U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 09:07 PM

507 posts, read 723,616 times

Advertisements

So after watching this video I got the impression that there will be little TOD opportunities atleast before getting to Santa Monica, would like to know what you guys think.

Los Angeles Metro Expo Line - Phase II Tour, Part 1 - YouTube
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 09:33 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,692,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Instigator View Post
So after watching this video I got the impression that there will be little TOD opportunities atleast before getting to Santa Monica, would like to know what you guys think.

Los Angeles Metro Expo Line - Phase II Tour, Part 1 - YouTube
There's a proposal being considered for a 17 story, 538 unit complex with some 270,000 square feet of retail at Pico & Sepulveda, next to the Expo Line. Lots of controversy, as you might imagine.

A lot of the TOD potential along Phase 2 of the Expo Line is in Santa Monica, which the video didn't show.

Also, the video is cool in simulating the experience of riding along the line, but it's also a very narrow view of the corridor. I'm pretty sure there are several points along the line where there are good sized, developable lots a little bit out of this video's frame.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:59 PM

10,087 posts, read 14,402,100 times
My thoughts -
Where the ROW is paved over between Palms and Motor Ave, to the left is a rent-a-storage facility. Wouldn't surprise me if that land ended up being too valuable to be wasted on something like that and eventually the owner sells it off to be developed into something a little more useful for its proximity to the rail line. You can't tell from the video but across the street from the storage facility is Palms, one of the densest neighborhoods on the Westside. Not a lot of opportunity to build TOD but tons of opportunity to attract riders.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:07 AM

671 posts, read 1,078,054 times
That is a really OLD video that has been around and known by transit advocates for quite a while. But I'm glad you posted it for those who don't know.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:15 PM

460 posts, read 916,764 times
I live in San Francisco and am fascinated by new transit development.

This may be a transformational change for Los Angeles. You can work in Santa Monica or downtown LA and be along the Expo line. New townhomes, condos, and apartments will be expected along this Expo line corridor. I don't see the controversy though of new housing. Isn't there a vocal majority complaining about high housing costs?

Old 02-07-2013, 06:57 PM

10,087 posts, read 14,402,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusHsu View Post
I live in San Francisco and am fascinated by new transit development.

This may be a transformational change for Los Angeles. You can work in Santa Monica or downtown LA and be along the Expo line. New townhomes, condos, and apartments will be expected along this Expo line corridor. I don't see the controversy though of new housing. Isn't there a vocal majority complaining about high housing costs?
It won't be hard to build there, the line goes through mostly lower-income neighborhoods. This issue is who will be the first to jump in and build first through neighborhoods like West Adams and Jefferson Park.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:51 AM

21,100 posts, read 25,069,024 times
Just finished my second trip in a month to L.A. to ride the rails and be gleefully car-less while enjoying your city. Had some time left yesterday, only line I hadn't ridden was the Expo Line, and off I went!

When it said Culver City, I was as disappointed as when I took the Green Line to Redondo Beach, thinking I'd be deposited at the beach!

Well, I wasn't thinking! Those beach residents I'm sure had a say in where the line would end, same in Culver City! I expected to be deposited in the central part of CC and? What a surprise or shock it was! Got off, walked within a 3 block radius of the last stop, did a little shopping at Goodwill, but holey-moley! Nothing there!

But I see the expansion work going on to the west of the last stop, so that's encouraging!

Now if they can only do some build-ups at the Expo Line stops! Let's hope there isn't a slew of Nimby's that way to shout down any midrise or highrise construction!

Old 02-09-2013, 01:10 AM

1,714 posts, read 3,509,781 times
There are a lot of restaurants near the Culver City Station... and some fancy furniture stores too (with furniture for you to carry onto the train, of course).

Old 02-09-2013, 11:45 AM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 12,009,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Just finished my second trip in a month to L.A. to ride the rails and be gleefully car-less while enjoying your city. Had some time left yesterday, only line I hadn't ridden was the Expo Line, and off I went!

When it said Culver City, I was as disappointed as when I took the Green Line to Redondo Beach, thinking I'd be deposited at the beach!

Well, I wasn't thinking! Those beach residents I'm sure had a say in where the line would end, same in Culver City! I expected to be deposited in the central part of CC and? What a surprise or shock it was! Got off, walked within a 3 block radius of the last stop, did a little shopping at Goodwill, but holey-moley! Nothing there!

But I see the expansion work going on to the west of the last stop, so that's encouraging!

Now if they can only do some build-ups at the Expo Line stops! Let's hope there isn't a slew of Nimby's that way to shout down any midrise or highrise construction!
Seems like you are disappointed because you didn't do more research! I've heard there is a lot by the Culver City stop, but it sounds like you didn't look hard enough.

Last edited by PDF; 02-09-2013 at 11:55 AM..

Old 02-09-2013, 08:32 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,692,798 times
There's also a lack of wayfinding signage from Culver City station into downtown Culver City, which is really a lovely little place. It's an easy walk if you know where you're going, but Metro and the city should also guide newbies. I doubt that tourist-friendly Santa Monica will make the same mistake.

Yes, the expansion of the rapid transit network is already transformational for Los Angeles, and will be more so as it proceeds. For transit supporters, it's one of the most interesting and exciting cities in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles