Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 07:48 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,395 posts, read 13,376,337 times

Advertisements

The whole thing that strikes me funny about this whole debate is that he is actually talking up Miami as this urban city in line with NYC, Philly, etc. and how it's so superior to LA. Car-free and I had a choice between the two? LA anyday of the week, because it's the better choice.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:07 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,010,988 times
You're nearly 4000 miles away in Miami, FL, what does LA even matter to you? I could understand if you were stuck living in LA and were sick of the place. And yes, people do like to drive in LA. Have you ever driven on their amazing freeways? I have and it's awesome. I love exploring LA by car. I have to stand all day at my lousy job, and it feels good to sprawl out in the bench seat of my Grand Marquis. Let that V8 do the walking for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKing View Post
Here is some education for you

Urban = downtown = walkability, no vehicle necessary = people living in a central gathering where everything is at your fingertips.

suburban is the neighborhoods just outside of downtown = meaning you have to use a CAR in order to get around, meaning more than likely you live in a single family home and drive around everywhere

Rural = a small town not located anywhere near the "city".

People care more in Los Angeles for living in a suburban setting - ex: single family home/driving car, than an URBAN setting - ex: living in a condo downtown/ not having to drive a car. When you think of CITY what you should be thinking is the core of the city (downtown) and that should be the most vibrant, and active place with the highest population density.

The fact is, people don't go to LA for the actual downtown most of the time when they go to LA they are going to visit the METRO. When was the last time you know someone who went to NYC to visit the metro ? People go to NYC to get it's URBAN setting, when people go to LA they go to see it's densely populated SUBURBS, do you see the difference?

The people in LA value living more of a suburban style than an urban style, therefore it isn't LA you a really even getting, when people think LA they think they are getting the "city" when realistically all they are getting is a suburban setting outside of a CITY. And when people care more about it's surrounding suburbs more than the actual urban center point, that right there tells you the main focus isn't on the cities urban center.

Los Angeles is suburban city on steroids. San diego is another classic example of a suburban city, where everyone is living in single family homes, and needs a car to get around almost everywhere, and the main focus isn't on the downtown. There are plenty of suburban cities, San Diego, Phoenix, Tucson. Than there are urban cities : Miami, CHICAGO, NYC , San Francisco, Philly. I hope that finally sunk in.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:42 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,844,355 times
Quote:
Last time I checked Little Havana (Density 21,815/sq miles) is not as densely populated as downtown Miami ( Density 27,487/sq mile)

Little Havana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Downtown Miami - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I can't take any of what you say as credible until you get your facts straight.

And just to remind you LA's downtown is a density of 8,580/sq mi. meanwhile Koreatown = 42,609/sq mi

That is really kind of scary, the 2nd largest "city" in America it's OWN downtown urban center is not it's own most populated region..
Nope, this isn't the least bit surprising. Downtown LA and other downtowns have lots of non-residential uses--office buildings, stores, sports stadiums, hotels etc. So their residential densities are relatively low. The residential neighborhoods around the San Francisco Financial District have higher residential densities than the Financial District itself. Koreatown is part of a high density central area in Los Angeles.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:45 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,386,595 times
Quote:
You got that right ! People for some reason on this forum, especially the people of Los Angeles, tend to believe that just because an area is densely populated it equals to URBAN. People are so confused here I think it is too funny. I brought this up in another thread, Los Angeles is DENSE sprawl, but not dense URBAN. Do people see the difference now ? One is about WALKABILITY and the other is about DRIVING A CAR. I wonder which one sounds more like Los Angeles ?? Hmmmm ... Probably the one with the car right? Right

The reality is, Los Angeles is nothing more than a bunch of suburbs piled on top of each other that people usually refer to as "LA" when realistically when they are talking about "LA" they are talking more about the entire METRO than the actual CITY! Isn't that funny ? It's even more funny, when a location other than the cities main downtown is more densely populated than the downtown itself (koreatown / westlake ), I personally think it is a joke for any area in any city to be more densely populated than the downtown. People think that just because they live outside the 2nd most populous "city" in the nation, that automatically they are in an urban environment just because it is densely populated sprawl, but reality is, they are really just living in a densely populated SUBURB, where a vehicle is required, and not a densely populated CITY/Urban core.
Um, residential areas are almost always more populated than downtowns, especially nearby nieghborhoods. That includes NYC.

You pretty much don't know what you're talking about.

Here's my rebuttal to your nonsense from another thread:

Koreatown: 42,000 ppsm, population 124,000
Westlake: 38,000 ppsm, population 118,000

Those two neighborhoods alone have nearly 60% of the entire population of Miami. Notice the density. Los Angeles completely crushes Miami in this area, and really only trails New York. L.A.'s core density competes with Chicago, Philadelphia, and San Francisco. Miami isn't in the same area code.

What would you like to me to respond to in your other posts? You want to compare transit systems? For starters, Miami has 24.4 miles of track. Los Angeles has 88. L.A. has a subway. Miami?

You want to compare walkability? Los Angeles has 1.9 million residents living in walkscores above 70. Miami, 300,000.

1.9 million vs 300k. Is any of this sinking in?

http://www.walkscore.com/CA/Los_Angeles
http://www.walkscore.com/FL/Miami

Go enjoy your city for what it is. But don't kid yourself that Miami is urban and L.A. isn't. It's delusional thinking.

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 01-15-2013 at 10:54 PM..

Old 01-15-2013, 09:55 PM

696 posts, read 1,166,249 times
Los Angeles is just a giant collection of suburbs, with a mediocre urban core just admit it.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:56 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,844,355 times
Quote:
Los Angeles is just a giant collection of suburbs, just admit it.
When was the last time you visited Los Angeles? Where did you go?

Old 01-15-2013, 09:58 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,095,361 times
Quote:
Los Angeles is just a giant collection of suburbs, just admit it.
come here and see how it really is. You won't get that vibe..

Old 01-15-2013, 09:59 PM

696 posts, read 1,166,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
come here and see how it really is.
Why so I can be stuck in traffic for 10 hours?

Old 01-15-2013, 10:00 PM

810 posts, read 1,339,596 times
He believes Ft Lauderdale is a major city.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:01 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,095,361 times
Quote:
Why so I can be stuck in traffic for 10 hours?
You don't have to drive..
Come to L.A., stay in Hollywood, take the subway to downtown to eat some good cardne asada fries, the good burger joint on 6th and Hill. Scope out some bars in the area, then stumble back to the subway when your ready to further your exploration.

Take it to wilshire to see koreatown. With the metro you can check out pasadena, East LA, culver city, City Walk, and as for the bus, the rapids are fast. Gets you where you need to go fairly quick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles