Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2012, 02:44 AM

3 posts, read 4,954 times

Advertisements

We currently live in Long Beach - and while we love it, my spouse will be starting a job in Venice. I work in Hawthorne; and we both have very flexible hours (so we can avoid peak traffic times). Now that we're both working sorta in the same area, we're wanting to reduce our commute time and live near work. We do not have any children (plan is after 3 years).

Our preference is to buy a home (2-3 br, 1-2 ba; price range is up to 650k) in a neighborhood that's safe, has decent school options (whether charter or public), is safe, within 30 minutes driving to Hawthorne and Venice for work, and is pleasant to walk around. We live in Belmont Heights right now and absolutely love being able to walk to 2nd street in Belmont Shores just for a stroll (even though we rarely walk inside any of the shops). Ideal situation would be if we can find something similar.

We find Westchester pleasant, though it may be too quiet as the few times I've gone there in the evenings, I have NEVER seen anyone walking the dog, running, etc. Santa Monica seems ideal - but it's too expensive.

Suggestions for areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 09:33 AM

1,800 posts, read 3,910,715 times
El Segundo and Westchester are the best options.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:19 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
the only place similar to belmont shore on westside is main st in santa monica, but that is WAY more expensive than the LBC. $650k is unfortunately on the low side for any of the 'interesting' areas anywhere near your work locations. having said that, if you don't mind a boring area (similar to westchester) but with good schools, the holy glen/del aire neighborhoods just south of LAX may be an option. this way you're both fairly close to work and the beach. culver city also may be an option, but you'll probably only find fixers that are next to the freeway in your price range. if you don't mind sharing walls, that would probably open up a lot more options for you. there were some nice townhomes in el segundo that my wife and i looked at last year before buying elsewhere.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:54 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,635,067 times
I'd say move to Culver City, it has a great school system, not LAUSD. I mentor(ed) a few kids from there and they have an amazing system. You can also do Cheviot Hills or Mar Vista.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:33 AM

3 posts, read 4,954 times
Thanks for the tips guys! Really appreciate it.

Just checked out Holly Glen area in Hawthorne today, and it seemed quite nice. Close to everything, including work, well lit, and seemed diverse where we actually saw young couples (we saw majority of old folks in Westchester). Is anyone familiar with Holly Glen area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles