Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 02:23 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,628,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
New Yorkers don't really care about L.A, unless if theres a baseball game against the Dodgers.
I usually run into New Yorkers that love LA, but there are a few that come here and complain all day every day about it. In general I see more Bostonians or SF'ers hating on LA.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:22 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,334,851 times
I was a LA hater for the longest time, but only because of public perception. I think Los Angeles is a very misunderstood city. And I think all the hate it gets come from outsiders, like people who have never been to LA or people that were there a long time ago.

I myself thought LA was this spread out city (which it is) where getting by without a car was so impossible, like it lacked any public transportation at all. You won't believe how many people, even with the Expo line and everything else opening, say that it would be a death sentence to live without a car in LA. And that the Hollywood industry was a big part of the city and people were so fake, etc.

Again, before visiting that's all I had to go on. And seeing all negative things about LA on boards like this one didn't help either. But I did visit, and I am preparing for my move to LA right now. I ended up really liking LA.

Some people asked about my LA trip, and some didn't even know LA has a subway. I told them I went all over, and they were asking me how.

LA is just one of those cities you really have to visit to get a grasp on what it is. It is very unique.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:59 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,600,683 times
I want to add another group to the mix that dislike LA and this is surprising: the native Angelenos who are working class and cannot really afford to enjoy LA as much. I work with some of them and they tend to just act like LA is like any other town. They're not fazed by the mountains, never leave their neighborhoods, aren't impressed by going out and exploring. Their lives are work and their kids or whatnot, and it's understandable.

They always flip out when I tell them about the areas I visisted because they've never been there or never leave their little area. One girl told me I've been more places than her in six months than she has in 28 years.

They don't hate LA but they don't care for it or appreciate it as much. It's understandable since LA really hasn't given anything back to them except a tough cost of living.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
I want to add another group to the mix that dislike LA and this is surprising: the native Angelenos who are working class and cannot really afford to enjoy LA as much. I work with some of them and they tend to just act like LA is like any other town. They're not fazed by the mountains, never leave their neighborhoods, aren't impressed by going out and exploring. Their lives are work and their kids or whatnot, and it's understandable.

They always flip out when I tell them about the areas I visisted because they've never been there or never leave their little area. One girl told me I've been more places than her in six months than she has in 28 years.

They don't hate LA but they don't care for it or appreciate it as much. It's understandable since LA really hasn't given anything back to them except a tough cost of living.
True, true. Yeah I know a lot of them. One chick at my job didn't even know what 3rd St. Promenade was...I was like you've been here your whole life and never heard of it? But the working class have that lifestyle, work, come home, kids (or tv) then sleep and same thing next day. These people have no clue as to what this jewel is. LA is what one makes it IMO...

Old 12-28-2012, 06:51 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,636,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillion View Post
...and I will also add that, LA - like NYC- is one of those places that you can't say you're from without people thinking you're bragging.

For example:

Wisconsite: Hello, there. My name is Ted. I'm from Wisconsin - where are you from?

Angeleno: I'm from LA.

Wisconsonite: . o O(This smug, sob....) Oh, really? What's it like out there?

Angeleno: It's great. The weather is beautiful, and there are just too many things to do!

Wisconsonite: . o O( )

- Fin.

Seriously, I've seen this thought bubbles and all.

Saying you're from LA/NY is like someone asking you where you go to college and you say Harvard, Yale, or Princeton. People immediately assume you think you're better than them.

Amen! You can tell they think "oh, one of those elitist jerks..." and they take offense at any comment.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:15 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,771,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taydigga View Post
True, true. Yeah I know a lot of them. One chick at my job didn't even know what 3rd St. Promenade was...I was like you've been here your whole life and never heard of it? But the working class have that lifestyle, work, come home, kids (or tv) then sleep and same thing next day. These people have no clue as to what this jewel is. LA is what one makes it IMO...
Many people are just getting by month to month, and have little or no money left over to do much more than work and sleep. L.A. is a deep grind for many more than popular perception would allow. Thing is, those people adapt and appreciate what they do have, and get together and celebrate that (i.e. block parties, sports, whatever is fun outside, due to so many days of great weather). L.A. knows how to party - it just doesn't need to do it in highrises or fancy hotels/clubs. Backyards on weekends will do just fine. Beach bonfires, too, a la Huntington.

It's also seen as a bit elitist to brag about all the places you go to when saying such to an audience that doesn't have that kind of luxury, be it time, money, a car, no kids, few responsibilities, no debt, etc. What is normal on the Westside for this sort of conversation can be seen as irritating braggadocio in working class neighborhoods. So even if you do get around, you might want to keep it down a bit, depending on where you are and who you're talking to.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:35 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,600,683 times
Quote:
It's also seen as a bit elitist to brag about all the places you go to when saying such to an audience that doesn't have that kind of luxury, be it time, money, a car, no kids, few responsibilities, no debt, etc. What is normal on the Westside for this sort of conversation can be seen as irritating braggadocio in working class neighborhoods. So even if you do get around, you might want to keep it down a bit, depending on where you are and who you're talking to.
This explains a lot! Some of the people I work with who clearly fit the description you laid out probably think I am some sort of obnoxious braggart for telling them about all the spots I went to. But I just get excited and I want to tell people about what kind of a jewel in the rough this city is.

All they tend to do is talk about house parties or their kids or sports, cars, etc. And they're so young too! I am older than all of them and go out more.

I kind of got the impression that it was coming off as bragging but at the same time, it's normal where I came from to relate stories about what one did during the weekend.

One person thought I was rich because I went to Santa Barbara for the weekend? I was like what? It's only two hours away.

I am researcher for a clinic. Most of the upper level staff are from Texas and the people we hired to do the filing, production and maintenance commute all the way from East LA, Compton and Whittier. It took me a while to realize that being working poor in LA really means being working poor, because in Houston you have to be really destitute to live month to month; that work, go home, sleep, work and repeat life.

I tried to be friends and relate but it's just little things that I noticed they thought were too "bougie" like eating Vegan food, drinking coconut water or wanting to go skiing. Stuff I thought was all normal.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Many people are just getting by month to month, and have little or no money left over to do much more than work and sleep. L.A. is a deep grind for many more than popular perception would allow. Thing is, those people adapt and appreciate what they do have, and get together and celebrate that (i.e. block parties, sports, whatever is fun outside, due to so many days of great weather). L.A. knows how to party - it just doesn't need to do it in highrises or fancy hotels/clubs. Backyards on weekends will do just fine. Beach bonfires, too, a la Huntington.

These types I get, that's how I grew up, will never forget that but, that's no excuse for not knowing your city. Some of these types spend their money and go to places that aren't free (Vegas). I'm not talking about luxury places, I'm talking about the beach, places where you can just walk around and etc., I'm all about the working man's cause but it's like one of my favorite rapper's said in the song Paris and Tokyo "get out the hood" open your mind up and learn something. Don't get me wrong, it goes both ways, I married into a family that has money, well my wife's mom's side (her dad grew up hood but you wouldn't know it now, LOL) and they are the typical east coast, "He went to Harvard so you know he's brilliant types..." and every now and then I catch my wife talking like that and I put her on. I tell her to know her audience, not everybody she meets is going to appreciate the excitement she has for having been to Paris and Rome and etc.,. Keep it on the low, otherwise she'll come off bourgeosie even if it's just her being excited. So I hear ya bigdumbg, I'm just all about balance. I think both sides of the track can learn a little from each other.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
This explains a lot! Some of the people I work with who clearly fit the description you laid out probably think I am some sort of obnoxious braggart for telling them about all the spots I went to. But I just get excited and I want to tell people about what kind of a jewel in the rough this city is.

All they tend to do is talk about house parties or their kids or sports, cars, etc. And they're so young too! I am older than all of them and go out more.

I kind of got the impression that it was coming off as bragging but at the same time, it's normal where I came from to relate stories about what one did during the weekend.

One person thought I was rich because I went to Santa Barbara for the weekend? I was like what? It's only two hours away.

I am researcher for a clinic. Most of the upper level staff are from Texas and the people we hired to do the filing, production and maintenance commute all the way from East LA, Compton and Whittier. It took me a while to realize that being working poor in LA really means being working poor, because in Houston you have to be really destitute to live month to month; that work, go home, sleep, work and repeat life.

I tried to be friends and relate but it's just little things that I noticed they thought were too "bougie" like eating Vegan food, drinking coconut water or wanting to go skiing. Stuff I thought was all normal.
Yeah, as a person that grew up hood. I understand their mentality, I once too thought some of that stuff was "bougie" but I always felt like I'd try it. Sometimes it's a defense mechanism though. "oh you go skiing...that's white people stuff" I've actually never been skiing but I know it's not about black or white it's economics. It is normal for people with paper. I still don't have a desire to go but I don't hate on it anymore. Some of those people will project on you their own insecurities as well as you may project on them what you see as "normal". Having lived both sides now, I see that all things can be appreciated if one lets themselves. But very few people are "free" most people are slaves to their races, economical background (or current standing) and etc., never really venturing out and never seeing an opposing view. That's why so many people say, "that's so ghetto..." and on the flip so many people think being able to go to Harvard, book a trip to europe and eating crepes is white..." both are ignorant mindsets that could be alleviated with a little more experience with an opposite lifestyle. That's why rural areas tend to be more xenophobic and etc., while cities tend to be more accepting...

Old 12-29-2012, 08:13 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,767,938 times
RE: the LA/NY rivalry perception. I wonder if LA people go to the NY forum to ask "what parts of NY are most like LA?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles