Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 02:43 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,620,458 times

Advertisements

Relax people, it's just a symbolic move. It's not like they're banning the sale of meat on Mondays or imposing some luxury tax on Lawry's or Mastro's.

The only reason the government is so involved with health & nutrition is because ultimately we tax payers are on the hook for all the health woes & accompanying meds & treatments to seniors for a lifetime of overindulgence. If there's a way to reduce future diabetes and coronary diseases by even 5% simply by diet changes alone that's hundreds of millions Medicare doesn't have to shell out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 08:42 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,033,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
Relax people, it's just a symbolic move. It's not like they're banning the sale of meat on Mondays or imposing some luxury tax on Lawry's or Mastro's.

The only reason the government is so involved with health & nutrition is because ultimately we tax payers are on the hook for all the health woes & accompanying meds & treatments to seniors for a lifetime of overindulgence. If there's a way to reduce future diabetes and coronary diseases by even 5% simply by diet changes alone that's hundreds of millions Medicare doesn't have to shell out.
You're being far too logical for some folks on here, and frankly, you're taking away their right to complain. If you know what's good for you, you'll keep facts to yourself. I have dozens of pro-Meatless Monday facts I could share, but decided it wasn't worth it. They'll just then debate about that. But, for what it's worth, you're right. Good post.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:04 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,684,227 times
Jeezbuz did Woodrow Wilson get elected to LA city council. You oldtimers will know what I'm talking about.

Food around the corner - YouTube

Old 11-17-2012, 11:43 AM

5,068 posts, read 10,128,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
PU, I smell religion, and I have a nose for religion.
I'm an atheist. I do enjoy the food I eat, though.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:35 PM

928 posts, read 1,712,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
^Fair enough, but I'm complaining because the LA city council should be spending their time dealing with real issues, like the budget, homelessness, crime, and much much more before stupid symbolic declarations about your diet.
Poor health is a serious issue. It doesn't take a whole lot of time or money to encourage people to go a single day of the week without meat. I'm a meat lover myself, but reducing meat consumption is a good thing, and encouraging people to do so doesn't require you to abandon all efforts to combat crime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
I'm all for it! But I'd suggest that everybody cut 90% of our meat down with maybe very lean meat found in Subway sandwiches.
You're suggesting Subway sandwiches? Can't tell if serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Today its just "raising awareness", tomorrow you're trying to decide what to use your weekly 8oz meat ration card on.
Put away your tinfoil hats, people. There's no conspiracy to take away your cheeseburgers.

Old 11-17-2012, 02:48 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,931,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
I'm an atheist. I do enjoy the food I eat, though.
The VEG religion. One of the more annoying religions, almost as annoying as the door-to-door types.

Old 11-17-2012, 02:52 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,441,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
Put away your tinfoil hats, people. There's no conspiracy to take away your cheeseburgers.
That's what they told the smokers 20 years ago.

Old 11-17-2012, 02:53 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,931,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
You're being far too logical for some folks on here, and frankly, you're taking away their right to complain.
Since when is complaining a bad thing? I love to complain and keep company with complainers. It's so much more appealing than hanging around with sunny, happy, perky people, who you eventually want to smash their happy little faces in with a club.

Old 11-17-2012, 02:55 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,243,410 times
I wish we'd had this when I was a kid rather than "Meatloaf Monday", which I dreaded.

Old 11-17-2012, 05:37 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,128,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I wish we'd had this when I was a kid rather than "Meatloaf Monday", which I dreaded.
I loved meat loaf when I was a kid, and long afterwords. In fact liked all kinds of meat cuts. Maybe your mother had a different recipe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles