Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2013, 08:08 PM

147 posts, read 311,342 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone,

I have been a member of CDF for a couple years now and finally am in a position to move to California for a four-month internship.

I have been in talks with an executive at Lighstorm Entertainment and believe that I have an excellent opportunity to land an internship with them next year. Now, I need your assistance with places to stay, things to do etc.

I am a 23 year old male relocating from the Toronto area in Canada and my budget for the apartment would be $1750 per month MAXIMUM. I would need it for about four months maybe a little more to ensure that I am settled in prior. I would also need assistance with places to go things to do etc.

The company is located on Santa Monica Boulevard and 10th Street so something accessible by public transport or walking would be great. I might be bringing my car but I highly doubt it so just in case let's say I don't have my car.

My budget for the four month stay is $11000 which leaves me roughly $1000 per month on top of my rental budget to go out and do activities, eat etc.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

I am willing to get a Bachelor Apartment but would prefer a 1-bedroom.

Thanks,

Robin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 08:40 PM

8,452 posts, read 14,985,517 times
Try Archstone Westside. The rents start at $1,903. However, you get free wi-fi, gym, fax/printer in a business center, and a washer and dryer in the apt, so the extra rent is worth it, IMO.
Also, Archstone has "flexible lease" arrangements, since you need it only for a few months.
But would you need someplace furnished?

Archstone Westside Floor Plans, Pricing, and Availability | Archstone Apartments

Old 01-16-2013, 09:20 PM

434 posts, read 1,016,035 times
The web site for Santa Monica's 'Big Blue Bus' transit system is here: Big Blue Bus . You can find a system map under 'Routes and Schedules.' I'm happy to be corrected by those who know the westside rental market better than I do, but I strongly suspect you're going to find more affordable rentals as you move further east ... say, near the Rimpau Transit Center or Koreatown.

The Los Angeles MTA 720 express bus has stops on Wilshire, not that far away from where you'll be working, and also could be an important transit artery for you. Route link: http://www.metro.net/riding_metro/bu...images/720.pdf Expect it to be quite crowded, especially in the commute hours. Still, it could allow you to live affordably as far east as Koreatown, and deal with a 1/2 hour commute each way, excluding walk time from the bus stop to your office.

I am enough of a pessimist to suggest checking out any prospective rental at the Bed Bug Registry. http://www.bedbugregistry.com/

I'm afraid a life without a car in Los Angeles is a pretty limited life, and likely a far cry from what you're used to in Toronto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles