Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 04:23 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,635,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by double-double View Post
I've got to ask: how many people saying "DO IT" have moved to LA to "DO IT" themselves? And had success? Just wondering how much of this could be the blind leading the blind
Not exactly an apples to apples question. It's like someone asking "hey, should I marry the girl that does this but here's the risk or marry this girl that has these risks..." no one answering has to have been in that situation. So don't think it's a matter of the blind leading the blind...it's called encouragement...with all the famous people out there, who do you think told them to do it before they got here? Wasn't people who had already done it?

A better question is from where does a question like that take it's root?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 04:33 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
I’ve been an entertainer all of my life. I've been in bands, acted, was a magician, and for the last 5 years I have been a stand-up comic. I have been successful locally and have many colleagues that moved to LA and some have become successful as actors and/or comedians. They have (along with other peers) encouraged me to move to LA, saying I have the look, personality, and humor to be successful (however that is defined out there).

Of course now I’m 31 and have another life though. I have a good job with a 6 figure salary (although I work from home which could be easily transferable to LA), and I have a serious girlfriend urging to be a wife, which is probably my biggest drawback. I do adore her, but my curiosity sometime gets to me. I go back and forth on the prospect of uprooting and trying my luck in LA. It never seems reasonable yet it’s been on my mind for some time. I can see regret by both not trying it out there, and by trying it and never getting back what I gave up.

If I really did have the all the right ingredients (just to humor me and this post, assume I had Brad Pitt talent/looks/etc.), would I still be an idiot to give up my relatively established life to give Hollywood a shot?
Can these same "successful" friends of yours hook you up with an intro to some industry connected people to get the ball rolling or all they all fluff?

I'm not going to call you an "idiot", but if you really can transfer your six figure salary out to LA, then do it. As long as you can pursue your "dream" with money in your pocket, then you'll be fine.

You'll soon see just how "successful" your actor friends are when you move.

Always remember that "success" in LA terms is all relative to the INDIVIDUAL. You'll see that soon enough.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
Here's what someone who moved to LA and made it has to say. Director Ang Lee;

It’s a magical place for a director. It’s movie town. There’s a level of sophistication of filmmaking that’s mind-boggling. Anything you need for your movie, there’s an establishment that can make it happen really fast. There’s nothing like it anywhere in the world. But to live, it’s a little too magical to the point of being unreal. I look at the buildings, hear the way people talk, and there’s a hyped L.A. style that feels good but not so solid.
Another thing about L.A. is how time goes quickly. The L.A. weather is a lot like Taiwan’s, where you don’t observe four seasons, so the years can pass and you don’t feel a thing. One day you think “Huh?” and suddenly you realize it’s 15 years later. I guess in Hollywood you chart your life by Oscars. You say to each other, “Remember when that movie won that year? It was 2006. Remember that?”
I have to agree with the highlighted. Time really flew when I was living in LA and I think it was due to the weather staying the same no matter what.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:50 PM

Quote:
I've got to ask: how many people saying "DO IT" have moved to LA to "DO IT" themselves? And had success? Just wondering how much of this could be the blind leading the blind
I would never advise anyone to come to LA without a decent paying job or a way to make money.

If the OP really does have friends that are "successful" in the biz and keep telling him to come out, because he has the "look", then those same "successful" friends better have the means to hook him up with important contacts.

Los Angeles is FULL of Brad Pitt lookalikes and better. It's the land of the beautiful people. Seriously.

If the OP can still make his six figure salary living in LA, then he should come out and see what happens. My only REAL advice would be to give it six months to a year. If nothing is happening by that time, then get the hell outta dodge and stop wasting your time.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I have to agree with the highlighted. Time really flew when I was living in LA and I think it was due to the weather staying the same no matter what.
ya know, that's deep, I totally agree with this. Time flies by out here!

Old 01-04-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I would never advise anyone to come to LA without a decent paying job or a way to make money.

If the OP really does have friends that are "successful" in the biz and keep telling him to come out, because he has the "look", then those same "successful" friends better have the means to hook him up with important contacts.

Los Angeles is FULL of Brad Pitt lookalikes and better. It's the land of the beautiful people. Seriously.

If the OP can still make his six figure salary living in LA, then he should come out and see what happens. My only REAL advice would be to give it six months to a year. If nothing is happening by that time, then get the hell outta dodge and stop wasting your time.
I agree to a point. He could also come here realize he can't cut it but not leave and just make this his home. I bet a majority of people that move here with dreams do that. You don't have to move back to Dodge unless you don't like it in LA.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:02 PM

810 posts, read 1,342,337 times
I didn't spent much time in LA before, but there seemed to be more regular people, I was expecting to see supermodels everywhere.

I wonder where those people hang out.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:37 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trancedout View Post
I was expecting to see supermodels everywhere.

I wonder where those people hang out.
If they're not on red carpets or runways, they're either in salons or safely behind secured gates.

To OP:
Go for it. We never hear of someone looking to chase their dreams in L.A. who actually has a significant source of income already lined up. Giving that up to heed demands to settle down sounds like a recipe for a failed marriage, anyway. If she refuses to join you in your journey, maybe it wasn't meant to be. Creative people go nuts trying to be ordinary.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
If they're not on red carpets or runways, they're either in salons or safely behind secured gates.
Nah, it's all about the connections. One of my homies works for Radar Online and gets invited to tons of celeb-filled events and those types are there. Last time I went to one I realized that part of LA is real but you have to either work in it or know someone who does.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:45 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Quote:
Yes, but the GF does not and in fact wants to move to her home city. I have mixed feelings about that, it might even be one catalyst for me considering a move to LA. And no, she isn't on board with moving with me. She is ready to "get on" with her life...move closer to home, buy a home, have kids, etc.
Even if you don't move to L.A., what you wrote (above) should be re-read to yourself a few times. It's a very heavy statement, really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles