U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2013, 08:33 PM

26 posts, read 53,807 times

Advertisements

I don't understand this. If you have lived here for years and years, doesn't that mean you might just kinda like it? If New York is so great for the people and everything it has to offer, doesn't that make you not up to the standard you are creating by not being in control of your life and making things happen (aka "building your world" and moving back?) If you truly didn't enjoy Los Angeles, apart from certain circumstances, I would think most of you would leave. Seems to me like a lot of adopted Angelenos have a hard time admitting they actually do enjoy Los Angeles.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 08:39 PM

10,687 posts, read 5,539,323 times
Probably the cool thing. Usually i think it's the locals who are more jaded. I had the rare luxury of not experiencing that jadedness by being away for years. Now I find it fascinating. Most people to realize that they are in the 2nd biggest world class city in the U.S. Just behind it's big brother New York.

What better cities than the top 3? NYC LA and Chi..

Old 01-20-2013, 09:02 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,163,057 times
I guess its kinda like being in a loveless marriage, no matter jow much you despise the other person, youre forced to stay for the sake of the kids

Old 01-21-2013, 07:50 AM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 12,479,167 times
It seems that recent transplants are the ones who really enjoy LA, no?

Old 01-21-2013, 08:15 AM

62 posts, read 123,571 times
Maybe they're stuck.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:54 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,271,247 times
I'm a recent transplant and I love it. If that changes, I'll leave. It's REALLY popular to hate LA right now. A lot of my friends do that but then anytime I post a pic of a sunny day in January (This week has been AWESOME!) on the beach, in the canyons, they comment all over them how jealous they are.
It was popular to hate NYC in the 80's until Seinfeld and Friends made it cool again.

City popularity is cyclical (assuming a city is working to offer a community people find attractive). I spent years in Austin when it was just becoming hyped up. For years I've gotten big smiles and instant popularity when I travel by saying I lived in Austin. It's pointless! I'm not more or less awesome because I lived there.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:00 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,547,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
It seems that recent transplants are the ones who really enjoy LA, no?
Nah man, I been here since 98, love it more every year.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:36 PM

671 posts, read 1,114,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Probably the cool thing. Usually i think it's the locals who are more jaded. I had the rare luxury of not experiencing that jadedness by being away for years. Now I find it fascinating. Most people to realize that they are in the 2nd biggest world class city in the U.S. Just behind it's big brother New York.

What better cities than the top 3? NYC LA and Chi..

I've got to agree with you, LA, NYC, and Chi really are the only really great cities in the USA. Now, I LOVE San Fran and adore Seattle, and have liked a good many other cities I have visited and not impressed with a few more, so I'm NOT putting down all other cities, just enhancing how great the top 3 really are. Be careful because I believe Houston is set to replace Chicago as the 3rd largest city by population, so the category of top 3 will have a new member soon, at one's expense.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
I'm a recent transplant and I love it. If that changes, I'll leave. It's REALLY popular to hate LA right now. A lot of my friends do that but then anytime I post a pic of a sunny day in January (This week has been AWESOME!) on the beach, in the canyons, they comment all over them how jealous they are.
It was popular to hate NYC in the 80's until Seinfeld and Friends made it cool again.

City popularity is cyclical (assuming a city is working to offer a community people find attractive). I spent years in Austin when it was just becoming hyped up. For years I've gotten big smiles and instant popularity when I travel by saying I lived in Austin. It's pointless! I'm not more or less awesome because I lived there.
NY hating goes back to the bankruptcy of the 1970's and the many problems NYC let fester. NYC in the 1970's really was a kind of hell, but soon after, the "I Love New York" campaign and NYC, finally, addressing many of the problems of the city went a long way to improving NYC as a place to live and visit. I have to say that somethings as simple (and expensive) as the NYC and LA transit policy of ZERO tolerance for graffiti on buses and trains really has a huge psychological impact for the better.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:48 PM

So many visitor or wanna be residents are so enamored with Santa Monica. It's not a bad place, but I just don't know a single local in all of the entire LA region (including myself) who would want to LIVE in Santa Monica. I stopped visiting regularly a long time ago, and I did live there with an aunt for awhile, but never cared to go back to LIVE there. Anyway, we love you Santa Monica, to visit on occasion. Ironically, for local So Cal residents, Santa Monica just has too many attributes that most find unappealing to LIVE there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles