Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 01:34 PM

26 posts, read 88,167 times

Advertisements

I have decided to move to Burbank over North Hollywood.My research shows they have better schools and most people tell me north hollywood is a "dump".I live in Baltimore and compared to here Compton looks beautiful.Is burbank safe for the most part and are there any areas or apartments to stay away from.I will be renting for about 2-3 years until my savings goal is complete.Thanks for your help everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 02:46 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,624,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g2732chevy View Post
I have decided to move to Burbank over North Hollywood.My research shows they have better schools and most people tell me north hollywood is a "dump".I live in Baltimore and compared to here Compton looks beautiful.Is burbank safe for the most part and are there any areas or apartments to stay away from.I will be renting for about 2-3 years until my savings goal is complete.Thanks for your help everyone!

People who say N Hollywood is a dump are thinking of Valley Glen, Sun Valley and parts of Van Nuys. Sherman Way and beyond, yes it's a "dump" and a bit crime ridden but it's not Menace 2 Society for pete's sake.

Good lord, LA has to really do some PR work to shake off this image that it's this war zone from the 90s.

Pacoima and way way into the Valley headed away from the city is where the heavy crime seems to have all gone to. Panorama City and beyond too.

For it's gigantic size, LA is relatively safe. That is a statistical fact. New Orleans, Houston, Atlanta, Miami and Memphis have way way higher degrees of crime that make LA look like nothing.

Good choice on Burbank but I am getting tired of reading posts from transplants calling neighborhoods "ghetto", "dump", "dangerous", "hood", or whatever else, when they know nothing of those areas and cannot understand the concept of a place being old but stable working class and relatively safe.

Outside of LA this must be some sort of paradox? The ironic thing is that the people posting this stuff are usually from Houston, Atlanta or another more dangerous city yet automatically assume that LA is going to be like Boyz in the Hood.

Old 11-06-2012, 03:02 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,482,181 times
Quote:
Pacoima and way way into the Valley headed away from the city is where the heavy crime seems to have all gone to. Panorama City and beyond too.
Not too far into, because most of the edges of the San Fernando Valley are not really crime ridden. Northeast (Pacoima,Sylmar,Lakeview Terrace) is typical of what you're referring to but not Porter Ranch or Chatsworth or Knollwood (northern part of Granada Hills), or "West Hills", either.

But kudos to you on calling it (though C-D wouldn't let me rep you again until I spread the love around) as far as people automatically thinking that working class/old stable area = ethnic ghetto dump. I don't know that LA needs to fix its image or its PR that way, though. PEOPLE need to think past the stereotypes, good and bad, of L.A. and visit or live in the city, or at least be in touch with those situated here and seeing the place for what it is. The city can bear only so much responsiblity as to how people see it.

Old 11-06-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
Not too far into, because most of the edges of the San Fernando Valley are not really crime ridden. Northeast (Pacoima,Sylmar,Lakeview Terrace) is typical of what you're referring to but not Porter Ranch or Chatsworth or Knollwood (northern part of Granada Hills), or "West Hills", either.

But kudos to you on calling it (though C-D wouldn't let me rep you again until I spread the love around) as far as people automatically thinking that working class/old stable area = ethnic ghetto dump. I don't know that LA needs to fix its image or its PR that way, though. PEOPLE need to think past the stereotypes, good and bad, of L.A. and visit or live in the city, or at least be in touch with those situated here and seeing the place for what it is. The city can bear only so much responsiblity as to how people see it.
I try to have patience with people regarding this matter because I was like this too upon first visiting LA. Back home in Houston, if an area is usually older, more run down than there is crime there. In fact, a lot of crime. So people tend to associate older neighborhoods with crime.

In LA, it's strange that a lot of the older, more run down neighborhoods are just older working class neighborhoods with neighborhood councils, public events, family gatherings, etc. I was shocked that in my part of NoHo people were smiling saying hi, guys in baggy jeans shaved heads opening doors for people, girl with purple hair helping me with groceries. I mean the area is a strange combo of Leave it to Beaver in a Menace 2 Society looking neighborhood.

People do need to open up and look past the stereotypes.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:25 PM

Thanks for the response.I compared crime from CA to Maryland and Maryland is way worse.Baltimore is a wild city and not safe at all.In the winter it is 25-40 degrees durning daytime!I mean if live in Santa Monica then go to Compton of course you are going say its terrible!Los Angeles is a beautiful place and I am glad to be making the move!

Old 11-06-2012, 06:27 PM

I don't think North Hollywood,I have many friends who live there.I was not saying it was a dump.I live in Baltimore remember that.You ever seen the show the wire?That is Baltimore for you.I am tired of it!LA is a beautiful and I can't stress enough how glad I am to be moving there!

Old 11-06-2012, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g2732chevy View Post
I don't think North Hollywood,I have many friends who live there.I was not saying it was a dump.I live in Baltimore remember that.You ever seen the show the wire?That is Baltimore for you.I am tired of it!LA is a beautiful and I can't stress enough how glad I am to be moving there!
I came from Houston where we have Baltimore like areas too that people wouldn't dare venture to at night.

I have yet to see a true ghetto in LA that matches third ward or anything I've seen on the Wire. Yet, I've seen hoods that come a bit close, but still no cigar.

Pacoima, Panorama City and up NoHo into Sun Valley it can get quite rough.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:03 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,230,552 times
Many parts of North Hollywood are not bad at all! And it really depends on what you're into. But, yeah, Burbank (where I live) is nicer & the schools are WAYYYYYYYY better. The police response is very fast (I once called 911 because I saw a fight break out... like a domestic thing. 3 minutes later, there were helicopters and sirens all over the place). People are friendly, and it's very family oriented. I feel very safe living here.

My sister is 25, and I advised her to rent in North Hollywood to be near public transport and more nightlife. Someone with a family, Burbank over NoHo, hands-down.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:53 AM

8 posts, read 29,246 times
I want to thank everyone on this thread for their postings.

I'm from Dayton, Ohio and planning to move to Burbank by the beginning of the year. I'll be sharing an apt with one other person and we have a couple people that we can stay with temporarily until we find a place we like. In the meantime, I think we're going to put our things in a storage unit when we get there, so we don't have to overload our hosts or risk car burglary by leaving items in the cars.

I heard westsiderentals.com is a good place to start looking. I've personally never looked for an apt before. How do you know if an advertisement's a scam?

Old 11-15-2012, 09:49 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,624,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dytoh View Post
I want to thank everyone on this thread for their postings.

I'm from Dayton, Ohio and planning to move to Burbank by the beginning of the year. I'll be sharing an apt with one other person and we have a couple people that we can stay with temporarily until we find a place we like. In the meantime, I think we're going to put our things in a storage unit when we get there, so we don't have to overload our hosts or risk car burglary by leaving items in the cars.

I heard westsiderentals.com is a good place to start looking. I've personally never looked for an apt before. How do you know if an advertisement's a scam?
Westside rentals is mostly not going to be a scam.

One thing you absolutely should do is ALWAYS speak with building management before signing anything. IE, you may find an ad from someone looking to sublease or break their lease. By speaking with building management, you can verify everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles