Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 12:22 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,258,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer68 View Post
Inglewood is one of the most dangerous, crime ridden parts of the L.A. metro area. Gardena is a little mellower and Hawthorne is Beverly Hills compared to Inglewood. Don't do it. There's no good reason to move to Inglewood unless you're in a gang. They've all been relocating there as other areas get gentrified.
I guess that you haven't been to Inglewood in a while. After taking a red-eye flight from Honolulu, I'm currently in my recording studio in Inglewood watching the news coverage of the California wildfires and listening to Ky-Mani Marley's "Radio." My Lexus is parked in front and after the mobile detailer finishes washing it, I'll probably have lunch at the Red Lobster over on Century, pick up a few items at the most uncrowded Costco in L.A. County, and return to the studio for a nap on one of the fold-out futons.

Strangely, I haven't seen any gang members or graffiti in the part of Inglewood that I'm in -- apparently, most of them moved to Lancaster, Palmdale, Moreno Valley, Las Vegas and other areas over the past several years. However, if you don't speak Spanish and possess a permanent suntan, they're are other areas that might be preferable (like Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, etc); however, Gardena and Hawthorne are just as "scary" as Inglewood (especially at night). Right now, it's probably better to be in Inglewood than in Stevenson Ranch, Agua Dulce, Malibu, and other areas that are threatened by wildfires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 02:24 AM

Location: Los Angeles, soon to be in Houston or Dallas (undecided on which one)
11 posts, read 40,193 times
Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
I guess that you haven't been to Inglewood in a while. After taking a red-eye flight from Honolulu, I'm currently in my recording studio in Inglewood watching the news coverage of the California wildfires and listening to Ky-Mani Marley's "Radio." My Lexus is parked in front and after the mobile detailer finishes washing it, I'll probably have lunch at the Red Lobster over on Century, pick up a few items at the most uncrowded Costco in L.A. County, and return to the studio for a nap on one of the fold-out futons.

Strangely, I haven't seen any gang members or graffiti in the part of Inglewood that I'm in -- apparently, most of them moved to Lancaster, Palmdale, Moreno Valley, Las Vegas and other areas over the past several years. However, if you don't speak Spanish and possess a permanent suntan, they're are other areas that might be preferable (like Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, etc); however, Gardena and Hawthorne are just as "scary" as Inglewood (especially at night). Right now, it's probably better to be in Inglewood than in Stevenson Ranch, Agua Dulce, Malibu, and other areas that are threatened by wildfires.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:24 AM

76 posts, read 357,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post

Very well said.It's obvious that most people commenting are unfamiliar with the area as a whole.Some parts of Inglewood are filled with hard working families and are actually pretty nice,and no your life is not in danger walking out of your home everyday.Hawthorne and Gardena are sooo much better than Inglewood. I don't think so!Maybe slightly on a good day.

Old 08-17-2008, 05:48 PM

18 posts, read 78,069 times
Just to counter some of this garbage about Inglewood. There are good & bad areas... just like everywhere else.

However, I, a 50-something white woman, have lived in Inglewood since 1961. The yards on my street are all green & well cared for. My neighbors are decent families. Most own their property. There is a graffiti problem on inviting blank walls along the alley, but usually the city paints them out the day they appear.

Occasionally, someone troublesome will move into an apartment building. We are under the flight path for LAX.

There are no junk cars in the yards. No fences walling off concrete parking areas at the fronts of houses or buildings.

I've never been broken into (knock wood). Never been accosted on the streets. I'm not afraid to walk my dogs after dark or in the early morning before work & I'm certainly not afraid to walk to the grocery store or the post office. I'm a little more cautious about the bank.

I am careful. It is in the midst of a very big city called Los Angeles.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:21 PM

2 posts, read 3,497 times
who has the best school systems in this area of Inglewood? I have a 12 yr old and 5 yr old?

Old 02-17-2009, 11:54 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,758,700 times
Gardena better than Inglewood? gardena is closer to compton and watts. compton and watts=worse run down suburbs of LA. Inglewood is average suburb of LA. not a nice suburb, but an okay one. the area still looks like it were an actual 60-70s suburb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles