Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 03:10 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,715,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post

I'm still going to read it though, because I want to see just how close it was to 2012 LA when I was there.
You do that. I will listen to Lou Reeds "Take a Walk on the Wild Side" and see just how close NY today is to that...

Don't try to tell me you all don't have your Broadway dreamers in NY.

A Walk On The Wild Side - YouTube

Quote:
The above is so common just about 80% of the people I met in LA. They're REAL occupation is Janitor, but the "dream" occupation they tell you when you first meet is "Set Designer" or "Screenwriter".
Kinda sounded like Harrison Ford to me. He worked as a carpenter on sets until George Lucas cast him in a bit part in American Graffitti and then as Han Solo in Star Wars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 03:14 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loloroj View Post
Uh no, it wasn't.....
I don't know it has a lot of elements of satire, at least as far as I read it. Most every passage borders on absurdity. I just read your commentary upthread and I think your interpretation is very valid (if you're right, see my opinion of the book below) but I see it as a satire while you see it as more of a criticism - I am sure it is a bit of both but I think West's tongue is planted a little deeper in his cheek than you do.

If not it's just another East Coast transplant complaining / exaggerating about the shallowness / superficiality of LA.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:21 PM

919 posts, read 1,782,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Apparently, it's the duty of the city of Los Angeles to supply you with a well-paying job in the career of your choice immediately upon arrival. Anything less, like paying your dues and/or enduring setbacks and failures (which is what the vast majority of successful people have to go through on their way to the top) and the L.A. fantasy has burst. That seems to be Marilyn's gripe. Oh yeah, no fridges in the apartments either. It's like a favela over here!
That is not the point. Propaganda and the advertising industry was created in order to sell you the image and not the reality. If the ad copy says that college is a place to go in order to have a career, and when they don't tell you that we're in a Depression and no jobs exist, yes, you can blame yourself that you fell for the lies, but that doesn't absolve those that promoted the lie.

The massive move to the Coasts, including SoCal, was based on the created vision of a certain way of life, better homes, better pay, better anything. This has nothing to do with individual failures, it has to do with an industry which has grown heavier and more intrusive in disseminating lies and deceit. That is why we have a PR/ad industry, because it is essential to sell stuff by not telling the truth. Socal is just a by product of that industry. Problem being it is getting much harder to resolve reality to image. Million dollar homes in formerly working class sections of Samo can only maintained based on fairy tales and the illusion that these homes are actually worth that kind of money. A dream industry which draws millions of people every generation cannot be maintained without that dream industry. It works, but only as false advertising works.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:21 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
Kinda sounded like Harrison Ford to me. He worked as a carpenter on sets until George Lucas cast him in a bit part in American Graffitti and then as Han Solo in Star Wars.
Yep. Even the most well-known artists / authors had to have day jobs before they hit it big.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
That is not the point. Propaganda and the advertising industry was created in order to sell you the image and not the reality. If the ad copy says that college is a place to go in order to have a career, and when they don't tell you that we're in a Depression and no jobs exist, yes, you can blame yourself that you fell for the lies, but that doesn't absolve those that promoted the lie.

The massive move to the Coasts, including SoCal, was based on the created vision of a certain way of life, better homes, better pay, better anything. This has nothing to do with individual failures, it has to do with an industry which has grown heavier and more intrusive in disseminating lies and deceit. That is why we have a PR/ad industry, because it is essential to sell stuff by not telling the truth. Socal is just a by product of that industry. Problem being it is getting much harder to resolve reality to image. Million dollar homes in formerly working class sections of Samo can only maintained based on fairy tales and the illusion that these homes are actually worth that kind of money. A dream industry which draws millions of people every generation cannot be maintained without that dream industry. It works, but only as false advertising works.
Pretty sure jobs exist out there. Unemployment isn't that bad, we could be Greece afterall.

My family moved to CA for jobs. And hasn't moved away because we like it here. /shrug

Seems to me you are pumping out your own bit of Propaganda...

Old 01-23-2013, 03:29 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,563,422 times
Quote:
Like millions before and AFTER me.

But...it's not "satire".

This part stood out the most to me in one of the reviews:

The Day of the Locust - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The above is so common just about 80% of the people I met in LA. They're REAL occupation is Janitor, but the "dream" occupation they tell you when you first meet is "Set Designer" or "Screenwriter".

I'm still going to read it though, because I want to see just how close it was to 2012 LA when I was there.
Then you either sought or attracted that. I've lived here most my life and its simply untrue.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Then you either sought or attracted that. I've lived here most my life and its simply untrue.
Well, Marilyn might be a paralegal or legal asst of some type and had a hard time finding permanent employment in a law firm I take it.

Seems strange to me as I'm an insurance adjuster and know there's absolutely no shortage of lawyers in LA. /shrug

Marilyn moved back to NY and now complains about LA on the forums.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:37 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
Well, Marilyn might be a paralegal or legal asst of some type and had a hard time finding permanent employment in a law firm I take it.

Seems strange to me as I'm an insurance adjuster and know there's absolutely no shortage of lawyers in LA. /shrug

Marilyn moved back to NY and now complains about LA on the forums.
And complains about NYC! I was beginning to wonder what city Marilyn IS happy with.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:40 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,452,476 times
Quote:
It's only literary if you don't get the point. That might be the mechanism, the story is based on fact. The Depression took place, much of why it occurred was on the lies disseminated by Wall Street ad copy and fanciful belief in American exceptionalism. The problem isn't solely with people, if that was the case, then there would never have been a need to create an advertising or mass media that would promote this kind of nonsense. If it was simply people just being stupid, then there would never have been a need for a man such as Edward Bernays, who used the power of propaganda and mass media in order to manufacture a consent among people who would never had gone along with the nonsense unless they were deceived.

West was writing about the destruction of economies and the displacement that takes place with that destruction. One of the most interesting scenes was when the door to door salesmen came and did his routine in order to try to sell some medicine. He had been a vaudeville performer, skilled in both dance and singing, a live performer, when entertainment needed skilled technicians who knew the art of performance. The creation of the film industry had destroyed live performance, the workers who had taken years to perfect their craft had been displaced by celluloid caricatures, and the regional and local theatre which supported and maintained vaudeville was destroyed. The displaced migrated to Socal, looking for work and a promise of a better world, which simply didn't exist. That was a reality that West wrote to, much as Steinbeck wrote about the environmental destruction that preceded The Dust Bowl and dislocated millions of Midwest and Southern farmers, who also had been beguiled into thinking that the farm practices that destroyed tress and original prairies wouldn't cause harm.

More to the point, nothing is unique, not even Los Angeles, or better, the image of Los Angeles. The reality is that LA is semi desert, the barren plains could never have maintained the image of bounty unless water was stolen from people in Central California. The fertile lands which did support a much smaller, less delusional, population, resided mostly along the oceans and alluvial flood planes along the Santa Ana and Los Angeles rivers, which have been cemented over to create strip malls and parking lots. Another, possibly better book, regarding the recollections of immigrants to Los Angeles is Louis Adamic's 'Laughing in the Jungle,' published in 1932, which chronicles the massage parlors, fortune tellers, New Age charlatans, and the delusions of so many who that came to Los Angeles and found something quite different. Yup, massage parlors, fortune tellers and New Age charlatans existed in LA from at least the 1920's. Nothing new under the sun, which underscores that when someone tells you that some place is really different and unique, you'd be much better off not believing such nonsense....
Don't you recognize the self-perpetuation of illusion here, which is the POINT of the thread in the first place? As to your other claims ("desert" and water), the utter irony is those facts are informed probably by a movie! You may be convinced you know the reality but if you're truly interested in the subject you can research it for facts as opposed to popular conceptions.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
And complains about NYC! I was beginning to wonder what city Marilyn IS happy with.
Well, I'm in Fresno and without a natural home forum so I read alot of all of CA sub-forums and respond when interested enough. She seems to like SF somewhat. /shrug
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles