Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2013, 08:20 AM

4,993 posts, read 5,926,428 times

Advertisements

Of course everyone knows that LA's big new year event is the Rose Bowl parade. Trains are normally packed overnight with people heading to the parade.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:33 AM

2,720 posts, read 5,607,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
I think that they are headed in slightly different directions. Hollywood will remain the more trendy and party oriented destination with dance clubs and live music but downtown may attract an older and family crowd from conventions and vacationers along with a younger college scene.

Lots more tourists are staying downtown now. It gets mixed reviews but better than 7 years ago when they were all negative. A common complaint is difficulty getting to Santa Monica on public transportation because of the long bus ride. When Expo opens in 2-3 years that will be much easier.
I love DTLA because it's not the hot spot. It feels like you have a whole city to yourself or that you're in the know but of course it's just because people do not know about how great DTLA is or they prefer to be further West.

It was dead on NYE but it was also great to not to deal with traffic, large crowds or hoity toity behavior. It was chill and felt like a word of mouth kind of thing. I liked it.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:49 AM

10,084 posts, read 15,786,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
I love DTLA because it's not the hot spot. It feels like you have a whole city to yourself or that you're in the know but of course it's just because people do not know about how great DTLA is or they prefer to be further West.

It was dead on NYE but it was also great to not to deal with traffic, large crowds or hoity toity behavior. It was chill and felt like a word of mouth kind of thing. I liked it.
Just curious what part of downtown were you in?

I went to a party at a bar in Hollywood - if you know the right places to go you can avoid the douchiness that is normally associated with HW.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:51 AM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,395 posts, read 13,352,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post

Ever been to the Library Bar? I would want to be near DTLA just for that place.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Just curious what part of downtown were you in?

I went to a party at a bar in Hollywood - if you know the right places to go you can avoid the douchiness that is normally associated with HW.
I was at the Standard Hotel. It was a good size crowd. I am sure the bars were packed in DTLA but the streets were not.

I love WeHo because I found it to be less snooty that I thought and always have a blast at The Den, Bar Marmont, and Bar Lubbitch (sp?).

I have yet to club in Hollywood Hollywood outside of the bars on Cahuenga.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:53 PM

810 posts, read 1,338,185 times
BarcelonaFan--living in the valley...how hard is it to get to those bars in Hollywood/West Hollywood? Mainly getting back home.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trancedout View Post
BarcelonaFan--living in the valley...how hard is it to get to those bars in Hollywood/West Hollywood? Mainly getting back home.
I am much closer to WeHo than DTLA so I went out a ways for NYE.

It's never hard for me to get to Hollywood on the 101 and exit Cahuenga or Vine. Always a breeze. Except maybe in the mornings.

There is a bit more traffic to get to WeHo if I take Laurel Canyon all the way down or get off the 101 on Vine and take Sunset all the way down. Never much traffic doing the same but taking Santa Monica.

Minus the traffic everything in LA does feel like 20 mins.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:13 PM

810 posts, read 1,338,185 times
Doesn't sound that bad...I just wouldn't wanna do any of that driving back to the valley if I've been partying. Some people can do it though.

I'd like to be as close to the red line if possible, for easier access into Hollywood.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Doesn't sound that bad...I just wouldn't wanna do any of that driving back to the valley if I've been partying. Some people can do it though.

I'd like to be as close to the red line if possible, for easier access into Hollywood.
It's pricey the closer you get to the red line because that's NoHo Arts.

Try to find a place of Magnolia headed back from Lankershim toward Laurel Canyon.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:42 PM

10,084 posts, read 15,786,797 times
Quote:

The Red Line runs till 2 AM on Friday and Saturday nights. The Orange Line's last trains headed westbound leave a little after 2 AM to allow for a connection to the last Red Line train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles