Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 06:49 PM

829 posts, read 2,955,651 times

Advertisements

i have a problem with longing for my growing up yrs in the 90s...before you tell me to go to the mental health side, bare with me...

i grew up in the 90s and spent some happy times in socal...orange county/la county...what do you find are the main differences from the 90s to now? especially from those who may have grown up in the 90s.

funny thing was me growing up i had a lot of rough times...but i will save that for the mental health forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 07:04 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,852,365 times
'90s = Tagging.

Lots of tagging.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:09 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,715,308 times
Oh for the days of "Encino Man"

Encino Man Theatrical Trailer - YouTube

and Clueless...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHDcD_xhwAo

Old 12-22-2012, 08:08 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,307,390 times
90s were much simpler. People were happier, things were more organic. The economy was booming and seemed like it would never burst. Employment was high, getting a job was as easy as walking down the street. The music was good. People weren't glued to their cells or devices like they are now. You had to actually go outside to interact and meet people. The world was a friendly place, the Soviet Union was dismantled and this was before Al Qaeda and such.

IN LA much less traffic. Friendlier people. Less stress. More downtime. Kids had a lot more fun back then, less rules and restrictions.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:08 PM

5,982 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
90s were much simpler. People were happier, things were more organic. The economy was booming and seemed like it would never burst. Employment was high, getting a job was as easy as walking down the street. The music was good. People weren't glued to their cells or devices like they are now. You had to actually go outside to interact and meet people. The world was a friendly place, the Soviet Union was dismantled and this was before Al Qaeda and such.

IN LA much less traffic. Friendlier people. Less stress. More downtime. Kids had a lot more fun back then, less rules and restrictions.
I would seriously bet 100 million dollars that someone in the 90s were saying the EXACT same thing about the 70s.

Riots. OJ trial. Northridge earthquake. Downsizing and closing of defense contracts/industries. (collapse of SU was actually bad for California). Gangsta rap. Video games (kids glued to Nintendo). Internationally, the 90s were quiet internationally, but the then former Soviet Union was collapsing in the 90s and live was miserable for them, before the finally pulled themselves out of that. Al Qaeda was around they just haven't yet pulled off a MAJOR attack yet. Not sure what you mean by organic. Air quality/smog was worse then. Everyone agrees with that.

Careful about rose collared glasses.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:49 PM

217 posts, read 581,397 times
The 90s were not as good as you might think unless you were 12 years old during (name the year) and mom and dad took care of everything. I myself think the 80s were way better as far as that goes, I considered the 90s as the end of the "good times"( for the USA). Looking back I would love to go back to 1994 and spend one more night at my regular bar with all my buddies playing one more round of darts while the pitchers of cheap beer kept comming! But as I write this there are some guys in thier early 20s doing the same thing right now that they will look back with fond memories about how good it was for them back in late 2012!? Enjoy where you are in life cause it goes quick and may be quicker than you planned!

Old 12-22-2012, 11:53 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,115,507 times
Not sure if fireworks or gunshots..

Don't play in the front..

Gang tags or not, the taggers back then were better than the ones now. At least they put effort..

Old 12-22-2012, 11:56 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,115,507 times
Hip hop's golden age were in the 90's aswell. East and West were on top of their game at the time..

Old 12-23-2012, 12:07 AM

6,802 posts, read 6,715,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I would seriously bet 100 million dollars that someone in the 90s were saying the EXACT same thing about the 70s.

Riots. OJ trial. Northridge earthquake. Downsizing and closing of defense contracts/industries. (collapse of SU was actually bad for California). Gangsta rap. Video games (kids glued to Nintendo). Internationally, the 90s were quiet internationally, but the then former Soviet Union was collapsing in the 90s and live was miserable for them, before the finally pulled themselves out of that. Al Qaeda was around they just haven't yet pulled off a MAJOR attack yet. Not sure what you mean by organic. Air quality/smog was worse then. Everyone agrees with that.

Careful about rose collared glasses.
Don't forget about Rodney King.

Old 12-23-2012, 12:16 AM

341 posts, read 708,640 times
Yeah. I loved the 90s. The 80s weren't so bad either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles