Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 09:25 PM

810 posts, read 1,336,209 times

Advertisements

My Iowa registration recently expired...

Moving to LA end of this month and it will then be beyond the 30-day grace period in Iowa.

So, is it better to renew my IA registration, or just drive it cross-country with unregistered plates, and then get it registered in CA? I know there's also a smog check in CA.

I understand it's possible to get pulled over for no registration, but if you explain you are moving to CA and want to get it registered there, hopefully they'd understand. If they don't, they don't. I don't want to renew it in Iowa just to drive it to CA, then have to go through the CA process.

I really want CA license plates. Always have.

Or, I could sell the car (reliable 2000 era Japanese import), but using public transportation to find another car in LA seems difficult, and there seem to be lots of scammers on craigslist LA selling cars.

I plan to use public transportation when I can, but for necessities and finding employment, getting stuff for my apartment, etc. It seems like having a car would make things a lot easier.

I'd like to get my car registered in CA, but those fees are probably higher than the Iowa renewal fees, but if I want to live in CA, I don't think it makes sense to re-register the car in Iowa.

Anyone have any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 12:09 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,926,639 times
What about insurance for your vehicle? If you want to assume the risk and liability of driving from Iowa to SoCal in an unregistered vehicle, be my guest. I can't imagine any law enforcement officer giving you a "free pass" to continue on your journey without current registration/insurance coverage. Depending on the jurisdiction, you may see your vehicle impounded. Is the cost savings really worth it?

Old 01-14-2013, 12:20 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,498,023 times
I know for a fact that CA will not process your registration if it is expired in a different state.
I bought a Jeep with expired plates from Illinois. I had pay for the registration for the Illinois before they would do the paper work for me here in CA. They did accept the money for me for the Illinois registration and happily for me I only had to pay for one year and not the 5 years it was late on. The tags were very inexpensive for Illinois thankfully.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:23 AM

2,325 posts, read 2,635,818 times
I would not drive from Iowa to California with an expired registration. You would not get a free pass - most likely you would get a ticket - maybe more than one. That alone would probably be more than renewing your registration. Below is a link to calculate your California registration fee. There is a charge to bring in a car without California emission controls in addition to the regular registration and smog check fee.

Vehicle Registration Fee Calculator

Old 01-14-2013, 12:49 AM

Can I apply for CA registration from Iowa? I'd actually like to sell this car, get something better for CA, that would be dual registration though. The first-time registration fees in Iowa are high, even for an older car.

It is still insured.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:59 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,498,023 times
CA does not issue title or registration for vehicles not in the state.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:07 PM

I found out there's an "in-transit" title you can get in Iowa for $38 that lasts a month.

I know CA has high registration fees, but how much does a smog check cost on average for a smaller car?

Old 01-14-2013, 05:12 PM

6,115 posts, read 12,477,913 times
Just a check is normally less than $50.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:21 PM

How long is it valid?

Old 01-14-2013, 05:28 PM

6,115 posts, read 12,477,913 times
Every other renewal period (2 years).

Unless the car is new, vehicles pay a 'smog abatement fee' for the first 6 renewal periods, in lieu of smog testing.

Read: Smog Information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles