Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 05:11 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,711,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary20852 View Post
Ahem, well this is my reality:

So yes, my life is pretty much low maintenance as it gets...
hehehe. Did you actually type that with a straight face?

Anyway you would be fine in LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 06:07 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,774,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary20852 View Post
I've been working at the same organization for the past 5 years, however, I just relocated to their DC metro area office. In truth, I wish that I had received a transfer to the L.A. office (perhaps I can still manage to get the transfer after a year or so).

Would it be difficult for a single young woman to live a middle class lifestyle in Los Angeles, w/ a salary of 95k/year. Are the state taxes high in CA?

I just can't stop dreaming about California and the palm trees, because it's winter time here...
You can live very comfortably on $95k. Everybody talks about the high cost of living but there are other high COL cities and Washington DC is one of them. In fact the COL is much higher in Washington DC than Los Angeles.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 01-23-2013 at 06:22 AM..

Old 01-16-2013, 06:07 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,635,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
1300 for a 2 bedroom? Where could that be? Never heard of anything that cheap.
I'm in Palms, right off overland and National next to the 10fwy. My wife was living here before me and when we got married I moved in. She's been here for 10 years. We lucked out! Only thing is I hate that I have to stick with Time Warner cable and they won't let me get satellite because I don't have a balcony and they don't allow anything on the roof. It's a great view though I can see like 3-5 different fireworks during 4th of july and the view of southeast and west LA is beautiful day or night. It's just getting a little old. Thinking of moving to Santa Monica/Venice or something since I spend a lot of my time over there for running.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:13 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,482,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
1300 for a 2 bedroom? Where could that be? Never heard of anything that cheap.
Lot of places, but I am thinking of the older 'burbs in LA and Orange Counties.

There are a number of 2 bdrms around for $1300 and under; just have to know where to look, and I don't mean the hood either.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:46 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,169,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
You can live very comfortably on $95k. Everybody talks about the high cost of living but there are other high COL cities and Washington DC is one of them. In fact the COL is much higher in Washington DC than Los Angeles.

This is a very important point. If you're comfortable in DC with your salary, you should be just fine in Los Angeles.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:50 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,635,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
Lot of places, but I am thinking of the older 'burbs in LA and Orange Counties.

There are a number of 2 bdrms around for $1300 and under; just have to know where to look, and I don't mean the hood either.
This is true...the people who rent out these places for cheap are usually older people who don't advertise there properties on craigslist or any place like that. Our place was ran by a lady who was 90-years-old. My wife and her friends found it by just driving around. That's how you do it.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:34 PM

810 posts, read 1,341,841 times
No one ever thinks of this, but cost of living isn't really low anywhere - unless you're talking about section 8 or some other program. Just sustaining a building, even in the middle of a field with running water & electricity isn't ever going to be that cheap, although it would seem as if it would be.

I know what people consider "low cost of living" varies per individual, but even in the most boring midwestern towns, almost any apartment is going to run you 500-550 minimum per month, and you'll be stuck with the NASCAR types and whatnot.

A nicer place, meaning newer building, will be at least 700-800 for a 1-bedroom. Then you have high heating bills in winter.

Daily necessirties like food, internet, gas, electronics, phone - really costs about the same everywhere. In Iowa sales tax is low, but income tax is very high, even higher than CA unless you are in one of the top CA brackets.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:21 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,409,015 times
Quote:
DC is much smaller though (600k vs 3.8 million), so it's going to do better on the per capita statistics. The nice parts in L.A. are every bit the match of DC on the CoL front.

Regardless, 95k is more than enough to live comfortably here in a nice, laid back part of town.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:24 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,409,015 times
Quote:
DC is much smaller though (600k vs 3.8 million), so it's going to do better on the per capita statistics. The nice parts of L.A. are every bit the match of DC on the CoL front.

Regardless, 95k is more than enough to live comfortably in a nice, laid back part of town.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:32 AM

150 posts, read 281,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taydigga View Post
Don't let the cynics deter you. This place is dope! And $95k is more than enough, you'll have a great life here you big baller you!
I have to agree. How important is the square footage? You could be in a sweet spot by the beach no problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles