Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 11:09 AM

2,720 posts, read 5,602,003 times

Advertisements

I am not talking about moneywise considering this is an expensive city but as far as opportunities this city has to offer, it's a lot easier than NYC, Boston or even DC to penetrate.

I think it might be the crazy set of circumstances like the mass exodus of professionals wanting a middle class family life, the job I tranferred to giving me decent pay, no huge debtload and college degree.

And I am not talking about the entertainment industry but entering professional life in general in LA. I joined my local council and found so many opportunities I wonder if the city is just desperate for new qualified people. From lectures to meet my favorite artists, architects and academics to random chance meetings with celebs. It's a pretty nice slice of life someone could carve for themselves in LA.

What I am trying to say is that I thought there would've been a huge barrier to any place I wanted to get into but found out that most of the city is pretty open. I haven't been completely shut out like in NYC or DC. Never been told to not enter a club, never been told this city meeting is for officials only, never been asked if I have tickets to this or that lecture. Then again I do not go searching for places I obviously know I would get shut down at. I also don't look like a desperate fool.

I think the problem may be that many Angelenos do not have time, don't care, or do not have the money (because they're working 24-7). I also think that there really are a lot of unqualified people in this city that just want to stick their nose into something they know less than half about.
Also, a lot of the opportunites are what you make of it, yet most of them are unpaid volunteering or interning. But, if you stuck to them and pushed through patiently you could really create something here.

The point is the major obstacles to making it in LA (even in the entertainment industry) are lack of money, lack of time, and swimming through the sea of unqualified and extremely talentless people that come off the bus every day. If you're really patient, really plan out what you want to do, have the credentials, and have good social skills, you can really do something with yourself here at an easier pace than in tough cities like NYC, DC, Boston.

I just wanted to share this people thinking about coming to LA or are already here and are doubting themselves and their decision to move out here. It can be done but you just have to get the stars out of your eyes and really begin at the bottom, be patient and manage time/money right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 11:25 AM

8,452 posts, read 14,958,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post

The point is the major obstacles to making it in LA (even in the entertainment industry) are lack of money, lack of time, and swimming through the sea of unqualified and extremely talentless people that come off the bus every day.
Entertainment people are always saying that it's 'who you know' in the industry that gets them ahead. So I would add intense networking as a necessary skill in LA.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:30 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,301,626 times
I have never lived in NYC , only visited but I think if you have the credentials, good social skills you can make it anywhere. There are a ton of people in L.A that don't plan or don't take advantage of opportunities just like there are tons in NYC or other cities. I know that rent is higher in NYC , but a lot of people don't have a car which is a huge expense. I bet many people in L.A are spending at least $600 a month on their cars, payment, insurance , maintenance ,gas ,etc.

In general NYC does appear to be much more competitive I think, but maybe that's just the perception. NYC people seem more focused on work/career versus family/fun.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Entertainment people are always saying that it's 'who you know' in the industry that gets them ahead. So I would add intense networking as a necessary skill in LA.
Yes of course, that too. What I was trying to say is that I found it easier than in most cities to get your foot in the door and the rest is up to you. In most other cities you can't even get in line it's so exclusive.

I was trying to say that I could see how some people 'make it' in LA without any discernable skills or higher education or real training; they spend all if not most of their time anttending events and networking, networking, networking. Then again these are people that do not mind living off bread crumbs and couch surfing for years until they get a big break. But that's like going to the same carnival game and shooting at the same target for years until you finally win a prize. That's a shot in the dark. In essense it's what highly motivated but probably highly delusional people do.

I am talking about people wanting to come to LA to pursue a career, realistic goals in a timely manner. Not manic people doing everything they can to climb to the top of Mt. Hollywood.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I have never lived in NYC , only visited but I think if you have the credentials, good social skills you can make it anywhere. There are a ton of people in L.A that don't plan or don't take advantage of opportunities just like there are tons in NYC or other cities. I know that rent is higher in NYC , but a lot of people don't have a car which is a huge expense. I bet many people in L.A are spending at least $600 a month on their cars, payment, insurance , maintenance ,gas ,etc.

In general NYC does appear to be much more competitive I think, but maybe that's just the perception. NYC people seem more focused on work/career versus family/fun.
Yes, it's true that if you have the pedigree, the work experience and the social skills that doors will be easier to open but imagine being in cities like NYC or Boston where every second person has a degree and not only a degree, but one from a top school. Chances are they have connections up the yin yang and still keep in touch with their prep school buddies. I mean the whole thing is ridiculous over on the East.

I've been to parties in LA where there are a lot of local college grads and the conversations hardly ever spill into politics and economics. Now in DC and NYC, where I've been to two socials, they cannot wait to start a discussion on policy or name drop the politicians or bankers they've interned for. There would not be a single person in the room that did not look like they didn't belong.

Where as in LA, I remember seeing one of the ditzy girls of this reality show acting a fool at a charity event for kids with autism. Another lady I saw was getting drunk talking about her roadie/groupie days. I mean the crowd was so mixed, there was a level of ease to the room, less intimidating. I mean at a lot of these parties, events, with celebs and what not there are a lot of people just filling the room. I am sure it's different at real red carpet insider event or award show but something tells me to doubt this too. Sometimes I feel I would have a better shot at parties if I just look better, i.e. worked out more, wore better clothes, etc.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:10 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,301,626 times
If people only want you at their parties because you work out more, wear better clothes do you really want to go to those parties? Sounds pretty superficial no?

Old 11-26-2012, 12:15 PM

8,452 posts, read 14,958,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
I mean the crowd was so mixed, there was a level of ease to the room, less intimidating.
Oh yes. Have been to very exclusive shows and parties, and have seen people dressed in sequined designer gowns, flip-flops and cargo shorts, business suits, skintight leather dresses, and jeans and t-shirts all in the same place. You never know if you're talking to an important producer or a party crasher.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
If people only want you at their parties because you work out more, wear better clothes do you really want to go to those parties? Sounds pretty superficial no?
But that's LA.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Oh yes. Have been to very exclusive shows and parties, and have seen people dressed in sequined designer gowns, flip-flops and cargo shorts, business suits, skintight leather dresses, and jeans and t-shirts all in the same place. You never know if you're talking to an important producer or a party crasher.
Yes! LOL. I know!

Old 11-26-2012, 12:29 PM

810 posts, read 1,336,902 times
Never cared for civic involvement much since it's what society revolves around in the midwest, but I wouldn't mind slight involvement in LA.

It goes too far though where I currently am. Everyone should run for mayor. There is definitely an elitism as to being connected to the "who's who" of local/state politics (especially in a midwestern capital city) to the point it's dizzying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles