Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 01:32 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,768,986 times

Advertisements

OP's attitude is not going to get very far if he wants to live in Los Angeles.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:44 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,768,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
LA is only the answer if you can make it the answer to your problems.

Boston has to be one of the most exclusive cities I've ever been to. Cliquish, natives stick to their own and utterly ice cold in terms of friendliness. I never made one Boston native friend. Everyone I hung out with while living there was from out of town.

LA has some really down to Earth native peoples. Just watch out for some of the transplants from the Northeast who tend to dominate West LA and bring their pretentious attitudes with them.
I've met some Boston natives and I'm not from there. Granted though this was sort of a meet planned ahead of time, mostly involving cars and other shenanigans. They've been nice and I've had a great time with them as well.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:35 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,635,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
If it were me, I'd check out Austin. A far better city overall, rapidly developing tech sector, good weather, much friendlier people, excellent nightlife, and one of the best food scenes in the country!

LA is alright, but the politics are so out of whack here that sometimes it feels the city tries to be "progressive" just for the sake of being progressive... it's turning out like San Francisco and all of it's lunacy. Austin, on the other hand, is a liberal city, but it feels more sane and rooted in common sense.
...In your opinion.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
A.) Boston does not have a huge Hispanic population with the exception of a sizeable Brazilian population. There are also Portuguese but they consider themselves white like Italians and Greeks. Other than that Boston can be described as a unfriendly town with a lot of traditionalist people on one side and sarcastic hipsters on the other.

B.) Austin is liberal but being liberal in Texas is like being a moderate elsewhere. Nothing is going to be as progressive as the Northwest or Vermont, nothing. So comparing Austin to LA is spurious. Both cities are green or progressive in name only. Both are liberal socially but when we get down to the economics of things, both cities still cater to big business (while taxing the small ones to death).

Austin is small, super small. It's beautiful and can be seen as a poor man's California, but in reality it's like getting Spanish leather. It's great but it's not Italian. You will basically have lakes, not oceans. Hills, but not mountains, sunshine but no ocean breeze. It's also a huge college town with a lot of young twenty somethings and burnt out thirty year olds who couldn't make it in Houston or Dallas.

It's laid back as hell though.

C.) How can any of you compare LA to anything else in America? There is nothing like LA at all. It is truly unique and fascinating. Not even NYC has this much on such an amazing eceletic city. In essense, Los Angeles truly is America's top destination.
Great summation. I mean Austin is in Texas for heavansake! Texas!! Nothing is comparable to this city (LA). And I've been to a lot (NYC, Paris, Rome, Toronto, Chicago, just to name a few) at the end of my trips I always say the same thing, "well at least I'm going back to LA" as opposed to some midwestern or southern city where the weather is bad and the people are xenophobic (not all cities I know). Good response BF.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:14 PM

Quote:
A.) Boston does not have a huge Hispanic population with the exception of a sizeable Brazilian population. There are also Portuguese but they consider themselves white like Italians and Greeks. Other than that Boston can be described as a unfriendly town with a lot of traditionalist people on one side and sarcastic hipsters on the other.

B.) Austin is liberal but being liberal in Texas is like being a moderate elsewhere. Nothing is going to be as progressive as the Northwest or Vermont, nothing. So comparing Austin to LA is spurious. Both cities are green or progressive in name only. Both are liberal socially but when we get down to the economics of things, both cities still cater to big business (while taxing the small ones to death).

Austin is small, super small. It's beautiful and can be seen as a poor man's California, but in reality it's like getting Spanish leather. It's great but it's not Italian. You will basically have lakes, not oceans. Hills, but not mountains, sunshine but no ocean breeze. It's also a huge college town with a lot of young twenty somethings and burnt out thirty year olds who couldn't make it in Houston or Dallas.

It's laid back as hell though.

C.) How can any of you compare LA to anything else in America? There is nothing like LA at all. It is truly unique and fascinating. Not even NYC has this much on such an amazing eceletic city. In essense, Los Angeles truly is America's top destination.
Great summation. I mean Austin is in Texas for heaven's sake! Texas!! Nothing is comparable to this city (LA). And I've been to a lot (NYC, Paris, Rome, Toronto, Chicago, just to name a few) at the end of my trips I always say the same thing, "well at least I'm going back to LA" as opposed to some midwestern or southern city where the weather is bad and the people are xenophobic (not all cities I know). Good response BF.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
The guy may be a troll but this notion that he is racist is probably more nuanced than what many deem in here. He may resent white people because he projects a certain insecurity due to the mass marketing of the white male/female being the symbol of beauty, or perhaps he's turned the racism he's felt from some whites back onto them. The point is that not all racism is just racism for racism sake. It may be that way to some of you because you're used to thinking of it in such general terms but there are varying differences, none of which should be interpreted to mean that one is better than the other.

All this may be spurious though because the OP may be just be a troll.
You just said what I was thinking but couldn't put into words. Deep and true.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:08 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,482,181 times
Quote:
Dude, dude, dude. Here we go again.

Not that I know TX well (only passed through the northern part, not Austin), but, once again, Austin by itself is well over half a million people, and Travis County as a whole is tending toward a million sometime in the next decade, probably. So how could it be small?

Having been born and raised in the LA Metro, I second the notion that there is no place quite like it, but c'mon.

Sometimes you might just want Spanish leather (I, personally, would not know the difference between that and Italian unless I looked at the tag (and I have both ancestries in my blood!)).

Sometimes you just might want lakes.

Sometimes you just might want hills.

Not having an ocean breeze would be somewhat more difficult, but what about that wind that comes whippin' down the plains (from OK, of course)?

And there are, we can be sure, people in their thirties and beyond who call Austin home by choice.

Does everything on this side of eternity have to be crème de là friggin' crème?

On a side note, here are some things that are super small:

Otter, MT (population 79; more cows than people but alas, no more otters )
Alturas, CA (more than that (around 3,000 or so but a small town still)
North Dakota forests
Louisiana deserts
Any other dots on the map that I could name.

Austin is FAR from being super small even in the U.S. and may be just what the OP wants/needs.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:28 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,624,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
Dude, dude, dude. Here we go again.

Not that I know TX well (only passed through the northern part, not Austin), but, once again, Austin by itself is well over half a million people, and Travis County as a whole is tending toward a million sometime in the next decade, probably. So how could it be small?

Having been born and raised in the LA Metro, I second the notion that there is no place quite like it, but c'mon.

Sometimes you might just want Spanish leather (I, personally, would not know the difference between that and Italian unless I looked at the tag (and I have both ancestries in my blood!)).

Sometimes you just might want lakes.

Sometimes you just might want hills.

Not having an ocean breeze would be somewhat more difficult, but what about that wind that comes whippin' down the plains (from OK, of course)?

And there are, we can be sure, people in their thirties and beyond who call Austin home by choice.

Does everything on this side of eternity have to be crème de là friggin' crème?

On a side note, here are some things that are super small:

Otter, MT (population 79; more cows than people but alas, no more otters )
Alturas, CA (more than that (around 3,000 or so but a small town still)
North Dakota forests
Louisiana deserts
Any other dots on the map that I could name.

Austin is FAR from being super small even in the U.S. and may be just what the OP wants/needs.
It's growing that's for sure and accommodating a huge influx of people from all over escaping recession. It's slowly but surely turning into something really big and dynamic, but it's still no LA.

I love Austin but it's too laid back for me. I prefer the growing trend Houston is becoming. It's bustling and trying hard to be the next LA, NYC.

Texas in general is a poor man's CA. It's a great place if you cannot afford CA, but after living here I do not think I can go back unless I absolutely have to.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:07 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
OP's attitude is not going to get very far if he wants to live in Los Angeles.
Or anywhere.

/thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles