U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2012, 08:54 PM

6 posts, read 12,662 times

Advertisements

I am moving to LA in January for a new job. Friends recommended Los Feliz/Silver Lake. Being from Manhattan, I hope I can pay less than my current rent ($2200 for a studio!). Safety and cleanness are my primary concerns and of course, the commute should not be longer than 30 mins.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 02:42 AM

79 posts, read 164,786 times
You could always live in Downtown Los Angeles, though that might be a little more expensive...

Old 12-21-2012, 09:26 AM

4,427 posts, read 9,658,611 times
$2200/mo is a townhome or smaller SFR in Los Feliz/SL or at least a bungalow.

Studios in those areas run $900-1600 depending on what you are looking at.

DTLA is fine too(I live there).

Studios here in DTLA run $1350-skys the limit and depends what you are looking for.

$2200 could get you a fairly large loft...in the 1200 sq ft range. $1500-1800/mo can get you one in the 750-900 sq ft range.

Financial district and South Park are the newer cleaner parts. Spring and Main St are a bit more lively but also lots of homeless and hustlers.

This is pretty typical of the Spring and Main St buildings:

Corner Unit City View Loft in Down Town LA Historic Core

While this one is a South Park place:

Spacious 1b1b/ Newly Renovated and New Low Price/ Move In TODAY!

The distance is less than a mile and its pretty easy to walk or very short cab ride(but really everyone who lives here walks) between the areas.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:12 AM

10,087 posts, read 14,346,402 times
DTLA and Los Feliz are good choices - one other suggestion is Hollywood. It is only a 15 minute ride on the Red Line into downtown, there are two stations (Hollywood / Vine and Hollywood / Highland) in Central Hollywood, which is very walkable and transit-friendly. Lots of stuff to do here too (IMO more than Los Feliz). My wife works in DTLA and takes the Red Line in about 2 times a week (has to drive due to large files most days).

Old 12-21-2012, 10:15 AM

6 posts, read 12,662 times
I used westsiderentals and it doesn't seem to have many options in Los Feliz/Silver Lake since i have 2 cats and want to have a car.
Is Echo Park a good place to live, too? I can try Miracle Mile/the Grove, but it seems to be much more expensive and the commute seems to be longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
$2200/mo is a townhome or smaller SFR in Los Feliz/SL or at least a bungalow.

Studios in those areas run $900-1600 depending on what you are looking at.

DTLA is fine too(I live there).

Studios here in DTLA run $1350-skys the limit and depends what you are looking for.

$2200 could get you a fairly large loft...in the 1200 sq ft range. $1500-1800/mo can get you one in the 750-900 sq ft range.

Financial district and South Park are the newer cleaner parts. Spring and Main St are a bit more lively but also lots of homeless and hustlers.

This is pretty typical of the Spring and Main St buildings:

Corner Unit City View Loft in Down Town LA Historic Core

While this one is a South Park place:

Spacious 1b1b/ Newly Renovated and New Low Price/ Move In TODAY!

The distance is less than a mile and its pretty easy to walk or very short cab ride(but really everyone who lives here walks) between the areas.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:25 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,775,945 times
Living in Downtown would be a great option for you, and $1,500-1,600 is a reasonable range to rent a nice 1 bedroom (as shown in that craigslist post). You'll be walking distance to work and restaurants/bars.

On a side note, I love when these threads involve people coming from NYC because their expected rent range is always realistic, since they're used to paying much more for much less.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:41 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,631,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
Living in Downtown would be a great option for you, and $1,500-1,600 is a reasonable range to rent a nice 1 bedroom (as shown in that craigslist post). You'll be walking distance to work and restaurants/bars.

On a side note, I love when these threads involve people coming from NYC because their expected rent range is always realistic, since they're used to paying much more for much less.
Right? I'm sitting here thinking 2200 for a studio? You can find some AMAZING places in LA in nice cities for that kind of change.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:46 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,396,490 times
Atwater Village is just east (a few blocks from) Los Feliz and it a nice area. We lived there for years and had 3 cats. Right off Los Feliz Blvd a couple of blocks from the I-5. We lived in the Los Feliz Village apts for 16 years. Covered parking, pool, sauna, hot tub, tennis. Decent management too.

Los Angeles California Apartments - Home - Los Feliz Village

Old 12-30-2012, 10:10 AM

236 posts, read 297,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornellbobo View Post
I am moving to LA in January for a new job. Friends recommended Los Feliz/Silver Lake. Being from Manhattan, I hope I can pay less than my current rent ($2200 for a studio!). Safety and cleanness are my primary concerns and of course, the commute should not be longer than 30 mins.
If you can afford, say $2000 a month, you'll have a good pick of properties to choose from. Downtown is coming up, big-time..but skid row is still very close by. There is some nightlife down there now..but the good stuff is still to be found elsewhere. It's not full grown yet. Needs time. Los Feliz/Silverlake is a very good choice. Hollywood is overpriced for what you get. I'd even consider the north hollywood or studio city areas, as it's a straight shot down the 101 freeway to downtown. It will take 30 mins to drive downtown during rush hour. I don't know how familiar you are with L.A.(I grew up in Queens myself), but things are very spread out. Don't think of DT as L.A.'s version of manhattan.

There IS no L.A. version of manhattan.

Just try to find the sweet spot between proximity to work, and just getting around without insane travel time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles