those for the winter as temps can get into the 30's.

Old 10-11-2007, 04:30 PM

Awesome, thank you so much :-) I really appreciate your help!

Old 10-11-2007, 10:04 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,174,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motleygus View Post
Oh no! Don't go over the hill or you will have to fight traffic into Burbank! West Hollywood and Beverly Hills are very nice but they are over the hill! Universal City is on the right side of the hill but doesn't have much housing. I think you would be looking at Studio City instead.

True story: During rainy season, it once took me 3 hours to drive 10 miles between Burbank and mid-Wilshire. There are only a couple of streets that will take you directly between Hollywood and Burbank (that would be the 101 freeway and Cahuenga) and if there is an accident or a mudslide or anything like that -- all bets are off on traffic moving at all.

I would try to pick something close to Burbank with multiple routes you can take to work.

Burbank itself is very safe. The only area I don't recommend is the area south of I-5 and north of VanOwen (the train tracks) close to the airport. That area is industrial and the few apartments that exist over there are not great.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:07 PM

I understand that Britney Spears' favorite kareoke bar is in Burbank... I guess that is where she practices at.

Old 10-12-2007, 02:04 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,339,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I understand that Britney Spears' favorite kareoke bar is in Burbank... I guess that is where she practices at.

Does she go to Dimples? I need to go again.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer68 View Post
Does she go to Dimples? I need to go again.
Yep. Dimples is her bar.

There is another bar in Burbank that attracts famous music guys and professional models but I'm not going to divulge it's name. It's really a hole in the wall. A very quiet hole in the wall, but it gets a lot of "name" customers.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:26 PM

1,150 posts, read 2,700,133 times
Red face UB50 has a good point, but....

UB50 has a good point about crossing "the Hill" i.e. eastern end tip of Santa Monica mtns. and occasional traffic jams, but most days/times all the areas mentioned in the thread are do-able for you. Please understand 800-1000 for a 1-bdrm is the very, very bottom of the range. These will be few in number (i.e. hard to find/rent quickly) and will be lacking somehow (i.e. smaller or crummier or faulty appliances or sketchy neighborhood or unresponsive apt manager or some other sacrifice that you'll most likely really regret having to make)....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles