Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 11:29 PM

140 posts, read 504,517 times

Advertisements

Can you ride a MOTORCYCLE in LA's WINTERS?

Is the Weather warm and mild enough, to where it's do-able...to ride a bike all year long as main transportation???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 11:30 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
What winter?

Old 12-11-2012, 11:33 PM

140 posts, read 504,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
What winter?
LoL..funny answer

But seriously, I'm new to the area. I mean I can google LA and read climate on wiki...but I want to hear from real people that live in the real city...LoL

So are the winters in LA that warm? ... To where I can ride a motorcycle year round...provided that I don't get killed or bike doesn't stall out in traffic?

Old 12-11-2012, 11:37 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJerseyBorn View Post
LoL..funny answer

But seriously, I'm new to the area. I mean I can google LA and read climate on wiki...but I want to hear from real people that live in the real city...LoL

So are the winters in LA that warm? ... To where I can ride a motorcycle year round...provided that I don't get killed or bike doesn't stall out in traffic?
The typical winter day in LA is in the 60's. The coldest mornings are usually in the 40's but that doesn't last long. We get about 15" of rain on average but it varies widely from year to year.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:45 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,599,484 times
Didn't you just do this in another CA forum?

I ride year round.

But I also ride in the rain, and appropriate gear, don't ride like an idiot, have a bike with ABS, etc.

I also have cars, and can't imagine only having a bike, for thinks like going to the market, picking up dry cleaning, take-out food, etc.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:13 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,599,484 times
Let me also add -

Riding year round, as your primary mode of transportation, in LA, is a high risk proposition. Our freeways are dangerous, drivers are aggressive, don't pay attention. Our freeways are very fast moving, and when they're not, often jammed with traffic. Bikes lane split (legally), typically between HOV and #1 lane, drivers often cut off bikes, regardless of if its an entry/exit point. I, personally, don't lane split, bike too wide, and I don't normally commute via bike, especially on the highway.

Either way - weather should be the least of your worries - how long is your commute? Which freeways are you taking (if any)? What times of day are you commuting?

Old 12-12-2012, 12:26 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
i commuted exclusively by vespa for 3 years in LA (extremely limited freeway commuting). just bundle up on the cold mornings and you'll be fine. every now and again the rain makes it difficult to get around, but luckily my wife had a car and I could also use the bus.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:45 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,034,947 times
I ride year round and I live in Georgia.

If you're afraid of the cold, then pony up and get some good winter gear or even a heated jacket.

I rode to work this week on the highway in 28ºF weather (using heated gloves and a heated jacket).

Old 02-21-2013, 01:20 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
I ride year round and I live in Georgia.

If you're afraid of the cold, then pony up and get some good winter gear or even a heated jacket.

I rode to work this week on the highway in 28ºF weather (using heated gloves and a heated jacket).
It doesn't even get that cold in the winter here in Los Angeles. I think a couple nights this winter we got below freezing but that was in the dead of night.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:59 PM

573 posts, read 1,361,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJerseyBorn View Post
Can you ride a MOTORCYCLE in LA's WINTERS?

Is the Weather warm and mild enough, to where it's do-able...to ride a bike all year long as main transportation???
Yes you can,

"Winter" weather in LA is from 85 - 65 degree daily highs, to 55 - 45 degree daily lows.

You can ride it year long if you wish, except its pretty dangerous when it rains in winter.

Its great transportation imo for LA since spring, summer, and fall all have hot weather. And for summer pretty warm nights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles