Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 11:42 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkillb View Post
We lived in South Park for a year at a loft across from Staples. The beginning of the video is the area and it was a really interesting place to live. Way too high in rent for what it was and things are still building up to make it more liveable. But it was fun to do it. There is a real night life especially on Spring St. I wish I had bought a GoPro sooner as I have started just running it while I randomly drive around the city at different times of the day. Eventually I want to post everything uncut on youtube as it shows just how unique LA really is.

I think that the song To Live and Die in LA by 2pac is a great example of how diverse the area really is. So many people haven't experienced riding the subway through the hood or walking around random parts of the city. Skid Row at night is truly menacing to the senses.
Sometimes it is really overwhelming to think of all the things I have not been able to do in Los Angeles simply because there is just so much to see and do. Still haven't been to Skid Row, Fashion District, Arts District never taken the Blue Line or Green Line. Mostly because these places are just really out of the way from where I do my normal routine. I feel like I have seen most of Hollywood but even then there are huge parts of the neighborhood I have not been able to see (mostly Melrose Hill area, which is a shame because I love that part of town).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 12:04 PM

223 posts, read 523,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Sometimes it is really overwhelming to think of all the things I have not been able to do in Los Angeles simply because there is just so much to see and do. Still haven't been to Skid Row, Fashion District, Arts District never taken the Blue Line or Green Line. Mostly because these places are just really out of the way from where I do my normal routine. I feel like I have seen most of Hollywood but even then there are huge parts of the neighborhood I have not been able to see (mostly Melrose Hill area, which is a shame because I love that part of town).
That's why we try to go out of our way to randomly go somewhere. Like instead of getting to this place by subway lets walk. Or instead of driving lets take public transit. I used to take random ways home from work when I was doing a commute from Glendale and Torrance. Driving through Compton my first time was a real eye opener. Trying random bars is always fun to do. Especially places that look like dive bars when you don't feel comfortable being there.

After recently moving to Altadena I am excited to take the metro from Pasadena into Downtown to visit our old stomping grounds and buying fabric in the fashion district. There are a lot of semi secret places to hang out in Downtown which was always fun to find. Such as the burger place in Skid Row that is somewhat upscale. Most reviews mention how they were scared to go there at night, but it was meant for locals who know its really not as dangerous as it appears.

I would take my jogs at all times of the day going through the city taking pictures of the buildings and tagging.

I think we just really like to randomly drive around and see new things. I know a lot of people just stay on their side of town for some reason.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:46 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,850,028 times
Quote:
You need a vacation in LA!

Old 01-04-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlite View Post
You need a vacation in LA!
I know! My wife recently got a job in DTLA so we have been focusing most of our free time on exploring there, just need to make our way eastward and southern.

My wife plays soccer in the evenings in Redondo Beach, I was thinking of trying to take the Blue and Green line to meet her there so I could experience those two lines.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:00 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,635,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
You really take this forum personally don't you?
Chic, you know your are da homie but you've never really been out of here huh? You think that people think LA is a joke? Nah bruh, LA gets hate but people love this city too. Sure, the "hollywood types" may cast a little gloom on it but it's also those types that make people think this city is the lick! It goes both ways, there are soo many NYC transplants here it's ridiculous, but you don't hear about many LA people moving to NYC, (not saying they do). I think you have a misconception about your city, move out for a few years and I'm sure you'd look back and be like what was I thinking.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:10 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,635,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
There's more money in showcasing Hollywood as LA than the rest of LA as LA. Sad but it's true and it shouldn't be that way at all.

The only time they show case the "other LA" is when crime is involved, which is another thing blown out of proportion as LA is one the safest major cities in America. Far safer than New Orleans, Miami or the new darling of the press; Houston.

What's fascinating about this city is the part of the city that's isn;t glamorized.
I don't see why people have a problem with the entity of "Hollywood" there's nothing wrong with it, it's the industry that has made LA what it is economically. This city thrives because of the entertainment industry. We have to learn to appreciate that for what it is. Yeah, some people will think that's all LA is about but who cares, true lovers of LA know that LA is hidden. Also, we love to compare ourselves to NYC and it's natural but LA is soo much younger than NYC. I also think we have more room to change and grow than NYC because there's nothing more NYC can do as far as structural growth anymore. LA has so much land to build upon.

Here's another thing, in the movies, commercials and etc., DTLA is used to look like NYC (70% of car commercials are taped here) but you can't do the same in NYC, you can't make it look like LA. Sorry! You can make LA look like Miami (Dexter anyone--Long Beach and Marina Del Rey) but you can't really make Miami look like LA, it's too flat. And you can make LA look like Seattle with it's gloom and trees., (Grey's Anatomy--Griffith park area). This city get's much respect, trust me.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:45 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Downtown LA can pretty much look like any city in the world, am I right?

When I was in LA, most of the time I forgot the Hollywood industry was even located in LA. I expected that to have a much bigger impact on the city. Even walking around the Hollywood area, it was a just any other urban neighborhood to me.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:57 PM

193 posts, read 465,369 times
Quote:
And even when they show "Hollywood" it is not really Hollywood.
I enjoy Universal Studios and all but for some reason it annoys me that they keep referring to its location as hollywood. Its just way off, especially considering its not even in the basin. Is paramount the main major studio in Hollywood?

Old 01-04-2013, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaemophilusAphrophilus View Post
I enjoy Universal Studios and all but for some reason it annoys me that they keep referring to its location as hollywood. Its just way off, especially considering its not even in the basin. Is paramount the main major studio in Hollywood?
Yeah it's over on Melrose and Gower.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:01 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaemophilusAphrophilus View Post
That's funny. It's up near North Hollywood, so I guess they think they can get away with it. But it's in LA, so they have every right to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles