Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 02:36 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,715,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
LA born, east coast influenced. lol, people can tell that I'm not from here(even though I am). Especially with my large playlist of Chicago and New York hip hop..
You might find yourself the trend setter then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 02:50 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,452,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
Someone told me ounce "Perception is stronger than reality" I fear now that "Perception is reality" no matter if fact and truth are not there.
That's always been L.A.'s mystique and its problem. But it's really not L.A.'s problem. That's what makes the town even more mystifying. No one's specific idea of its reality is Los Angeles' responsibility. It really is the ultimate post-modern city as billed.

The L.A. I saw on screen was never the L.A. I knew. I did meet people for whom it or that or the other experience was the reality. It was all very fluid and could be confusing were I not a native and grounded in my own reality of the place.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:00 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,635,910 times
Quote:
I have always suspected people prefer the screen fantasy more to the reality of the city. This phenomenon is called "Californication" Movies and reality shows. Some of my favorite depictions, City Confidential, Heat, Down And out In Beverly Hills, Boys In The Hood. Funny how much power these depictions of LA have all over the world. What do you prefer? fantasy or reality?
At times I feel like what I saw on t.v. as a kid is my reality, they intersect (the fun in the sun, laid back, driving down the pch air blowing in my hair and etc.,) but I feel like the reality is better. T.V. tends to show you limited views of LA and LA is way more dynamic than what t.v. shows in my opinion, there's a lot of everything here for everyone.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
A) Mexico City has nice neighborhoods too. Lots of them.

B) L.A. has huge Mexican-American communities, therefore it looks just like Mexico City? I guess Monterey Park looks just like Shangai, Glendale look like Yerevan, and Westminster is the spitting image of Ho Chi Minh City. Careful when you drive around there; Charlie lurks in the bush.
I stopped responding to him a long time ago. He's a troll.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
LA born, east coast influenced. lol, people can tell that I'm not from here(even though I am). Especially with my large playlist of Chicago and New York hip hop..
We share the same musical taste I see. Not a big fan of west coast hip hop to be honest.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:13 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,306,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taydigga View Post
At times I feel like what I saw on t.v. as a kid is my reality, they intersect (the fun in the sun, laid back, driving down the pch air blowing in my hair and etc.,) but I feel like the reality is better. T.V. tends to show you limited views of LA and LA is way more dynamic than what t.v. shows in my opinion, there's a lot of everything here for everyone.
I am torn on this. On one hand I relate, on the other I cannot. I come from the east originally and see
how powerful the promise of fun in the sun is and how Hollywood spins it to look so perfect. The people in the LA metro show me in other ways the reality of the grind.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
I am torn on this. On one hand I relate, on the other I cannot. I come from the east originally and see
how powerful the promise of fun in the sun is and how Hollywood spins it to look so perfect. The people in the LA metro show me in other ways the reality of the grind.
Yeah, of course there's that...but that goes without saying right. I'm talking as a whole. I think as a whole, that LA is dope. Literally thinking, then yeah, it's not all you see on tv, all the time everywhere but no place is so we are back to square one. But I hear what you're saying, there's probably a lot of people out here that are living such a hard life that they see what's on t.v. and laugh.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:59 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,306,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
on a related note, I still can't believe the Kardashians have been on for 7 seasons already
Perfect example of the fantasy wrapped up as reality and packaged as californication for the masses.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:04 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
I have always suspected people prefer the screen fantasy more to the reality of the city. This phenomenon is called "Californication" Movies and reality shows. Some of my favorite depictions, City Confidential, Heat, Down And out In Beverly Hills, Boys In The Hood. Funny how much power these depictions of LA have all over the world. What do you prefer? fantasy or reality?
Unfortunately, I fell for the fantasy.

The REAL LA is sad. Very sad.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:08 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,563,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Unfortunately, I fell for the fantasy.

The REAL LA is sad. Very sad.
It's not us- it's you.

But you're great gal, and we can still be friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles