U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2012, 03:19 AM

4 posts, read 14,944 times

Advertisements

I have recently moved to California. My wife and I have rented a home in Rancho Palos Verdes near Rue Langlois and Palos Verdes Drive West.
I go to West LA (starving artist) and the studios every day and my wife will be working at the John Wayne Airport.
I didn't realize the location is as remote as it is... (at least there is a Trader Joe's nearby...) and I am at a loss as to the easiest/quickest way to get to either location.
Any suggestions?
It's too late now to back out as I have already signed the lease for the next year.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Also - pros and cons? Things to do nearby?
Really need help on the driving thing though.
Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 11:28 AM

Default Please help me

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPVresident View Post
I have recently moved to California. My wife and I have rented a home in Rancho Palos Verdes near Rue Langlois and Palos Verdes Drive West.
I go to West LA (starving artist) and the studios every day and my wife will be working at the John Wayne Airport.
I didn't realize the location is as remote as it is... (at least there is a Trader Joe's nearby...) and I am at a loss as to the easiest/quickest way to get to either location.
Any suggestions?
It's too late now to back out as I have already signed the lease for the next year.
Thanks.
Help? Anyone?

Old 12-06-2012, 11:42 AM

5,620 posts, read 11,199,016 times
Well.

When your wife starts working at SNA, she isn't going to love your location. Just going to throw that out there. Not only is escaping from the Peninsula a PITA, but the 405 s/b, morning commute is awful. Figure about an hour from the 22 to SNA, maybe a tad less, plus any commute time from PRV to the 405/22. And its bumper to bumper traffic - and there really isn't any way around it.

As far as your commute, to the west side, really no better advice, I suppose you could take streets, I recently got out of my Santa Monica to LAX commute, which I took streets to avoid the 405.

Now that the negative is out of the way .... its kind of hard to answer "things to do near by" without knowing what you like do to....

Old 12-06-2012, 11:52 AM

7,221 posts, read 21,242,345 times
both of you guys will need to use the 405, just headed in opposite directions. that's not good. having said that, there is no ideal location between SNA and west LA. one or both of you will be forced into a miserable commute, there's no way around that. as for things to do in PV, cycling seems to be a pretty popular hobby if that interests you. nearby torrance and redondo also have some decent breaks if you are interested in surfing. other than that, you've go the views of the ocean and catalina. most people choose PV because of how remote it is compared to the rest of LA.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:57 PM

18,261 posts, read 21,692,299 times
Quote:
Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Those really are not easy commutes at all.

For your commute there is either the 405 (of course) or you could take the streets

PCH/Sepulveda all the way up into West LA (depending on which studios you are going to)
cut over to Jefferson (in Culver City) to Overland if you are going to Sony Pictures or Fox.

Your wife will just take the 405 all the way to John Wayne or she could do PCH into Newport Bch to the 55 fwy.

There really isn't a lot to do in PV. You will probably find more to do in Redondo Bch, Manhattan Bch, Torrance or Long Beach (Belmont Shore area)

Just be glad that they put that Trader Joe's in a few years ago because the options were limited and much farther away.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:36 PM

8,452 posts, read 14,163,777 times
Leave for everywhere at the crack of dawn, and get to your location. Then walk for exercise or find a gym nearby to join. Or, bring a laptop and hang in a Starbucks. Or sit in your car with paperwork, entertainments, or telephone people in time zones to the east, or do whatever those tasks are that you never have the time to do at home. Or if traffic is worse coming home, stay later until traffic clears a little, and exercise, shop, etc.

Maybe you or your wife can ask for a little flex time with your jobs.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Those really are not easy commutes at all.

For your commute there is either the 405 (of course) or you could take the streets

PCH/Sepulveda all the way up into West LA (depending on which studios you are going to)
cut over to Jefferson (in Culver City) to Overland if you are going to Sony Pictures or Fox.

Your wife will just take the 405 all the way to John Wayne or she could do PCH into Newport Bch to the 55 fwy.

There really isn't a lot to do in PV. You will probably find more to do in Redondo Bch, Manhattan Bch, Torrance or Long Beach (Belmont Shore area)

Just be glad that they put that Trader Joe's in a few years ago because the options were limited and much farther away.
Thanks for the honest answers. We both knew our commutes would suck as there really was no other house the size we needed (large) and less than 5 grand a month. We've relocated and have just too much stuff to go through or disgard yet until we decide if the west coast is the place for us.
Luckily my wife has off hours and is used to an hour commute anyway.
I was hoping to be able to hit LA a little quicker using side streets since I have auditions and classes at various hours during the day and weekends. Is half an hour realistic on off hours?
The good thing is we both really liked Redondo (but couldn't find a place large enough to rent there) and PV seems like a pretty cool place to chill. I
If anyone has any ideas as to which streets are easiest to get up to LA I'm all ears. (eyes)

Old 12-06-2012, 03:09 PM

18,261 posts, read 21,692,299 times
Quote:
Thanks for the honest answers. We both knew our commutes would suck as there really was no other house the size we needed (large) and less than 5 grand a month. We've relocated and have just too much stuff to go through or disgard yet until we decide if the west coast is the place for us.
Luckily my wife has off hours and is used to an hour commute anyway.
I was hoping to be able to hit LA a little quicker using side streets since I have auditions and classes at various hours during the day and weekends. Is half an hour realistic on off hours?
The good thing is we both really liked Redondo (but couldn't find a place large enough to rent there) and PV seems like a pretty cool place to chill. I
If anyone has any ideas as to which streets are easiest to get up to LA I'm all ears. (eyes)
The problem will be that it takes a while to get to the freeway or to a main street artery from where you are so give yourself an hour to get up into LA.

It will depend on where in LA you want to go:

Hawthorne Blvd can be taken all the way into LA/Hollywood (it turns into LaBrea around Inglewood) but the 110 would be faster for going into DTLA, Hollywood, etc.

Crenshaw is a good alternative to Hawthorne Blvd to get to the 405

PCH is the best route if going to the Westside or Santa Monica - PCH to Lincoln to go into Santa Monica

(there is also PCH cut over to Manhattan Ave/Highland Ave in Manhattan Bch which turns into Vista del Mar and take that pass the backside of LAX into Playa del Rey were it curves and turns into Culver and take Culver Blvd up to Sony or elsewhere in WLA)

Old 12-06-2012, 03:30 PM

Smile Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The problem will be that it takes a while to get to the freeway or to a main street artery from where you are so give yourself an hour to get up into LA.

It will depend on where in LA you want to go:

Hawthorne Blvd can be taken all the way into LA/Hollywood (it turns into LaBrea around Inglewood) but the 110 would be faster for going into DTLA, Hollywood, etc.

Crenshaw is a good alternative to Hawthorne Blvd to get to the 405

PCH is the best route if going to the Westside or Santa Monica - PCH to Lincoln to go into Santa Monica

(there is also PCH cut over to Manhattan Ave/Highland Ave in Manhattan Bch which turns into Vista del Mar and take that pass the backside of LAX into Playa del Rey were it curves and turns into Culver and take Culver Blvd up to Sony or elsewhere in WLA)
Thank you! This is just the sort of information I was looking for. I will try all these alternatives!

Old 12-06-2012, 05:40 PM

7,221 posts, read 21,242,345 times
i don't think you could get to anywhere in LA north of the 10 freeway in 30 minutes from PV unless you had a helicopter. it can take 15+ minutes just to reach the freeway from PV. side streets really aren't going to help you much either since you'll need to travel such a distance. i've found that unless your commute is under 5 miles, it's best to just take the freeway because traffic lights are almost always slower than bumper to bumper freeway traffic over great distances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles