Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2013, 12:21 AM

696 posts, read 1,161,958 times

Advertisements

Which is more alive and happening? Which is more desirable to live urban/walkable wise.

Los Angeles isn't particularly known for it's downtown too much.

Long Beach on the other hand looks like a happenin place downtown.

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 12:51 AM

2,964 posts, read 5,426,403 times
Downtown LB is great for what it is, but there's really nothing I'd call a draw. For high end or destination bars there's nothing like the Standard or the Edison. There's a brewing company but DTLA has more than a couple. There's no Santee Alley or Toy District or Flower District. No LA Live or Staples Center. There's certainly no Disney Hall. There's not really a lot of shopping. But for a good, somewhat active DT with easy-to-navigate street fairs, downtown LB is a nice thing to have around. Good old fashioned dive bars close by, too. And though it's not the most pleasant beach it sure is nice to have that beach.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:20 PM

8,221 posts, read 13,302,159 times
Is this about just visiting or actually living?
To live in, I'd go with LBDT but I might be biased since I live in LB already though not around downtown.
Still, LBDT is a much more happening area imho plus many things in walking distance.
A few miles south on 2nd street, there are more dining and shopping options.

Will work/commute not be an issue?

Old 01-02-2013, 05:04 PM

4,536 posts, read 10,578,028 times
You guys have a whole lot of misconceptions about DTLA.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:22 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,027,216 times
DTLA is like 10 times bigger than downtown Long Beach. It has a lot going on and good public transit connections, and a lot of history. Little Tokyo is a cool place to eat and shop at Nijiya.

DTLB is small but alright, if you live in LB then it's a nice and lively place to go for a drink or a meal. Plus there's even more shops and restaurants nearby down by the harbor, although a lot of it is plastic corporate chains.

Really depends on what region you want to spend most of your time in since they're 30 miles apart which is a pretty big distance during rush hour.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:43 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,934,352 times
DTLB always seemed too clean to me. The grit and occasional sketchiness of DTLA has always been one of my favorite things about it. For DTLA to lose that would mean losing all of it's character and basically turning into San Diego or something.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:57 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,838,761 times
To me, Downtown Long Beach is neat because it's small, easy to walk the length of, to get a feel for the whole place. It's a real downtown in miniature. Downtown LA is something else altogether, the single biggest center for the metropolitan area of something like 18 million people.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:30 AM

88 posts, read 167,633 times
Hands down DT Long Beach. Have you been to that cease-pool they call a downtown in LA. Its everything you can possibly despise. Traffic, smog, Gang bangers, homeless, Soulless downtown where no one wants to be in after 5pm.

Long Beach, No competition there.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:46 AM

215 posts, read 471,471 times
v
Quote:
Originally Posted by long beach finest View Post
Hands down DT Long Beach. Have you been to that cease-pool they call a downtown in LA. Its everything you can possibly despise. Traffic, smog, Gang bangers, homeless, Soulless downtown where no one wants to be in after 5pm.

Long Beach, No competition there.
um ok!

If you say so.

Just remember I live in DTLB and have so for 13 years. Granted I rather live by the beach in DTLB because it cooler and less congestion. Still I'm a bit envious of downtown LA, and all of the activities, close proximity it is to everything, and there are many more options to public transportation to get out to the suburbs via metrolink, or MTA Metro to Pasadena if I so wanted to visit relatives without driving. DT Long Beach also has one train line to LA, and decent bus service around the neighborhood, but it don't even compared to downtown LA.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:19 PM

696 posts, read 1,161,958 times
I forgot about this thread haha..

I would prefer to live in Long Beach.

It's in the perfect location near OC / LA / Anaheim

It has plenty to do already.

More of a tattoo + hip hop presence + edgy feel .

Great mix of people (Asian, Black, Hispanic, White)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles