Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 08:54 PM

72 posts, read 183,647 times

Advertisements

In my opinion, it's not the cities, but the people in those cities.

LA and NY bring out the most hatred of any cities I've seen. I'm from the southeast, so LA doesn't really come up much in conversation. For many people it's a 'far away land', and the TMZ type stuff doesn't draw them in or turn them off. They just think it's just pure glamor.

NYC, in the east, is the place that many people hate. New Yorkers are so cocky about living in NYC, that people naturally start to hate the place, or anyone from there.

Since I've grown up and traveled, I noticed that many feel the same about LA. There is just this cockiness that may believe Angelenos have that makes people upset.

Let's be honest, no one wants anyone to look down on them and where they call home.

Over the past few years, I noticed a not so quiet rivalry between New Yorkers and Angelenos. They SAY there is not a rivalry, but ... whatever. lol. It's like they can't talk about one without talking up/down the other. Not saying everyone from those cities are that way, but I've heard it far too often to believe otherwise, at this point.

The reality is, both cities have things that the other does not have. NYC is considered to be amongst the very top cities in the world, but it does not have LA's weather. I can only imagine how bad they'd be if they had LA's weather, lol.

At the end of the day, the differences, for me, are negligible. I'm going to enjoy the hell out of my time in both cities. Period.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:59 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,713,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
I'm partially serious.

When it comes to PT, L.A. is the butt of the joke.

The thing is, I wan't LA to get the respect it deserves. And that means the media taking some control.
It's all relative. You could be from Fresno. At least we can make fun of Bakersfield.

"Fresno" 1986 mini series "Tastes Like Fresno" opening - YouTube

Old 12-27-2012, 09:06 PM

72 posts, read 183,647 times
...and I will also add that, LA - like NYC- is one of those places that you can't say you're from without people thinking you're bragging.

For example:

Wisconsite: Hello, there. My name is Ted. I'm from Wisconsin - where are you from?

Angeleno: I'm from LA.

Wisconsonite: . o O(This smug, sob....) Oh, really? What's it like out there?

Angeleno: It's great. The weather is beautiful, and there are just too many things to do!

Wisconsonite: . o O( )

- Fin.

Seriously, I've seen this thought bubbles and all.

Saying you're from LA/NY is like someone asking you where you go to college and you say Harvard, Yale, or Princeton. People immediately assume you think you're better than them.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:17 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,635,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillion View Post
...and I will also add that, LA - like NYC- is one of those places that you can't say you're from without people thinking you're bragging. from LA/NY is like someone asking you where you go to college and you say Harvard, Yale, or Princeton. People immediately assume you think you're better than them.

So true, coincidentally, I'm from Wisconsin originally and when I go home people act that way towards me. I hate to even bring up the fact that I live in LA. People project there insecurities on you. Good point!

Old 12-27-2012, 11:17 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,839,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taydigga View Post
So true, coincidentally, I'm from Wisconsin originally and when I go home people act that way towards me.
Used to go to Minnesota every summer. Never failed to get the two mandatory questions, when CA was mentioned:

1) Do you surf?

2) Got any weed?

Old 12-28-2012, 01:00 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,635,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Used to go to Minnesota every summer. Never failed to get the two mandatory questions, when CA was mentioned:

1) Do you surf?

2) Got any weed?

Haha! Generally, the midwest loves Cali people, they fall for the allure but you have those that love to hate.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:04 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,625,585 times
I am not a native Angeleno but I LOVE LA. I wish this was my hometown.

Let the haterade rain cus we have umbrellas and the sun will shine again tomorrow when they leave.

Los Angeles is the most vibrant, energetic and eclectic city in the whole darn world. Hands down. I've been to France, NYC, Miami, Chicago, Austin, Houston, Seattle, Boston, DC, Prague, Chile, Mexico and Buenos Aires....nothing compares. The closest I've seen to the same type of energy is Barcelona, Spain.

Now the things I do dislike about LA are:

Like everyone else in LA, I hate the wannabe celebs, comedians and musicians. They are extremely annoying and have a ton of baggage they came with from their hometown. They think that they have to "act LA" and that includes all the snobbery, the mocking, the annoying sarcasm. How on earth can they stand even themselves?

I also cannot stand the people that think they're so creative and act aloof as though they're such eclectic and eccentric people above the normal mundane world of us mortals. I see these types all the time at the Whole Foods in Sherman Oaks.

There is a just a section associated with the industry here that's over the top annoying. They think they call the shots on what's hip, they're not trendsetters they're trend followers, they are so f-ing trendy they unable to have an original thought. And if they do and break out of that mold they end up being annoying hipsters.

The yipsters (yuppie hipsters), cool nerds, pretty much all the types you see in faux-indie rom-coms are in spades in West LA, Silverlake, Sherman Oaks and Studio City. I'd rather deal with the shallow types in Beverly Hills than the latter.

These people cannot do anything without it first being done by someone else. Every piece of art or film or music they do is the same as the next, it's landscape art with a Jeff Buckley song playing in the background. If it's rap they insert into their art medium it's usually an old song that's more mocking of the genre than actually embracing it.

I used to hang out with a bunch of comedian/actors when I arrived. I am glad I don't anymore. They were so ridiculous. Their comedy sucked beyond belief yet they thought they were the next big stars. They played small venues and made a decent living out of it, yet all they did was film their little shorts, showcase them on some events their friends hosted. It was usually bad carbon copies of stuff you would see on SNL or bad youtube comedy. All in all, they sucked, yet were getting praise and applause from similar folk which reinforced their egos. It was a cycle of delusion.

That's one bad side to LA; it doesn't attract the best of the best like NYC, DC or even Chicago. It attracts the worst of the worst, and it wouldn't be so hard to break into the industry if it wasn't for the long million man line of dumb delusional hopefuls. It literally becomes a lottery of who gets chosen rather than a real search for top talent.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:07 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,713,435 times

Randy Newman- I Iove L.A. - YouTube

Old 12-28-2012, 01:07 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
I love Los Angeles. I criticize it alot, but that's because i love it. I want it to be better. Not be another city, but beat them at their own game. That way New Yorkers can't talk **** no more.
New Yorkers don't really care about L.A, unless if theres a baseball game against the Dodgers.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:21 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
I don't pay too much attention to those that hate what I love. Someone elses thoughts or ideas will not sway what I know to be true. The LA area and city are amazing and so much fun to hang around. I love visiting and we do visit often. We will be driving down this Saturday infact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles