Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2011, 03:55 PM

2 posts, read 5,228 times

Advertisements

First time poster, short-time lurker. I've seen a lot of great advice dispensed on these forums, so I figured I'd give it a shot since I've been unsuccessful in gathering the information I'm looking for elsewhere.

The facts:
Quote:
- My roommate and I started renting this unit (two bedroom house on a two-house plot, detached completely from the other house) a few months ago.

- The unit was in need of repairs when we moved in, but we were assured that these fixes would be completed in a timely manner. I know, I know, this is where we screwed up. In addition to the original work we knew needed to be done, we uncovered some other larger problems later on that were not immediately apparent when we first occupied the unit. Over the past few months, our landlord has dragged his feet on doing any and all repairs. It's always an uphill battle to get him to even come check things out, let alone complete any work. And when he does things, it's always half-assed.

- After a lengthy conversation with him last month, I decided to go ahead and see if I could get a health inspection for the property, as I was convinced that none had been done. In order to do so, I filed complaints against the landlord for existing issues (broken window, mold, etc.). The inspection is set for later this month.

- Additionally, through this process I've learned that our unit is supposed to be covered under the rent stabilization ordinance; however, he has stopped registering the unit as of a few years ago (for reasons unbeknownst to me). As a result, I have submitted a complaint to LAHD regarding this issue in an attempt to have them stop him from illegally collecting rent from us. We submitted a copy of the rental agreement and all rent checks paid to him.
At this point, neither I nor my roommate have the funds necessary to simply move out. Were that the case, we would have done so at this point. My strategy is to either:
a) Have the city compel our landlord to bring the house up to livable conditions and stay;
b) Have the city order him to stop collecting rent, which would buy us some time to squirrel away enough money to put down a deposit somewhere else (hopefully in 2 months' time); or
c) If the issues are severe enough (and I'm really not sure here), we could work out a situation by which he would owe us relocation assistance.

I know I've gotten myself into this mess, but I am trying to get out of it. Any and all help is much appreciated.

My questions are:
- Are the anticipated outcomes described above unrealistic?
- Is there any scenario(s) in which we would be forced to immediately move out and find a new place to live? Or will we at least be given a grace period (60 days?) to figure it all out?
- If we are forced to move out because of the unit not being registered, does relocation assistance kick into effect?
- Is there anything else I should be aware of?

Last edited by bulletproofx; 11-20-2011 at 04:12 PM.. Reason: addt'l info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 04:12 PM

349 posts, read 887,918 times
Default In a perfect world...

When you are in the right, and have the repair requests in writing (as it appears you do now) it would seem that these laws will protect the renter, but sadly, that does not always work out such.

The fact that you are in the right does not guarantee that you will be allowed to stay in the apartment but the more important question is *why* would you want to stay?

Chances are, the relationship between you and the landlord is not going to improve and any additional repairs would also be like pulling teeth.

My advice to you is to find a different place to live, check it thoroughly and within 10 days, put any and all repair issues in a letter.

This battle is not worth risking being homeless and without going to small claims court (which will cost you upfront money), you will not be awarded money from your present landlord. Relocation costs could take time to get, so given the LL's inability to fix repairs on his own, it is wisest to find a better place now, and pursue the matter in small claims once in your new apartment.

The laws are there to protect us renters but actualizing their protection is not easy nor are monetary awards guaranteed.

Just my take - and I've legally gotten out of a lease, so I do know of what I speak. Sometimes, you just accept your mistake and move on...if suing for relocation is worthwhile later, you can decide that in a place where the LL can't decide later to boot you out.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:21 PM

2 posts, read 5,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeSpirited1 View Post
The fact that you are in the right does not guarantee that you will be allowed to stay in the apartment but the more important question is *why* would you want to stay?
It's not at all that I want to stay; rather, I would put up with staying a little while longer if it meant that I could gather enough money to move out. At present, that is not the case.

Quote:
Chances are, the relationship between you and the landlord is not going to improve and any additional repairs would also be like pulling teeth.
I totally agree here. Best case scenario is to move out. However, if these repairs are requested by the LAHD, is there much wiggle room on his end? Maybe I'm putting too much faith in the system.

Quote:
My advice to you is to find a different place to live, check it thoroughly and within 10 days, put any and all repair issues in a letter.

This battle is not worth risking being homeless and without going to small claims court (which will cost you upfront money), you will not be awarded money from your present landlord. Relocation costs could take time to get, so given the LL's inability to fix repairs on his own, it is wisest to find a better place now, and pursue the matter in small claims once in your new apartment.

The laws are there to protect us renters but actualizing their protection is not easy nor are monetary awards guaranteed.

Just my take - and I've legally gotten out of a lease, so I do know of what I speak. Sometimes, you just accept your mistake and move on...if suing for relocation is worthwhile later, you can decide that in a place where the LL can't decide later to boot you out.
Are relocation costs a matter that is to be settled in small claims court? I was under the impression this was all dealt with out of court.

Thank you very much for your response.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:44 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
"From the street, the tidy two-story ranch house didn't stand out in the suburban Northridge tract.

But when police responded to the shooting deaths of four people there Sunday, officers were shocked at what they found inside.

The home was littered with old food and trash. Mattresses and portable stoves were scattered about, and officials believe that as many as 17 people were living inside. It had so much debris and so many partitions that one room could be accessed only through a window. A trail of extension cords led investigators to the backyard, where several makeshift living quarters had been assembled."

from

Northridge home where 4 were gunned down may be a boardinghouse - latimes.com

Old 12-04-2012, 10:50 AM

1,238 posts, read 1,830,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
"From the street, the tidy two-story ranch house didn't stand out in the suburban Northridge tract.

But when police responded to the shooting deaths of four people there Sunday, officers were shocked at what they found inside.

The home was littered with old food and trash. Mattresses and portable stoves were scattered about, and officials believe that as many as 17 people were living inside. It had so much debris and so many partitions that one room could be accessed only through a window. A trail of extension cords led investigators to the backyard, where several makeshift living quarters had been assembled."

from

Northridge home where 4 were gunned down may be a boardinghouse - latimes.com
Your point? And purpose of digging up a year old thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: