Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2012, 03:40 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cy_flembeck View Post
I describe LA as a city with an amazing upside and an equally problematic downside.

Your overall happiness if you live here depends on which end of the spectrum you focus on.
See? It's this think "only happy thoughts" or "what you dwell about you bring about" crap that got not only LA, but the entire state of California in the financial mess it's in now.

It does NOT matter what you focus on or do. You can be a chemical engineer with super credentials, but if you move to LA with NO JOB, you will be a dishwasher at the Cheescake Factory.

There's a reason why California dominates the nation in religious cults. So many lost and unhappy people looking for guidance and a "savior" rather than heading the hell outta dodge.

Last edited by marilyn220; 12-30-2012 at 03:53 PM..

Old 12-30-2012, 03:42 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,417,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
I don't think you'll ever see any type of tribute to L.A. like these:

New York - Alicia Keys "Empire State of Mind" [OFFICIAL VIDEO] - YouTube

"Empire State of Mind" Jay Z | Alicia Keys [OFFICIAL VIDEO] - YouTube

Becaue L.A. hasn't reached that legendary status yet.
Alicia Keys is FROM New York. Anyone can pay tribute to their city. That song sucks btw.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:45 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,115,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Alicia Keys is FROM New York. Anyone can pay tribute to their city. That song sucks btw.
Ya, she's from NY and they did an amazing job of making NY look amazing. Like the most amazing place you could ever see.

No one has done that for today's L.A. People still act like it's the 90s.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:47 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,715,308 times
Quote:
I don't think you'll ever see any type of tribute to L.A. like these:

Becaue L.A. hasn't reached that legendary status yet.
Like the song.

People tend to sing about California though, not LA specifically.

LL Cool J - Going Back To Cali - YouTube

Katy Perry - California Gurls ft. Snoop (Lyric Video) - YouTube

California is legendary in it's own right. Hollywood is legendary and part of that California legend.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:54 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,115,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
Like the song.

People tend to sing about California though, not LA specifically.

LL Cool J - Going Back To Cali - YouTube

Katy Perry - California Gurls ft. Snoop (Lyric Video) - YouTube

California is legendary in it's own right. Hollywood is legendary and part of that California legend.
Ya, but I think the main focus should be L.A..

Cali as a whole is just too different. San Francisco and L.A. don't get along.

Overall, L.A. is has the most potential to achieve that legendary status over the rest of California.

And as for Hollywood, I'd rather focus on the people that live there, in downtown, in East L.A., Atwater, etc than the rich yuppies and beverley hill types that everyone thinks represents L.A..

Hell no..

I can't associate with California girls. It's too fake.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:54 PM

5,982 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
There are no decent paying jobs in Los Angeles, unless you know someone.

Thousands of civil service jobs have been shed throughout the city of LA, while many still have theirs in NYC. No NYS or NYC civil service worker has been put on mandatory furloughs, then after several months of this getting laid off with no help from the union.

NYC may have bled jobs in the 70s, but it's been doing pretty good since the late 80s onward. Also, there are thousands of temp positions available in NYC which you can't really get in LA.

There is no money in LA. It's employment situation was doing bad way before the 2008 recession hit. Trust me. I know.
Then one has to get out there and get to know people. Personally that has worked out better for me no matter where I have lived, than going into an application and interview blindly. The latter method to me always seemed like playing the lottery.

I am basically an indendent contractor field technician working for a company that collects data on traffic patterns, and I started this job only a month and a half after I quit the crappy sales job I had lined up when I first moved here. Now, thanks to Prop 30 community colleges are hiring a little bit more, a year after I moved here (last couple years it was basically zilch) and I am teaching at least one course this coming February (I have five years experience teaching at that level - and it pays twice as much for the same teaching work I was doing in Illinois), in addition to my current job, where I can pretty much choose my own hours.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:58 PM

I can't believe we're arguing if L.A. has enough songs written about it. My lord!

The Notorious B.I.G. - Going Back To Cali 2010 - Video Dailymotion

Biggie wasn't even from here and he wrote a song about L.A.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:03 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,715,308 times
Quote:
Ya, but I think the main focus should be L.A..

Cali as a whole is just too different. San Francisco and L.A. don't get along.

Overall, L.A. is has the most potential to achieve that legendary status over the rest of California.

And as for Hollywood, I'd rather focus on the people that live there, in downtown, in East L.A., Atwater, etc than the rich yuppies and beverley hill types that everyone thinks represents L.A..

Hell no..

I can't associate with California girls. It's too fake.
How about the original California Girls?

The Beach Boys - California Girls - YouTube

I getcha. Just say no to Paris Hilton.

There are real people everywhere, don't believe the hype.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:04 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Then one has to get out there and get to know people. Personally that has worked out better for me no matter where I have lived, than going into an application and interview blindly. The latter method to me always seemed like playing the lottery.
Your right, but I at least thought that I could work temp until I found something permanent. Wrong. The temp industry no way compared to how it was in NYC. Also, if you work temp in LA, companies rarely hire you. There's a stigma against it. Why? I have no idea as I thought temping would be an "understood" way of life for such a transient and entertainment driven town.

Quote:
I am basically an indendent contractor field technician working for a company that collects data on traffic patterns, and I started this job only a month and a half after I quit the crappy sales job I had lined up when I first moved here. Now, thanks to Prop 30 community colleges are hiring a little bit more, a year after I moved here (last couple years it was basically zilch) and I am teaching at least one course this coming February (I have five years experience teaching at that level - and it pays twice as much for the same teaching work I was doing in Illinois), in addition to my current job, where I can pretty much choose my own hours.
I am very happy your working and I plan on doing the independent contract route as well. I really lucked out with my current job, because it was a hook up through friends. I still had to know the job though, but I don't plan on being here long. I'm trying to get some things together, so I never have to deal with being at the mercy of an employer ever again.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:10 PM

Do you really want to compare QOL between NYC and LA? LA is no bargain, but its noticeably less expensive. There's a NYer posting here who says he pays $2200 a month for a studio. A STU-DI-O. Then you have all the issues with the trash, the rodents, the horrible weather, and a subway system that apparently also serves as a trash recepticale. Los Angeles can be tough, but no city gives you less bang for your buck than New York, no offense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles