Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 08:22 PM

10 posts, read 15,427 times

Advertisements

I’ve been an entertainer all of my life. I've been in bands, acted, was a magician, and for the last 5 years I have been a stand-up comic. I have been successful locally and have many colleagues that moved to LA and some have become successful as actors and/or comedians. They have (along with other peers) encouraged me to move to LA, saying I have the look, personality, and humor to be successful (however that is defined out there).

Of course now I’m 31 and have another life though. I have a good job with a 6 figure salary (although I work from home which could be easily transferable to LA), and I have a serious girlfriend urging to be a wife, which is probably my biggest drawback. I do adore her, but my curiosity sometime gets to me. I go back and forth on the prospect of uprooting and trying my luck in LA. It never seems reasonable yet it’s been on my mind for some time. I can see regret by both not trying it out there, and by trying it and never getting back what I gave up.

If I really did have the all the right ingredients (just to humor me and this post, assume I had Brad Pitt talent/looks/etc.), would I still be an idiot to give up my relatively established life to give Hollywood a shot?

Last edited by double-double; 01-03-2013 at 08:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 08:26 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,489,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by double-double View Post
I’ve been an entertainer all of my life. I've been in bands, acted, was a magician, and for the last 5 years I have been a stand-up comic. I have been successful locally and have many colleagues that moved to LA and some have become successful as actors and/or comedians. They have (along with other peers) encouraged me to move to LA, saying I have the look, personality, and humor to be successful (however that is defined out there).

Of course now I’m 31 and have another life though. I have a good job with a 6 figure salary (although I work from home which could be easily transferable to LA), and I have a serious girlfriend urging to be a wife, which is probably my biggest drawback. I go back and forth on the prospect of uprooting and trying my luck in LA. It never seems reasonable yet it’s been on my mind for some time. I can see regret by both not trying it out there, and by trying it and never getting back what I gave up.

If I really did have the all the right ingredients (just to humor me and this post, assume I had Brad Pitt talent/looks/etc.), would I still be an idiot to give up my relatively established life to give Hollywood a shot?

There are many posts on this forum regarding the trials and tribulations of trying to start an acting career in LA.

I must say though, this is the first time I have seen someone asking if they should move to LA to be an idiot. Interesting perspective.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:37 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,170,176 times
It's much easier to move to LA to become an idiot than it is to become an actor.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:34 PM

8,551 posts, read 10,973,619 times
I say DO IT.
If you don't you will always have it in the back of your mind.
If it doesn't work out, you can return to your native state.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Bob.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:50 PM

26 posts, read 88,197 times
Why not got for it. This is the usa we have the freedom to move freely!

Old 01-03-2013, 10:08 PM

925 posts, read 1,333,521 times
If you can work from home, just move and give it a shot! YOu have nothing to lose except some money because of COL(Bring your GF too). But whats more important? Saving a few more thousands or pursuing your dream? If it does not work out, you can move back to your original location in a few years.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:40 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,850,028 times
I'm inclined to say go for it too, but a couple questions nag. You implied, but didn't say, that moving to LA would mean breaking up your relationship. If that's right, it doesn't tell you what to do, it just gives you more to think about. The other question is whether you like where you're living now. Apart from thinking that you might be missing a big chance, how do you feel about your current situation? Again, it doesn't tell you what do, just stuff to think about.

On the plus side, you know folks who have moved to LA and are in the "industry," who can presumably help you at least some to get work,

Old 01-03-2013, 10:55 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,113,468 times
Be careful. The streets are lined with the ones who had ambitions and are now empty shells.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:14 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Well...what's the BEST that you imagine can happen? International A lister, eking out a living doing minor stints here and there while holding down a day job, or something in between? What will you have in any case that you don't have now that will contribute to your life's happiness? And more importantly what if you do land something but the downside destroys you?

I only ask because I don't get the "Hollywood Celebrity" draw. Nobody ends up well even if they do hit the big time...the tabloids are proof of that.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:24 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,291,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by double-double View Post
I have a serious girlfriend urging to be a wife, which is probably my biggest drawback. I do adore her, but . . .

How much do you adore her?
What does she think?
Would she come with you?
Do you love her more than the idea of fame?
Would you rather be Mr. Success without love, or Mr. Ordinary with it?

I know what I would choose, and I know what the man who loves me would choose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles