Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 03:40 AM

2 posts, read 3,639 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am going to be moving to LA in the next couple of months. Currently, I live on the East Coast. I am looking for a place to live in LA, but not really familiar with the area, so I hope you all here on this forum could help me. I am a 26 year old single guy looking for a nice neighborhood in LA to live in. Currently, I don't know anyone in LA, so I would like to live in a neighborhood that has people in my demographic (mid-upper 20s, single crowd). I would like this so I can have a chance to make new friends in my neighborhood. At first I will be working from my home in LA, so I could live just about anywhere in LA. Commuting will not be a problem. As far as my rent in concerned, I can afford up to $4000/per month. I would like to live in a more preppy type of neighborhood of LA. My style and demeanor is more preppy. I am the kind of guy you would find with Ralph Lauren polo with a popped collar and cargos shorts and flip flops on a warm spring/summer day. I am into things like golf, tennis, swimming, water polo.

As I said before I want to live in a neighborhood that has lots of young people (mid 20s crowd), the single crowd. I am a very social person, so I would like to make some great friends in my own neighborhood. You see my new job in LA will be working from my home, and then going out to see clients and investors. So, I am not going to be able to have the traditional work office experience where I can my friends at work. So, it is really important for me to leave in a neighborhood that’s has a lot of young people and single people like me so I can make some great friends.

So now which part of LA, do you guys feel would be the best for me? I do appreciate your time in reading my forum and helping me out and I would like to say thank you to all of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 05:37 AM

207 posts, read 508,450 times
$4000/month for rent?

What "real" 26 year old can afford $4K/month for rent?

Old 11-10-2012, 05:50 AM

13 posts, read 47,536 times
^His parents are rich?

Old 11-10-2012, 06:56 AM

2 posts, read 3,639 times
yes I can afford $ 4,000/per month and no I do not have rich parents........ I worked for a small start-up in New York, and a few months a go we were bought out by a very large company.................... so I made a lot of money in stock and last month I sold the stock............ I guess I was just lucky enough to work for that company................. anyway any advice to my original post about were I should live in LA ?

Old 11-10-2012, 07:24 AM

1,083 posts, read 2,169,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLB227 View Post
Hi all,

I am going to be moving to LA in the next couple of months. Currently, I live on the East Coast. I am looking for a place to live in LA, but not really familiar with the area, so I hope you all here on this forum could help me. I am a 26 year old single guy looking for a nice neighborhood in LA to live in. Currently, I don't know anyone in LA, so I would like to live in a neighborhood that has people in my demographic (mid-upper 20s, single crowd). I would like this so I can have a chance to make new friends in my neighborhood. At first I will be working from my home in LA, so I could live just about anywhere in LA. Commuting will not be a problem. As far as my rent in concerned, I can afford up to $4000/per month. I would like to live in a more preppy type of neighborhood of LA. My style and demeanor is more preppy. I am the kind of guy you would find with Ralph Lauren polo with a popped collar and cargos shorts and flip flops on a warm spring/summer day. I am into things like golf, tennis, swimming, water polo.

As I said before I want to live in a neighborhood that has lots of young people (mid 20s crowd), the single crowd. I am a very social person, so I would like to make some great friends in my own neighborhood. You see my new job in LA will be working from my home, and then going out to see clients and investors. So, I am not going to be able to have the traditional work office experience where I can my friends at work. So, it is really important for me to leave in a neighborhood that’s has a lot of young people and single people like me so I can make some great friends.

So now which part of LA, do you guys feel would be the best for me? I do appreciate your time in reading my forum and helping me out and I would like to say thank you to all of you.
You might want to check out this older thread: Top 10 Best Places to Live in LA for SINGLES

Of the places mentioned here, I'd say Westwood, West Hollywood, Pasadena, Santa Monica and Culver City are some good options. $4000/mo is a pretty healthy budget, so there should be a fairly wide variety of housing options, depending on where you choose to be.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:29 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
If you want a "neighborhood" vibe, I'd vote Pasadena. The other areas mentioned are highly urbanized. Also, it would be more possible to rent a house there instead of an apartment, and the historic architecture and walkability there is less of a culture shock.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:54 AM

78 posts, read 189,477 times
You are aware that Prop 30 just passed making CA one of the highest taxed states in union, ever? Please tell me that you know LA city council is now raising the sales tax in the city too?

Old 11-10-2012, 11:03 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,111,029 times
Most important form of advice I can give you:

DOnt stop at stop signs

someone asks you where your from, say "nowhere"

At night watch out for that car with no headlights on driving slow

Duck..

Old 11-11-2012, 06:06 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,704,681 times
There's no specific area that has 'young people' all living in one neighborhood, but West Hollywood is a pretty good spot to start. Its in the middle of everything and you're close to everything. For those who said Pasadena....Pas is great, but its kind of 'out of the way' of the 'real action' in LA....if you lived in Pasadena, you would have to drive in to LA in order to be where the action is and that's kind of a far drive, especially with LA traffic.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:44 PM

23,511 posts, read 23,986,796 times
West Hollywood, West LA, Pasadena and other areas. 4K is a pretty healthy rental budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles