Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 12:38 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times

Advertisements

If you're willing to get a roommate, you can get by. I mean, that's what I'm going to do. I don't think it's right to say this is poor people, there's so many people out there who only make 9 or 10 bucks an hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 08:16 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,026,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
The cost of housing in LA is much higher than in Boston. Plus public transportation is 2nd rate at best. Most importantly living wage jobs are hard to come by since you're competing against illegal immigrant laborers, legal non-english speaking immigrants, college kiddies & wanna-be aspiring actors, singers, models etc. The job market at the lower end of the scale is really really tough. Unless you have outside financial support you could wind up homeless living out of your car. Think long & hard before you make the move.
This post is the TRUTH.

Might I suggest getting a job (even retail) in your current city FIRST, then after a couple of months transferring over to their LA office or store.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
If you're willing to get a roommate, you can get by. I mean, that's what I'm going to do. I don't think it's right to say this is poor people, there's so many people out there who only make 9 or 10 bucks an hour.
$9 to $10 an hour in an expensive city like LA or NY is "poor". It might be middle class for Idaho or Kentucky, but not for LA.

I've said this in other threads, but 70% of the people living in LA are probably eligible for food stamps, but are too "proud" to realize it.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:31 PM

810 posts, read 1,342,106 times
You'd think someone who speaks perfect English, citizen, and college degree would be above so many in LA to get a job.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:03 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,625,585 times
How in the hell is making ten bucks an hour a "middle class" salary? In any city?

Americans are so proud they don't want to admit that they're poor. I mean the national optimism is turning into a form of delusional denial.

If you cannot retire on your salary, don't think you have good job security, can't afford health care or could be devastated by the loss of two paychecks, then you're poor. It's that simple. Going to the movies, able to buy the latest I phone and making payments on a p.o.s car doesn't make you middle class.

Old 11-11-2012, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
How in the hell is making ten bucks an hour a "middle class" salary? In any city?
I don't know, but the poster I was responding to seemed to take offense to the word "poor" as if there are different degrees of it. Making $10 an hour is upper middle class for third world countries.

Quote:
Americans are so proud they don't want to admit that they're poor. I mean the national optimism is turning into a form of delusional denial.
Yes, it is.

Quote:
If you cannot retire on your salary, don't think you have good job security, can't afford health care or could be devastated by the loss of two paychecks, then you're poor. It's that simple. Going to the movies, able to buy the latest I phone and making payments on a p.o.s car doesn't make you middle class.
Exactly. California always has cities that make the top ten broke list in some way (i.e., unemployment, homelessness, foreclosures, etc.). They never talk about the hundreds of thousands who get evicted from their apartments everyday due to economic circumstances.

If I would have been able to secure a decent paying job in LA, I would still be living there. I stayed there for close to 7 years struggling "wishing and hoping" that something would come in and it never did.

Not that I was rich in NYC, but I never knew struggle like that before in my entire life. People working for years and years at traditionally low paying jobs like Rite Aid and the supermarkets like these are "career" jobs. Yes, they might be union, but the pay is still incredibly low to start and it would probably take ten years to make $13 an hour (IF that).

Old 11-11-2012, 06:24 AM

10,261 posts, read 12,509,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I don't know, but the poster I was responding to seemed to take offense to the word "poor" as if there are different degrees of it. Making $10 an hour is upper middle class for third world countries.

Yes, it is.

Exactly. California always has cities that make the top ten broke list in some way (i.e., unemployment, homelessness, foreclosures, etc.). They never talk about the hundreds of thousands who get evicted from their apartments everyday due to economic circumstances.

If I would have been able to secure a decent paying job in LA, I would still be living there. I stayed there for close to 7 years struggling "wishing and hoping" that something would come in and it never did.

Not that I was rich in NYC, but I never knew struggle like that before in my entire life. People working for years and years at traditionally low paying jobs like Rite Aid and the supermarkets like these are "career" jobs. Yes, they might be union, but the pay is still incredibly low to start and it would probably take ten years to make $13 an hour (IF that).
Unfortunately the pay will give the same money..adjusted to inflation and maybe less

Old 11-11-2012, 07:05 AM

734 posts, read 932,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
The one bedroom I have now is still too small. For 950 and some change I can live like a king in Houston. If I got a roommate and we both had to split the rent 50/50 at 950, we would have a sweet ass two stort townhome brand new with garage, all right next to midtown where the action's at, hardwoord floors, new kitchen, the works. And even then people would think I was a stupid idiot for paying that much for pad!
True, but you'd be in Houston.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:34 AM

734 posts, read 932,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
$9 to $10 an hour in an expensive city like LA or NY is "poor". It might be middle class for Idaho or Kentucky, but not for LA.

I've said this in other threads, but 70% of the people living in LA are probably eligible for food stamps, but are too "proud" to realize it.
Even in places like Idaho and Kentucky, if a person makes 9 or 10 bucks an hour they are still poor. But they are able to fool themselves into believing otherwise, because the cost of living is more "affordable" than in high cost areas like NYC, SF, DC, Boston, LA [insert other expensive cities].

Also, I'm shocked by the number of people who have to live w/ room-mates just to get by. Sorry, but if these people are working but still require room-mates to survive they are poor.

It amazes me that so many poor people consider themselves middle class, when in fact, they are really part of the working poor.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:41 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Default Best place to be poor in LA?

Jail! A roof over your head and three hots and a cot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles