Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 12:13 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,225,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamove101 View Post
Hello ,
I am moving from Michigan with a child and found two apartments in the Long Beach area,one is on E Los coyotes Diagonal and the other on Belmont Ave(east of Redondo).The crime stats are really high in the Long beach area ,can someone please advise on these two locations.
Thank you!
I lived near the Diagonal for years and the area is pretty quiet. Bellflower links up with CSULB to the south and the neighborhoods in-between are very nice. And East of Redondo is fine, to my recollection. Everything east of Bellflower is pretty suburban as I recall. Perhaps Central LB is tipping the scale- there are gang-infested areas around PCH/Cherry and north on Orange. I lived near PCH and Molino (just east of Cherry) and we had a car stolen. Almost a bike as well, until I heard my beagle barking and I was able to chase the guy down.

Regardless, my wife and I enjoyed living there. Was kind of a middle step between us leaving OC to get to Los Angeles. All in all, it was nice.

Old 03-28-2008, 04:58 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,066,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy lady View Post
Don't move to the downtown area of long beach! You will be in for such a shock. (eek! icon)

Ironically there are small art galleries and activities but it is infested with homeless bums and high crime. The whole of downtown smells because of the bums. The stink is horrible. Long Beach is many many mexicans. Huge population. Predominantly mexicans and illegals. Crime abounds. If you go to belmont shore it is much better. But snooty. Phony. Arrogant. But looks nice.

The good thing about Long Beach is that it is so easy to get an apartment close to the beach. But be careful in going to the beach. You will be nickle and dimed to death by homeless people asking for handouts. They will be rummaging through trash cans. The water is dirty. Makes one not want to swim in it.

Long Beach is part of L.A. county. Orange county calls their border line with L.A. the orange wall because they don't want any of the l.a. trash coming across. If you want a nice place to live try orange county along the beach. Huntington beach, seal beach, laguna beach, etc. Very nice areas and safe. No riff raff. But stay out of LongBeach. I guarantee you will regret it. From a sister to a brother.
A pox on you for making me defend Long Beach. When I lived in Long Beach (1999) this post was very true. But the yhave done a very good job revitalizing Downtown. I would stick to the area immediately surrounding the open air mall or the beach all the way down to Belmont Shore. I wouldn't venture too far into Long Beach though.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:52 PM

21 posts, read 68,751 times
It's the 'Orange Curtain', by the way.
Sorry sweetie, but it IS the orange wall.

Thankfully, we never spoke again.
Your not a very friendly representative of Long Beach!

the water is warm from the oil island drilling,
Oil Island Drilling?!

It was so warm (how warm was it)
how warm was it - forgot the question mark, sweetie.

that I used to go swimming at night.
That's the best way. You can't tell the water is dirty that way. Ignorance is bliss, sweetie.
[+] Rate this post positively

Old 03-30-2008, 08:56 PM

I would stick to the area immediately surrounding the open air mall or the beach all the way down to Belmont Shore. I wouldn't venture too far into Long Beach though.

You got that right! DO NOT VENTURE OUT OF THE AFORE MENTIONED AREA!

Old 03-31-2008, 01:02 AM

I am moving ... with a child ... The crime stats are really high in the Long beach area ,can someone please advise on these two locations.
Thank you!

Do not move to Long Beach with a child!!! DO NOT!!!! There are drive by shootings, murders daily. The town is over run with mexican gangs. Gangs that are shooting each other as well as anybody else they please. Like you read, it is a HIGH CRIME area. There are many gays in the town also. Additionally there are many gay bashings. It is a violent place.

Ironically the town has put money into building fancy restaurants, etc. Trying to attract different people and turn the city around. But that may take 50, 75 years before those efforts will be rewarded - if ever. It is a very dangerous place to live. I know.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:50 PM

916 posts, read 3,685,587 times
Quote:
I am moving ... with a child ... The crime stats are really high in the Long beach area ,can someone please advise on these two locations.
Thank you!

Do not move to Long Beach with a child!!! DO NOT!!!! There are drive by shootings, murders daily. The town is over run with mexican gangs. Gangs that are shooting each other as well as anybody else they please. Like you read, it is a HIGH CRIME area. There are many gays in the town also. Additionally there are many gay bashings. It is a violent place.

Ironically the town has put money into building fancy restaurants, etc. Trying to attract different people and turn the city around. But that may take 50, 75 years before those efforts will be rewarded - if ever. It is a very dangerous place to live. I know.
Apparently you don't know. The Peninsula, Naples, Belmont Shore, Belmont Heights, Belmont Park, Virginia Country Club, Park Estates, College Park, Spinnaker Bay, Cal Heights, Bixby Knolls and El Dorado Park are just a few of the many safe, beautiful neighborhoods in Long Beach that are great for raising a family.

There are bad neighborhoods in LB. It is a huge place with roughly 500k people. To color the entire city bad is ignorant.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:18 PM

23 posts, read 242,878 times
Quote:
Thank you!

Oh, for crying out loud. I have a child and I live in Long Beach. I've lived here for 12 years, my husband has been here for 25, and neither of us have ever been the victim of any form of crime, nor have any of our friends. I don't just mean violent crime, I mean any kind of crime. The worst thing I've seen is kids toilet-papering houses.

I'm not sure what your point about gays is, but we have very many gay friends, and they all love living in Long Beach. There are three gay families that live on my street, and they and their children are loved and accepted just like everyone else in the neighborhood.

Yes, there are parts of Long Beach that have high crime rates (most parts of downtown, for example), but the rest of the city is lovely. I've lived a lot of places, including two foreign countries, and the years I've spent in Long Beach have been blissfully crime-free. In the two years I lived in England I had my car stolen once and my flat broken into twice. Nothing remotely like that has ever happened to me here.

Personally, I can't stand Orange County, but that's just my opinion. Too conformist, too right-wing, too status-conscious.

As for raising a child here, I can give you my professional opinion as a developmental psychologist that your child will not be permanently scarred by living in Long Beach.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:38 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,247,862 times
OMG! You have no idea what you are talking about. Belmont Shore and Naples Island are some of the nicest places in LA. Belmont Heights is also nice, not as nice, but a cheaper alternative. Same with the CSULB area. Bixby Knolls is an upscale area with tons of families living peacefully.

Damn, if we could still give negative rep, you would have 0 rep right now. Could a mod delete these posts? There's no need for random negativity on this site and this is definitely an ill informed person who should not be posting on this website.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:49 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,608,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
OMG! You have no idea what you are talking about. Belmont Shore and Naples Island are some of the nicest places in LA. Belmont Heights is also nice, not as nice, but a cheaper alternative. Same with the CSULB area. Bixby Knolls is an upscale area with tons of families living peacefully.

Damn, if we could still give negative rep, you would have 0 rep right now. Could a mod delete these posts? There's no need for random negativity on this site and this is definitely an ill informed person who should not be posting on this website.
pot, meet kettle!

Old 03-31-2008, 06:04 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,247,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
pot, meet kettle!
LOL. I knew someone would say something like that, but at least I'm well informed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles