Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2013, 07:39 PM

2 posts, read 4,243 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Huntington Beach - looking to move to a somewhat different area, but still within reasonable distance to my family, and Downtown LB seems to fit reasonably well, but I have a couple questions for those who live there:

1) The apartment complex that looks most attractive to me is Pacific Court - Pacific Court Apartments - Long Beach, CA - if anyone lives there and posts here, how has your experience been? It seems very inexpensive for what you get. Is the area in general (3rd St. in between Broadway and 4th St. off of Pacific) safe for a young working couple?

2) Does the Metro Blue Line work well for transportation around DTLB and up to DTLA? I've ridden Metrolink and Amtrak before, but that's a different experience as commuter rail than light rail. Also, I've noticed that there don't seem to be a lot of gates at Blue Line intersections. Do the traffic lights in the area simply change to prevent passage when the train is coming?

3) How is traffic in the area? My girlfriend will be commuting to CSU Long Beach for graduate school.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 10:03 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,074,702 times
1) Is that the giant brown compound? I'd be a bit concerned about the noise of the blue line running right by it. Also you're a block away from the park outside the main library where there's dozens and dozens of homeless people lounging around being annoying. On the plus side you're right by Pine which is the liveliest part of DTLB with a lot of busy restaurants and bars.

2) It's...ok. It takes about an hour at least to get to DTLA. It's pretty zippy from around Willow to Washington station because it runs on its own tracks, but in DTLB and near DTLA it craaaaawls through street traffic because it runs on the street, and you have to sit through a ton of light changes--often the train just sits there for no apparent reason while the lights cycle through 4 or 5 times. It's definitely a long ride, and the rather ghetto clientele and tendency of the trains to be dirty and crowded really wears you down. For getting around DTLB, biking or walking is the best option. The Long Beach bus system is pretty nice though the buses don't run very frequently--but a lot of lines run down the same route in certain areas which lessens wait time since you can just take whichever bus comes first.

3) Street traffic is heavy during rush hour obviously, not too bad otherwise. CSULB is about 5 miles from downtown, and 7th street is the main artery to get there. Also living downtown you'd be by the main LB bus plaza and she could take one of several buses, it only takes like 20 minutes to get to CSULB.

I don't know why you want or need to be so far west in Long Beach, but Belmont Shores is a lot closer to CSU and is a lot nicer than downtown LB, it can be pricy though and you're probably not going to get a new condo-style rental for the same price as you would in DTLB. Also it's that much closer to OC.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:30 AM

671 posts, read 1,189,851 times
Yes, Belmont Shore MUCH nicer, or not the negatives of downtown LB, but further from Blue Line, but there is the Belmont Shore parking HELL! Nicer beach, too, and good restaurants.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:00 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,562,086 times
The apartment ratings dot com site has a surprisingly high approval level for those apartments! That site is usually full of complainers so I'm surprised it is that high (87%).

As for the area, the whole pine street mall thing they are doing over there seems like it was aimed at a much higher clientele than what it ended up with. I've been over there during the day, not sure I'd hang around there at night but the apartments look nice.

Belmont shore is just such a great area and I've walked the dog around there (house-sitting) well past 11 at night and never felt unsafe. Not saying nothing bad ever happens there, but it seems to have a more respectful, quiet vibe. But yeah parking around there is awful at night.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:19 PM

215 posts, read 474,729 times
I lived in downtown Long Beach now for almost 13 years. No it's not Belmont Shores, but it also not some crime ridden war zone either. Truth be told I would rather live in Belmont Shore too, but it's a little pricey and apartments are much older and smaller on average than downtown Long Beach.

I actually looked at Pacific Courts about a year ago when my wife and I sold our condo. The rent was slightly less expensive than other apartments comparable in the area. I really did like the loft unit and it was facing west looking down on pacific avenue where the blue line runs. I didn't think the noise was all that bad because the units sits atop a retail/parking garage so you're not at street level, but several floors above it. There is a park as well as a dog park, plus the central library and city hall on the side of pacific avenue, but I wouldn't say its unsafe. Although most people avoid the park because there are homeless people hanging around, but the worst day is usually on Saturday morning when there are church groups who come with buses and pick them up perhaps to feed them (not totally sure the reason).

Anyway Pacific Court faces Pine Avenue, or if you have a car you would never encounter many people due to the fact you enter you complex through the secured parking garage. It's a nice complex with a nice courtyard, plus it's quite isolated from the street level since the units sits atop the retail complex.

Overall the access to public transportation is way better than Belmont Shores, as you have the transit center where the majority of Long Beach bus lines terminate, as well as the Blue Line train. Cal State Long Beach is a breeze to get to by public transportation from this area.

There are movie theaters, a good number of coffee shops Starbucks, It's A Grind, Berlin (my personal favorite), plus too many independents to count. Then there is waterfront dining all within walking distance. Also plenty of nightlife if you're into that, some quite nice and others so so, and plus there are the dives too.

I would say if you were born and raised in The O.C. specifically Huntington Beach, downtown LB will be quite different from what you're used to. It's quite diverse in comparison both people wise, and economically. The well to do (especially in the highrises along Ocean) along with the poor all in the same neighborhood. It's rather unique and that way. Don't write downtown LA off your list just yet, but check it out for yourself and see if you are comfortable with the area. Again I lived here for 12 years going on 13 now and never had any problems.

By the way, you should check out the Camden Harbor View Apartments on Ocean Blvd. They offer some decent rates on leases, and depending on the location of the unit it may fit your budget. What I found about Pacific Court they are some fees the are not part of the rent you have to pay which will bring up you monthly expense perhaps even more than the flat rate rent over at the Camden's. Personally I like Camden's better, they have a swimming pool.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:39 PM

2 posts, read 4,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Fan View Post
I lived in downtown Long Beach now for almost 13 years. No it's not Belmont Shores, but it also not some crime ridden war zone either. Truth be told I would rather live in Belmont Shore too, but it's a little pricey and apartments are much older and smaller on average than downtown Long Beach.

I actually looked at Pacific Courts about a year ago when my wife and I sold our condo. The rent was slightly less expensive than other apartments comparable in the area. I really did like the loft unit and it was facing west looking down on pacific avenue where the blue line runs. I didn't think the noise was all that bad because the units sits atop a retail/parking garage so you're not at street level, but several floors above it. There is a park as well as a dog park, plus the central library and city hall on the side of pacific avenue, but I wouldn't say its unsafe. Although most people avoid the park because there are homeless people hanging around, but the worst day is usually on Saturday morning when there are church groups who come with buses and pick them up perhaps to feed them (not totally sure the reason).

Anyway Pacific Court faces Pine Avenue, or if you have a car you would never encounter many people due to the fact you enter you complex through the secured parking garage. It's a nice complex with a nice courtyard, plus it's quite isolated from the street level since the units sits atop the retail complex.

Overall the access to public transportation is way better than Belmont Shores, as you have the transit center where the majority of Long Beach bus lines terminate, as well as the Blue Line train. Cal State Long Beach is a breeze to get to by public transportation from this area.

There are movie theaters, a good number of coffee shops Starbucks, It's A Grind, Berlin (my personal favorite), plus too many independents to count. Then there is waterfront dining all within walking distance. Also plenty of nightlife if you're into that, some quite nice and others so so, and plus there are the dives too.

I would say if you were born and raised in The O.C. specifically Huntington Beach, downtown LB will be quite different from what you're used to. It's quite diverse in comparison both people wise, and economically. The well to do (especially in the highrises along Ocean) along with the poor all in the same neighborhood. It's rather unique and that way. Don't write downtown LA off your list just yet, but check it out for yourself and see if you are comfortable with the area. Again I lived here for 12 years going on 13 now and never had any problems.

By the way, you should check out the Camden Harbor View Apartments on Ocean Blvd. They offer some decent rates on leases, and depending on the location of the unit it may fit your budget. What I found about Pacific Court they are some fees the are not part of the rent you have to pay which will bring up you monthly expense perhaps even more than the flat rate rent over at the Camden's. Personally I like Camden's better, they have a swimming pool.

Thanks for the responses, everybody!

What were the fees that Pacific Court was charging? I had a feeling that the rent seemed suspiciously low for that area!

Old 01-09-2013, 12:30 AM

215 posts, read 474,729 times
I can't remember the exact fees, but I was caught off guard by it because it was not mentioned until after we sat down to discuss a move in date. I think it it was water and trash, plus some other fee, but basically the rent slight higher than a comparable apartment in the area. Granted the unit we looked at was two bedrooms and a loft, plus I really did like this place as was willing to pay the price. On the other hand my wife like the Camden's Harbor View better, the units on the upper floors facing the ocean had an incredible view, plus there was a coffeehouse, wine bar, Italian restaurant, a diner/mini sports bar, and small park in front of the complex.

I personally like downtown LB, and it's really easy access to the other hot spots of Long Beach by car, walking, or public transportation. You should go check out 4th Street retro row, it's a neat little area, Portfolio Coffee Portfolio Coffeehouse it's a gem in that neighborhood and the same owner as Berlin Bistro. It's also very easy to either bike or take a bus, less than 10 minutes from downtown LB.

I would also go check out the highrise called 1900 Ocean Apartments, it quite nice and almost feels like a hotel. The management is very pleasant and seems to try to locate a unit within your budget. The list they gave us at first shocked us a bit because some of the units are pricey. But depending on the location of the unit, you may find something you like. It sits right on the beach, and they have a small store that also serves hot meals, I also believe there is a dry cleaners in the building as well. My wife and I fell in love with this building as it was very well maintain even though it was built I think in the 60's. Yet it was kept up to date, so not to worry that it was dated looking. Our problem was there was only one parking space, and kind of wanted air condition. Considering it was directly on the beach, and the place has huge windows that open for a nice breeze. Plus the views are the best around I would have made the exception. We couldn't go without two parking spots, and I didn't move after all of our searching. My condo I sold, the owners asked if we like to rent it and the deal was so great we ended up staying put.

Hopefully this will help you with some of my observation when I was looking to move last year.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:49 PM

58 posts, read 146,517 times
Check out the Willmore, the classy old building at 315 W. 3rd St.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles